Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Jack_Carpenter's Immigrant Visa questions

Wikiposts

Jack_Carpenter's Immigrant Visa questions

Old Jan 30th 2012, 10:25 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jack_Carpenter's Immigrant Visa questions

Originally Posted by Jack_Carpenter
Due to my wife being pregnant(giving birth after she files the I-130) meaning she'd be a single mom until after christmas I guess, would the government consider speeding up the process...
No.

... or would they ignore that and just continue as usual?
Yep, this one.

Rene
Old Jan 30th 2012, 10:27 am

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Due to my wife being pregnant(giving birth after she files the I-130) meaning she'd be a single mom until after christmas I guess, would the government consider speeding up the process or would they ignore that and just continue as usual?
No one gets special treatment; the process would continue as usual.

If it were possible to speed it up due to the birth of a baby, imagine how many people would use that loophole to the possible detriment of a child...
Old Jan 30th 2012, 10:30 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

To paraphrase a popular saying, 'Failure to do family planning on your part does not create an emergency on the government's part.'

We'd have another baby boom if it were otherwise.

Regards, JEff

Due to my wife being pregnant(giving birth after she files the I-130) meaning she'd be a single mom until after christmas I guess, would the government consider speeding up the process or would they ignore that and just continue as usual?
Old Jan 30th 2012, 10:30 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by avanutria
No one gets special treatment; the process would continue as usual.

If it were possible to speed it up due to the birth of a baby, imagine how many people would use that loophole to the possible detriment of a child...
In addition, having a child does not guarantee visa approval. If you otherwise (for whatever reason) don't qualify to get the visa, and there's no waiver for the reason you don't qualify, having a child doesn't overcome that.

Rene
Old Jan 30th 2012, 10:31 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Due to my wife being pregnant...
Respectfully, the US government isn't concerned with your lack of planning!

... would the government consider speeding up the process...
No.

Ian
Old Jan 30th 2012, 10:41 am

I visited the US in the summer last year and during my 90 day stay under the waiver program, I was married to the most amazing woman I have ever met, she is now 6 months pregnant with my child and I am planning on flying back in April to be there for the birth of our son.

I am unsure on what visa I should be going for and I was wondering if it was possible to some how stay there after my 90 days are up from April, I have booked a return flight under the waiver program again, but I would very much like to stay in the country to live... Is there any possible way this could be done?
Here's a proposed timeline for you. Have her file the I-130 ASAP, let's say by early February (as she needs some things from you, it might take a couple of weeks to get those so she can file). Filing in early February 2012 could possibly get you an Immigrant Visa around October / November 2012.

You are currently apart and doing OK. You're going to be coming to the USA on the VWP for a visit in April...you don't say how long you'll be staying (but it sounds like you're prepared to stay forever, so you must not have much to go back to the UK for), so I assume you plan to stay about 88 days (never push your luck to stay the whole 90 days, in case of flight problems, etc). So that means you'll be going back to the UK around July 2012. That means only 3 or 4 months of living apart again until you can legally move to the USA forever. That shouldn't be too hard to manage, right?

I think when you see a timeline in writing like that, the idea becomes more manageable. You'll be spending nearly 3 months together right in the middle of the visa process, which is ideal.

Rene
Old Jan 30th 2012, 11:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

With the greatest of respect, maybe you should have thought of how you would live with the mother of your child some 6 months ago.
Old Jan 30th 2012, 12:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

She could move to the UK within that timeline.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 12:15 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
With the greatest of respect, maybe you should have thought of how you would live with the mother of your child some 6 months ago.
Something doesn't quite add up... if they met in August she must have become pregnant within days of their meeting if she is now 6 months pregnant. While I understand not marrying until October - which is probably when she realized she was pregnant... why didn't his wife file the petition then? There's no indication, in any of what he's written, that either of them thought about immigration as part of the equation. The application fee isn't all that much so it's probably not a money issue. Why now, at the end of January, is he suddenly concerned about being in the US as soon as possible? He knew she was pregnant before he left, so why the delay on her part? Maybe she doesn't actually want him to live with her in the US!

There's probably a good reason for the delay in filing... but it does seem a tad curious!

Further, we still have no idea whether or not the wife is a US citizen! He's never answered that question!

Ian