Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

IR1 Interview Experience at the London Embassy

IR1 Interview Experience at the London Embassy

Old Nov 19th 2014, 6:26 pm
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute
Default IR1 Interview Experience at the London Embassy

I really benefitted from reading through the interview experiences that have been posted here previously, as I like to research and be as prepared as possible in advance of these kind of ‘things'.
Many have noted on here previously that the interview itself is usually pretty anti-climactic, not least after several months’ worth of form filling and patient waiting.
My case was no different, but for anyone else who may be interested I thought I would offer a brief write-up.

I live in London, so simply left my house early enough to ensure I arrived at Bond Street Station in plenty of time. I stopped for a St Arbucks on the walk down, and joined the small queue that had formed already (7am).

If you’re filing DCF in London you may have been to the Embassy previously for US Citizen’s consular services - those services are admitted via the security on the left side of the building. The Visa services (which I was there for) are admitted to the right.
Before we were admitted through security, our line (now growing fast) was shifted in to three different locations. This being the UK, everyone somehow managed to keep order and go with it, finding their right position in each instance. Closer to the 7.45am, the outsourced services people contracted to process the line outside started checking and processing applicants.
You need to have your passport, DS-260 (or 160) and interview letter ready for these guys, and again for security, which is where you go to next.
They will ask you to remove your belt and watch, and give you a plastic bag to put your phone into.

After security, you are directed to an initial desk who will check your letter and give you a ticket with a number. You then sit in a large hall with a big screen which at 8am displays ticket numbers. Lots of ‘L’ numbers flashed up whilst I was there, presumably for Non-Immigrant Visas. Being as I applied for an Immigrants’ visa, my number was an ‘I’ number.

My number quickly came up (I was near the front of the queue in the morning), and the first window was more of a formality - the lady was quite pleasant and simply requested the documents that the Embassy checklist notes - passport, birth certificate, marriage certificate, 864’s with 1040’s etc. She was pleased that everything was provided in an orderly fashion (thank you mrs username.exe) and provided me a slip to take to the cashier in order to pay.

Unfortunately, when I went to pay, the card machine was not functioning. Apparently this has been an issue for a few days now, so if you’re going to be visiting shortly (looking at you WriterChick!) I suggest you take cash!!
I never carry cash on my person, so I had to go back to the original window, get my passport and have her write a note for security. I then had to leave the building, hotfoot it towards Oxford Street, locate an atm and return to the Embassy passing through the Security process again. What a pain! My anxiety was not helped by the fact that I had an important meeting to prepare for at work later in the morning, and the thought of being late for it was beginning to make me panic.

As soon as I was back in the building I returned to the cashier to pay in cash (208 GBP for the IR1 currently), and promptly had to return my passport to the lady at the first window.
I then returned to my seat to wait for my number to flash up again.
At this point (around 9am-ish), the hall was very busy and indeed almost full of applicants. Many people had brought either their kindle or a tablet of some description. I had no issues getting a data connection on my phone (on the O2 network - I’d previously had issues with this when visiting the US citizens’ side with my wife).

Finally my number came up for the interview ‘proper’.
The interview was very brief (no more than seven or eight minutes) total. After swearing an oath and providing fingerprint scans, there was a little chit chat with the Consular Officer, followed by some serious questions:
- How long have you been married?
- Do you have kids?
- Why do you want to move to the States?
- Where are you planning to live?
- (Enquiry as to the employment status of my joint sponsor)
- A question on whether we have any other assets to support ourselves whilst in the states (at this point I provided a copy of the balance on our mortgage and the written offer for the sale of our house)

Before I knew it the Consular Officer was shuffling forms and mentioning that ‘we’re all done here’. I must have had a bit of a blank look on my face, wondering what was going on when she stopped to emphasise: ‘That’s it. You’re approved, you’ll receive your visa in five to ten working days.’
Hooray!

A quick call to mrs username.exe to deliver the good news (and bemoan the fact that I was carrying around a MASSIVE folder of supporting evidence, 95% of which was unused), and I was on my way.

Today is a day that marks the start of a new adventure for our family; I know it’s not going to be easy, but I’m relishing the opportunity to live ‘life’ in a different way…

Many thanks indeed to all who have helped during the process, especially to Ian and Rene who have been ever present on the Marriage Related Visas board.
Old Nov 19th 2014, 6:44 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IR1 Interview Experience at the London Embassy

Congratulations!

