Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

IR1 entry period to USA and medical validity - the 6 month question

IR1 entry period to USA and medical validity - the 6 month question

Old Jul 11th 2016, 6:38 am
Just Joined

LA2016 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IR1 entry period to USA and medical validity - the 6 month question

I'm going through the process to obtain an IR1 visa and I completed my medical on 20 June and have my interview scheduled for early September. I've read conflicting advice as to what date the visa is valid from (i.e. how long to enter the USA), I know it's 6 months but I'm not clear whether it's 6 months from the date of the medical or 6 months from the date of the interview.

Can anyone confirm if it's 6 months from the medical or 6 months from the interview date?

Logically it would be 6 months from the date of the interview, but if that's so, what if the medical (assuming it's valid for 6 months) is way before the the interview? Can you take a second medical closer to the interview date to extend the period?

Many thanks for any help on this...
Old Jul 11th 2016, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

Jackie3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IR1 entry period to USA and medical validity - the 6 month question

Originally Posted by LA2016
I'm going through the process to obtain an IR1 visa and I completed my medical on 20 June and have my interview scheduled for early September. I've read conflicting advice as to what date the visa is valid from (i.e. how long to enter the USA), I know it's 6 months but I'm not clear whether it's 6 months from the date of the medical or 6 months from the date of the interview.

Can anyone confirm if it's 6 months from the medical or 6 months from the interview date?

Logically it would be 6 months from the date of the interview, but if that's so, what if the medical (assuming it's valid for 6 months) is way before the the interview? Can you take a second medical closer to the interview date to extend the period?

it is 6 weeks from the medical- my husband had his interview last week and the consulate officer made a point of saying that the medical would expire in December (his was also June) after she asked when we were planning on going over.
I have seen other users of the forum post that they had to repeat the medical if it had expired, and it would have to be done at Knightsbridge again.
Hope that helps!
Old Jul 11th 2016, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

Devakiri has a reputation beyond reputeDevakiri has a reputation beyond reputeDevakiri has a reputation beyond reputeDevakiri has a reputation beyond reputeDevakiri has a reputation beyond reputeDevakiri has a reputation beyond reputeDevakiri has a reputation beyond reputeDevakiri has a reputation beyond reputeDevakiri has a reputation beyond reputeDevakiri has a reputation beyond reputeDevakiri has a reputation beyond repute

It is 6 months from the date of the medical, so you would have until December to use the visa......My husband had his medical in May and has until November to use the visa, his interview was in June. Hope this helps and if I am wrong then someone will correct me.
Old Jul 11th 2016, 12:12 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

As the others have noted, it is 6 months from the date of the medical (and Jackie3 meant to say months rather than weeks). There was a time, about 5 or 6 years ago, when the visa was valid not from the date of the interview but from the date it was issued (which could have been several days or weeks later)... but that hasn't been true for many years now.

So, either you're reading old information or the people who are posting that information are idiots.

Ian
Old Jul 11th 2016, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

Jackie3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
As the others have noted, it is 6 months from the date of the medical (and Jackie3 meant to say months rather than weeks). There was a time, about 5 or 6 years ago, when the visa was valid not from the date of the interview but from the date it was issued (which could have been several days or weeks later)... but that hasn't been true for many years now.

So, either you're reading old information or the people who are posting that information are idiots.

Ian
Oops! 6 weeks is on my mind because that's when we are supposed to be going! Thanks for spotting it!
Old Jul 11th 2016, 12:31 pm
Just Joined

Many thanks everyone for the comments.

So, if it's 6 months from the date of the medical, and there is going to be a 3 month gap between the medical date and interview date, can I schedule and attend a new medical at Knightsbridge doctors say two weeks before the interview date (to allow for processing)?

Therefore at the interview the 6 months will run from the medical date just prior to the interview, rather than the one in June?

As a side note, I've seen posters say that the last entry date on the printed documentation is 6 months after the interview, but of course in reality it's based on the medical date. So I'm thinking is it possible to leave the interview date as is, assume that I am granted the visa in the interview and the last entry date is 6 months after the interview (but logistically it's 6 months from the medical as you need to have a valid medical for the whole period), and then get a new medical after the interview to get the full 6 month period?

Sorry I'm a little confused and any guidance is much appreciated.

