Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Jan 2003 priority date = cut off date too?

Wikiposts

Jan 2003 priority date = cut off date too?

Old Mar 25th 2009, 1:00 am
Just Joined

cdnabroad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Jan 2003 priority date = cut off date too?

Please clarify this for me. . . I have a January 2003 priority date.

I was under the impression that when the Department of State was 'processing' an application with the current cut off date (April 2009's cut off) i.e. 15AUG02 that all applications that had been submitted before this date were then moved to the final stages for permanent residency. . i.e. medical exam, interview dates arranged etc.

But someone has told me recently that to do the final interview, your date must be before the cut-off date. That the NVC processes things in advance.

With only 5 months between the current cut off date Aug 02, any my priority date of Jan 2003, shouldn't I have heard something by now, do I need to start chasing this up?

Or have I been misinformed.

Help me wise ones!
Old Mar 25th 2009, 1:36 am
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jan 2003 priority date = cut off date too?

Originally Posted by cdnabroad
With only 5 months between the current cut off date Aug 02, any my priority date of Jan 2003, shouldn't I have heard something by now, do I need to start chasing this up?

Or have I been misinformed.

Help me wise ones!
I probably need more caffeine as I'm not entirely certain I understand your question

If they are processing Aug02 (and earlier) and your PD is Jan03 they won't be doing anything with your case yet. If the 'cutoff date' was say Feb03 I would guess that there's a chance they maybe doing something........

But from your info I wouldn't say that your current yet......

Time for more coffee methinks
Old Mar 25th 2009, 1:56 am
Just Joined

cdnabroad is an unknown quantity at this point

But someone has told me recently that to do the final interview, your date must be before the cut-off date. That the NVC processes things in advance.

So if things are processed in advance. . . and my cut off date is Jan03 and they are processing Aug 02, should I have heard from them yet?

My category is adult child of a US citizen.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 4:59 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cdnabroad

Hi:

You have not been misinformed. However, you are victim of what is a very common fallacy -- that visa availability moves in linear fashion -- it does not.

I often the following analogy -- you are in line to see a very popular movie, with showings every two hours at 7:00, 9:00 and 11:00. Now lets say you are told that people who got in line at 6:30 will get into the 7:00 show. What show will you get into? Before you say 9:00 because you got in line at 6:50 [notice the time slippage already], you should note that I did not the number of people in front of you!

In other words, the Visa Bulletin can be a very poor predictor of future visa availability.

What you should do now is to make sure that NVC has current addresses for your parents [the petitioners] and for you.

My understanding is that NVC contacts you when they think it is more likely than not that you will be current in a year.