Rene
Old Nov 19th 2014, 6:45 pm
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations!
Old Nov 19th 2014, 7:12 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by username.exe
Before I knew it the Consular Officer was shuffling forms and mentioning that ‘we’re all done here’. I must have had a bit of a blank look on my face, wondering what was going on when she stopped to emphasise: ‘That’s it. You’re approved, you’ll receive your visa in five to ten working days.’
Yay! Congratulations! Well done.

Ian
Old Nov 20th 2014, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

Dracia will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by username.exe
I really benefitted from reading through the interview experiences that have been posted here previously, as I like to research and be as prepared as possible in advance of these kind of ‘things'.
Many have noted on here previously that the interview itself is usually pretty anti-climactic, not least after several months’ worth of form filling and patient waiting.
My case was no different, but for anyone else who may be interested I thought I would offer a brief write-up.

I live in London, so simply left my house early enough to ensure I arrived at Bond Street Station in plenty of time. I stopped for a St Arbucks on the walk down, and joined the small queue that had formed already (7am).

If you’re filing DCF in London you may have been to the Embassy previously for US Citizen’s consular services - those services are admitted via the security on the left side of the building. The Visa services (which I was there for) are admitted to the right.
Before we were admitted through security, our line (now growing fast) was shifted in to three different locations. This being the UK, everyone somehow managed to keep order and go with it, finding their right position in each instance. Closer to the 7.45am, the outsourced services people contracted to process the line outside started checking and processing applicants.
You need to have your passport, DS-260 (or 160) and interview letter ready for these guys, and again for security, which is where you go to next.
They will ask you to remove your belt and watch, and give you a plastic bag to put your phone into.

After security, you are directed to an initial desk who will check your letter and give you a ticket with a number. You then sit in a large hall with a big screen which at 8am displays ticket numbers. Lots of ‘L’ numbers flashed up whilst I was there, presumably for Non-Immigrant Visas. Being as I applied for an Immigrants’ visa, my number was an ‘I’ number.

My number quickly came up (I was near the front of the queue in the morning), and the first window was more of a formality - the lady was quite pleasant and simply requested the documents that the Embassy checklist notes - passport, birth certificate, marriage certificate, 864’s with 1040’s etc. She was pleased that everything was provided in an orderly fashion (thank you mrs username.exe) and provided me a slip to take to the cashier in order to pay.

Unfortunately, when I went to pay, the card machine was not functioning. Apparently this has been an issue for a few days now, so if you’re going to be visiting shortly (looking at you WriterChick!) I suggest you take cash!!
I never carry cash on my person, so I had to go back to the original window, get my passport and have her write a note for security. I then had to leave the building, hotfoot it towards Oxford Street, locate an atm and return to the Embassy passing through the Security process again. What a pain! My anxiety was not helped by the fact that I had an important meeting to prepare for at work later in the morning, and the thought of being late for it was beginning to make me panic.

As soon as I was back in the building I returned to the cashier to pay in cash (208 GBP for the IR1 currently), and promptly had to return my passport to the lady at the first window.
I then returned to my seat to wait for my number to flash up again.
At this point (around 9am-ish), the hall was very busy and indeed almost full of applicants. Many people had brought either their kindle or a tablet of some description. I had no issues getting a data connection on my phone (on the O2 network - I’d previously had issues with this when visiting the US citizens’ side with my wife).

Finally my number came up for the interview ‘proper’.
The interview was very brief (no more than seven or eight minutes) total. After swearing an oath and providing fingerprint scans, there was a little chit chat with the Consular Officer, followed by some serious questions:
- How long have you been married?
- Do you have kids?
- Why do you want to move to the States?
- Where are you planning to live?
- (Enquiry as to the employment status of my joint sponsor)
- A question on whether we have any other assets to support ourselves whilst in the states (at this point I provided a copy of the balance on our mortgage and the written offer for the sale of our house)

Hooray!

A quick call to mrs username.exe to deliver the good news (and bemoan the fact that I was carrying around a MASSIVE folder of supporting evidence, 95% of which was unused), and I was on my way.

