Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Issue with my husband's tax return

Wikiposts

Issue with my husband's tax return

Old Jul 3rd 2008, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Issue with my husband's tax return

Originally Posted by LynannC
If he doesn't file jointly he still needs to provide either a SSN or ITIN for me, and we don't have either yet, and can't get either without me sending over my passport for who knows how long, which just isn't an option for me right now.
This is not correct. My wife files "married, filing separately" and I don't have an ITIN. She has never had any problems because of this.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

You're correct - but that aspect of the post was addressed earlier in the thread and cleared up.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 10:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
You're correct - but that aspect of the post was addressed earlier in the thread and cleared up.
Actually, to be pedantic what I wrote earlier was not 100% correct: my wife couldn't file her tax returns online since I didn't have an ITIN. She had to print them out and send them by regular mail. Then they lost some of the documents and she had to send them again - twice. But she didn't have any other problems and in the end they accepted her tax returns.

A couple of years ago there was a rumour circulating among the US expat community in London that all British spouses would have to get ITIN's. That seems to have been caused by unclear information provided by the IRS.