Last edited by LA2016; Jul 11th 2016 at 12:36 pm.
Old Jul 11th 2016, 1:04 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... can I schedule and attend a new medical at Knightsbridge doctors say two weeks before the interview date (to allow for processing)?
Sure... but why would you want to? Unless you don't plan on entering the US prior to December 20, it makes no difference whatsoever! Seems like a complete waste of time, energy, and money!

Ian
Old Jul 11th 2016, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

Sure... but why would you want to? Unless you don't plan on entering the US prior to December 20, it makes no difference whatsoever! Seems like a complete waste of time, energy, and money!

Ian
I agree, but unfortunately as things have transpired I need to have as large a window as possible between the interview date and actually leaving the UK. That's why I wondered if I could redo the medical after the interview (presumably they give you six months to enter the US from the interview date and you have to have a valid medical within the past six months?) to gain the biggest window?

From what's been said, it sounds like the date is 6 months from the interview date provided you have a valid medical for that period; if you don't then it's 6 months from the date of the medical (if earlier), and if you redo the medical after the interview then it's 6 months from the interview date. Does that sound correct?
Old Jul 11th 2016, 1:24 pm
Account Closed

I need to have as large a window as possible between the interview date and actually leaving the UK.
You don't need to move by December 20... you only need to enter the US by December 20. You can immediately fly back home to wrap things up.

That's why I wondered if I could redo the medical after the interview (presumably they give you six months to enter the US from the interview date and you have to have a valid medical within the past six months?) to gain the biggest window?
Once the visa is approved, you can not reschedule another medical. If you really want another medical, you'll need to have it about 2 weeks prior to your interview. That said, if they have already received your first medical, there's no guarantee that they'll even look at or accept your 2nd medical. US immigration does not work at your convenience... they work at their own! They have no interest whatsoever in your travel plans

Ian
Old Jul 11th 2016, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

You don't need to move by December 20... you only need to enter the US by December 20. You can immediately fly back home to wrap things up.

Once the visa is approved, you can not reschedule another medical. If you really want another medical, you'll need to have it about 2 weeks prior to your interview. That said, if they have already received your first medical, there's no guarantee that they'll even look at or accept your 2nd medical. US immigration does not work at your convenience... they work at their own! They have no interest whatsoever in your travel plans

Ian
Unfortunately the key date for me is establishing tax residency in the US, and I believe that's when you set foot on US soil, so even if I flew back after that date, the only initial date would be the one for tax purposes.

There are processes I have to go through in the UK which will take 2-3 months (which I wasn't aware of when I did the medical earlier), so it leaves me a very small window.

The reason I ask is because others have alluded to having to retake the medical for precisely such reasons to get the full 6 month window.
Old Jul 11th 2016, 2:14 pm
Account Closed

Unfortunately the key date for me is establishing tax residency in the US...
If you don't redo the medical, you'll need to enter the US by December 20.

If you do redo the medical, you'll have until about late February to enter the US... so long as US Immigration accepts the 2nd medical. There's no guarantee that will happen.

Good luck to you.

Ian
Old Jul 11th 2016, 3:09 pm
Just Joined

If you don't redo the medical, you'll need to enter the US by December 20.

If you do redo the medical, you'll have until about late February to enter the US... so long as US Immigration accepts the 2nd medical. There's no guarantee that will happen.

Good luck to you.

Ian
Ian, many thanks for your help. I've found the London consular contact form so will drop them a line to see if they can offer any comment / advice on whether a second medical would be acceptable - will advise on what they say...

Thanks once again.
Old Jul 11th 2016, 3:55 pm
Account Closed

I've found the London consular contact form so will drop them a line to see if they can offer any comment / advice on whether a second medical would be acceptable - will advise on what they say...
Sounds like a plan. Keep in mind that the Consular Officer at your interview is not obligated to agree with or abide by anything posted to you via email or on the phone - even if it's from the Consulate! So, fair warning!

Ian
Old Jul 11th 2016, 8:42 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Keep in mind that the answer you receive may or may not be correct.

Rene
Old Jul 11th 2016, 11:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Keep in mind that the answer you receive may or may not be correct.

Rene
Hi Rene

Do you think it worth contacting the consulate? I get the sense it may not be, if their answers aren't binding...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.