Today is a day that marks the start of a new adventure for our family; I know it’s not going to be easy, but I’m relishing the opportunity to live ‘life’ in a different way…

Many thanks indeed to all who have helped during the process, especially to Ian and Rene who have been ever present on the Marriage Related Visas board.
Congrats!

I was there on Tuesday and our line was also moved a number of times. Luckily everyone kept their places even when the line was reversed.

Someone I know went on Monday and the fingerprint system went down, meaning she had to go back yesterday and try it again. Thankfully it worked and to make up for the inconvenience, they printed her visa for her there and then!
Old Nov 20th 2014, 10:11 am

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Someone I know went on Monday and the fingerprint system went down, meaning she had to go back yesterday and try it again. Thankfully it worked and to make up for the inconvenience, they printed her visa for her there and then!
That's actually pretty cool, they don't have to do that but nice that they recognise the inconvenience.
Old Nov 20th 2014, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

EmmaFrances is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for posting your experience and congratulations!
Old Nov 20th 2014, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

WriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond repute

YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was thinking about you all day yesterday and today!!! YAYAAYAY!!!!

Thank you for the 'cash' tip! Will do! Going to bank machine first thing in the morning!!!
Old Nov 20th 2014, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by WriterChick
YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was thinking about you all day yesterday and today!!! YAYAAYAY!!!!

Thank you for the 'cash' tip! Will do! Going to bank machine first thing in the morning!!!
Good luck tomorrow!

I forgot to mention, mrs username.exe had something crop up at the last minute so couldn't come anyway, but I hope they have your name on the list anyway
Old Nov 20th 2014, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

WriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond repute

We emailed on the link you sent us and we got this response THE SAME DAY!!!
Which I'm printing, and bringing!!!

THANK YOU!!!

London, InfoUnit
19 Nov (1 day ago)

Thank you for your email.

Your wife’s name (MY NAME HERE) will be added to the access list for November 21st. She should bring her U.S. passport as identification.

Sincerely,

Consular Information Unit
U.S. Embassy, London
CONS/CIU/GS
cid:[email protected] cid:[email protected] slideshare-logo-300x300.png wordpress_48_0.png

If you have any further questions regarding this matter, you may reply to this email. Please ensure that you include the entire email chain, or your correspondence will be deleted.
Please note that if your query is answered on our website, you will not receive a further response.
Old Nov 20th 2014, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

Dally is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations!!!
Old Nov 21st 2014, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

We were approved!!!
The card machine was working but we paid cash.
All they took was his passport, birth certificate, police certificate, our marriage certificate, the sponsor form and one year of tax returns from me, the joint sponsor form, one year of his tax returns, and a copy of his passport.
That was it.
They didn't ask us ANY questions at all. Nothing.
They gave us a disk and said it was a scan.
Then they said, 'You are approved.'
Oh... And we met Steve Coogan in the waiting room, and I totally made him laugh!!!
The whole thing took an hour and 20 minutes once we were inside.
Old Nov 21st 2014, 12:41 pm

We were approved!!!
Hooray!! Congratulations, it's *almost* all over. If you're anything like me yuo'll be logging into the the system every 30mins to see if it's still in 'administrative processing'!

All they took was his passport, birth certificate, police certificate, our marriage certificate, the sponsor form and one year of tax returns from me, the joint sponsor form, one year of his tax returns, and a copy of his passport.
That was it.
They didn't ask us ANY questions at all. Nothing.
Wow, you guys must have looked very trustworthy!

Oh... And we met Steve Coogan in the waiting room, and I totally made him laugh!!!
I'm jealous, what happened? Love Steve Coogan!
Old Nov 21st 2014, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

He came in and sat down right next to us, poor guy. So, I just kinda messed with him a bit. My husband's sister is an actor and they did something together three years ago, so I told him who my husband is, and we all chatted. It was for like five minutes. But I made him laugh a few times, and then he said I'm funny, and I told him I'm funnier than he is, and he agreed.

What do we do now???

We pick something up at a courier? The passport, right? And an envelope we don't open?

We registered to pick it up. Do they call? Email?
Old Nov 21st 2014, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

I just looked and mine says 'Admin Processing'!!!

YAYAYAYAYAY!!!!!!

(Is that good? HAHA!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.