Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

IR-1 Visa interview, approved pending ACRO check

IR-1 Visa interview, approved pending ACRO check

Old Mar 17th 2018, 9:27 am
Just Joined

khris is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IR-1 Visa interview, approved pending ACRO check

Hi all, I wonder if someone could shed some light on the situation I find myself in?

Yesterday, I had my immigrant visa interview at the new Embassy in London. All went well apart from at the end of the interview, the consular officer gave me a letter explaining the following:

We regret that we are unable to proceed with you application based on the information you have supplied
It goes on to say that I need to provide details of all prior convictions, and give the Embassy permission to check my record. The thing is, I did give them full details of my conviction (DUI in 2002). I provided 2 copies of my conviction court records. I also offered them my subject access report, but they didn't even want to look at it! I understand the setback is purely to give the Embassy permission they need to discuss my record with ACRO.

The interviewing officer didn't indicate that anything would be a problem, that we should inform them once I'd given them permission to look at my police records, which we have now done. She said it would only take a couple of days to confirm everything, after which and all being well the visa should be issued within the next 2 weeks.

I'm just a bit disappointed as we were hoping to be accepted on the day. After all my extensive research into how to avoid any delays in acceptance, I've never come across a situation like this.

Is this normal? Should I be worried at all?

Hoping someone can shed some light on this for me.

Many thanks, Chris
Old Mar 17th 2018, 2:23 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IR-1 Visa interview, approved pending ACRO check

It is normal to sometimes have the officer double check things. There is nothing you can do but wait, so I wouldn't worry.

Rene
Old Mar 17th 2018, 2:53 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

As Rene said, worrying isn't going to help and all you can do is wait.

Did they retain your passport or return it to you at the conclusion of the interview.
Old Mar 17th 2018, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

Just I'd never heard of it happening before, so wondered if there is anything to worry about. Guess there was nothing I could have done about it before the interview?

They did retain my passport, yes. I will take it that is a good sign.

Thanks for your prompt replies!
Old Mar 20th 2018, 9:04 am
Just Joined

Just to update that my VISA has now been issued!! So this setback didn't take long at all to sort out (3 working days from interview).

I'm so happy we can finally begin planning the move, yay! :-)
Old Mar 20th 2018, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 3:14 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations!