Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

IR1 Consular Visa Interview - Supporting Documents??

IR1 Consular Visa Interview - Supporting Documents??

Old Oct 19th 2008, 5:01 pm
njc
Just Joined

njc is an unknown quantity at this point
Question IR1 Consular Visa Interview - Supporting Documents??

Hi - Wondering if you can help - I have my IR1 visa interview at the US embassy in London next week. Little bit of history my wife and I both live in the UK and are planning to move in May next year, she will be attending the interview with me. All documents are in order in regards to the I-864, medical, police cert etc. My question is - Is it necessary to take additional documents along to the interview in regards to showing our marriage is bonafide? for example wedding photos, joint bank account statements etc.

Any other pointers / tips would be great also.

Thanks in advance and its great to see such a good community online.

njc
Old Oct 19th 2008, 5:10 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IR1 Consular Visa Interview - Supporting Documents??

Originally Posted by njc
Hi - Wondering if you can help - I have my IR1 visa interview at the US embassy in London next week. Little bit of history my wife and I both live in the UK and are planning to move in May next year, she will be attending the interview with me. All documents are in order in regards to the I-864, medical, police cert etc. My question is - Is it necessary to take additional documents along to the interview in regards to showing our marriage is bonafide? for example wedding photos, joint bank account statements etc.

njc
Yes, take originals of anything you submitted copies of, just in case they want to see them. Bring the basics of the proof of your marriage, as you suggested.

Although May 2009 seems to be too late to move...you only have 6 months to use the visa, which means you will have to use it by April 2009.

Rene
Old Oct 19th 2008, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

Skiboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by njc

njc
Hi njc

You shouldn't need supporting evidence at the interview. I certainly had none, and we were fine. My wife also came along for the interview, and be aware that she will likely be told (as mine was) that she may not speak during the interview, as it was my interview. It is however absolutely OK that she is there.

By the way, you say you are moving over in May. You are aware that you must 'activate' your visa by entering the USA within 6 months of getting it.

All the best for your interview. I found the consular official who did me to be very friendly, so I'm sure you'll have no problems.

Paul
Old Oct 19th 2008, 5:52 pm
njc
Just Joined

Thanks so much for the quick replies - really helpful - in regards to the 6 months entry period - Due to work commitments I am only able to move end of May - Is it possible to fly over for a weekend get stamped in and then fly back to finish up over here for a month before returning??

Paul - Thanks for your response (it will be interesting to see the wife have to be quiet!) - If you dont mind me asking how long were you there for on the day?

Thanks - Nick
Old Oct 19th 2008, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by njc
a) All documents are in order in regards to the I-864, medical, police cert etc.

b) My question is - Is it necessary to take additional documents along to the interview in regards to showing our marriage is bonafide? for example wedding photos, joint bank account statements etc.
a) How are you going to show domicile or intent to domicile? That can be quite important depending on the mood of your interviewer. Do you have somewhere to live? Does the USC have any US bank accounts? Have you enrolled any kids in school or has the USC registered to vote?

I took a letter from my FIL stating that we would be staying on the family property until we got a place of our own.

b) I took joint bank statements, a few photos of the wedding and that was about it.

As you have been married over two years they will be more interested in domicile than whether your marriage is bona fide.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

Back2TheUSA is an unknown quantity at this point

'Scuse me for butting in, but we're in kind of a similar position to the OP. We've been married (in the US) since 2000; we moved to the UK in 2002 and are in the process of moving back - my own visa interview is next Thursday in London.

We have a joint bank account in the US; no property yet, but our house in the UK is sold with a handover date of October 31st (under two weeks). I've already sent some funds to the joint account in the US and more will be on the way as soon as I a) judge the time to be right and/or b) get the proceeds from selling our UK property.

We've not got any jobs to go to in the US (yet) but have the price of a London house (we're mortgage free) and additional funds both separately and jointly. My wife's job in the UK ends on Wednesday, the day before the visa interview.

Should we be expecting tough questions regarding domicile? You're making me nervous again ...
Old Oct 19th 2008, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

No you will be fine. You have US bank acount(s) set up. You have plenty of cash to satisfy the I-864 monetary requirement. The fact that your house is even on the market helps with domicile.

Under those circumstances, I'd be astounded if there was a problem.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

Back2TheUSA is an unknown quantity at this point

Phew. Now - once again - I need something to worry about. I'm sure a new concern will arise during the next 72-ish hours
Old Oct 19th 2008, 6:32 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by njc
Thanks so much for the quick replies - really helpful - in regards to the 6 months entry period - Due to work commitments I am only able to move end of May - Is it possible to fly over for a weekend get stamped in and then fly back to finish up over here for a month before returning?
Yes, this is possible.

Rene
Old Oct 19th 2008, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

Skiboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by njc
Thanks so much for the quick replies - really helpful - in regards to the 6 months entry period - Due to work commitments I am only able to move end of May - Is it possible to fly over for a weekend get stamped in and then fly back to finish up over here for a month before returning??

Paul - Thanks for your response (it will be interesting to see the wife have to be quiet!) - If you dont mind me asking how long were you there for on the day?

Thanks - Nick
Hi njc

Our interview was scheduled early (8.00 am), and we ended up second in the queue, so were not in there too long. Probably 2 to 3 hours from getting in to getting out. The 'interviews' themselves were pretty short. I think I said pretty much the same thing about my wife keeping quiet

And yes, you can fly in to activate the visa and then come back to the UK. We have done that to finish off sorting out moving and so on. I activated mine earlier this month. I am back in the UK now, and will be heading back in November.

And I should add that even though I didn't take any extra proof of our marriage (we've been married nearly 14 years, so not likely to be one of convenience), if it makes you feel more comfortable to have some additional stuff with you then take it. They'll either ask to see it or not...

Good luck

Paul
Old Oct 19th 2008, 9:01 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by njc
Is it possible to fly over for a weekend get stamped in and then fly back to finish up over here for a month before returning?
Yes... as long as you take your wife with you - you can't go by yourself.

Ian
Old Oct 19th 2008, 9:55 pm
njc
Just Joined

Wow - Thanks so much for all the replies really helpful - Feeling a lot more confident now. In regards to the points raised about proving you are prepared to set up domicile in the US - i have a letter from my father in law offering us accomodation until we find employment and we have also a decent ammount of cash into a US account in both my wife and I's name however dont have a bank statement as was just done beggining of Sept - I do have emails from the Forex company and can get internet print outs from the bank will this work? Thanks again - Nick
Old Oct 20th 2008, 2:40 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You'll be fine. Just remember that if you have to activate the IR visa before you actually move the USC must accompany you on the initial activation visit. You cannot enter without them.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by njc
In regards to the points raised about proving you are prepared to set up domicile in the US - i have a letter from my father in law offering us accomodation until we find employment and we have also a decent ammount of cash into a US account in both my wife and I's name however dont have a bank statement as was just done beggining of Sept
I had:

Letter from father in law exactly the same as you, stating we will be living with them
Proof that our UK house was on the market

That's pretty much it, I agree with Rete you will be fine.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 1:21 pm
Dizzy Blonde

clarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond repute

Its interesting to know that spouses can go into the interview with you. Is this just for people who have done DCF / IR1, or could my USC spouse who is here on a visitor visa come into the interview with me for my CR1?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.