IR-1 / CR-1 timing

Old Sep 2nd 2012, 8:24 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IR-1 / CR-1 timing

Originally Posted by lisaleeds
I'm probably being silly, but I just want to avoid any potential problems at POE with regards to IR-1 eligibility.
There will not be any problems at the POE. You will politely point out you have been married for over two years, and ask to be admitted in category IR-1. The CBP officer will either type a C or I into the computer. That is all that happens at the POE. The proof needed will be in that big envelope the Embassy will give you to bring with you to give to the CBP officer.

A few weeks later the GC arrives and it will either be a 10 year or a 2 year one, depending on what the CBP officer typed. If you get a 2 year one, you return it pointing out the error and document the fact you landed in the US after you second anniversary.

Don't mess with the London interview date, that has potential to be a problem as well.
Old Sep 2nd 2012, 10:00 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

The immigration category written on the visa will (should) be based the age of the marriage at the time the visa application is approved, or at the time the visa is issued, I'm not sure which.

The immigration status that you will receive when you enter the USA will depend on the age of your marriage at the time you enter, without regard to anything the CBP officer writes in your passport or in your file.

You may wish to:
- ask the consular officer to hold off approval for a day so that the visa will have IR1 written on it (at the risk that the consular officer forgets and your application starts to gather dust instead of being approved),
- or discuss with the CBP officer that although your visa is marked CR1 you are actually IR1 based on your date of entry,
-or simply wait until your green card arrives in the mail, and file an I-90 if your green card says Conditional Permanent Resident.

Regards, JEff

Thanks everyone, I thought that if the interview was conducted after our 2 year anniversary the consular officer would issue an IR-1 visa, even though upon initial filing it would have been in the CR-1 category. Is that not the case?
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

JSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi everyone,

I've just read this post and have a (somewhat) related question:

My CR-1 visa interview has just been scheduled for the day before our 2 year anniversary (can you believe it) and I was wondering if the consular officer might process it as IR-1 instead (seeing as we will have been married for 2 years the very next day)?

I know I can always inform immigration at POE and get the visa status changed to IR-1, but would rather avoid this if possible as I've heard some horror stories about people running into difficulties.

James, what happened with the scheduling of your interview? Did it fall before or after your 2 year anniversary?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Hi Lisa,

In the end I had my interview a week before my 2nd anniversary. I was given CR1 category. I meant to ask the CO if there was any way to delay the processing and be given IR1 instead, but was so pleased just to be approved that I completely forgot. I'm not travelling to the US for at least another month so I haven't yet had the pleasure of asking the PoE officer to change it but hopefully it will be as easy as showing our marriage certificate. I'll let everyone know how it goes...

James
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 1:09 pm
Just Joined

lisaleeds is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone, I think I'll probably ask if they can delay the approval/processing for a day so that I meet the IR-1 requirements. If the CO is as scary as passport control in the US though I might reconsider...

James, please let me know how everything goes - I'd be really interested to hear a recent report.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 3:11 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Point of clarification - the CBP officer does not change anything. If you enter the USA after your second wedding anniversary you immediately become a Permanent Resident, not conditional, the law says so. A clerical error by a CBP officer does not change the law.

If the CBP officer does make a mistake, and you receive a Conditional Permanent Resident ID card, you submit an I-90 to have the mistake corrected.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by JSL8610
... I haven't yet had the pleasure of asking the PoE officer to change it ...
Old Sep 5th 2012, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

JSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Point of clarification - the CBP officer does not change anything. If you enter the USA after your second wedding anniversary you immediately become a Permanent Resident, not conditional, the law says so. A clerical error by a CBP officer does not change the law.

If the CBP officer does make a mistake, and you receive a Conditional Permanent Resident ID card, you submit an I-90 to have the mistake corrected.

Regards, JEff
Good info. Cheers Jeff
Old Sep 27th 2012, 5:10 pm
Just Joined

Hi everyone,

Apologies for pestering you all again but I have a quick question ahead of my CR-1 interview on Monday.

My husband (USC) lives and works in the UK and therefore does not have an income in the US (my father-in-law is co-sponsor so hopefully this should not be a problem). So, my question is: should my husband's current income on the I-864 be listed as 'zero'? Currently we have the form completed with his UK income translated into dollars, but after reading various threads on this forum I am concerned that we have filled it out incorrectly. Although he is transferring to the US with his current company we do not have any evidence of this as we did not want to put the 'formal transfer request' in until after the visa had been approved.

Anyway, if anyone knows the correct way to complete this form please let me know. I thought I was 100% ready for the interview until 10 minutes ago

Thanks!
Old Sep 27th 2012, 5:18 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

You are correct, he should list his current UK income where it asks for current income.

Rene
Old Sep 27th 2012, 5:43 pm

Point of clarification - your father-in-law is joint sponsor.
... my father-in-law is co-sponsor ...

No. As his US tax return(s) will document, his current income is not zero.
So, my question is: should my husband's current income on the I-864 be listed as 'zero'?
Regards, JEff
Old Sep 27th 2012, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

Hi, thanks for your speedy replies.

Yes, I meant joint-sponsor not co-sponsor. I will leave it as it is then with his current UK income translated into dollars (as documented in his tax return). To be on the safe side I will bring a second I-864 form to the interview with 'zero' listed. Probably completely unnecessary but better to be prepared.

Three days and counting!!

Thanks for your advice.
Old Sep 27th 2012, 6:26 pm

Shouldn't be necessary. The consular officer will have pen, if they want to see $0 they will cross out his number and enter a 0.

Regards, JEff

To be on the safe side I will bring a second I-864 form to the interview with 'zero' listed. Probably completely unnecessary but better to be prepared.
Old Sep 27th 2012, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

My wife was working in the UK when I had my interview. She put zero on her I-864. To be honest, I don't think it will make a difference either way - the CO is likely to be more interested in your Joint Sponsor's I-864. Besides, if the CO is unhappy with whatever you put, they can change it.
Old Oct 1st 2012, 11:08 am
Just Joined

Hi everyone,

Had my interview this morning and the visa has been approved! So happy! In the end I was issued the IR-1 with it being our 2 year anniversary tomorrow. Didn't even have to ask - she told me. Everything was really straight forward and I didn't need half of the documents I'd prepared. Still, better safe than sorry.

Thanks to everyone for your advice over the past few weeks - it has been much appreciated
Old Oct 1st 2012, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

holly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really nice

Congrats!! Thats great news
Old Oct 30th 2012, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

To follow up:

To the surprise of absolutely nobody, my green card arrived exactly 3 weeks after I arrived in the US with the (incorrect) CR1 category, even though I saw the officer at the PoE write IR1 on several pieces of paper (no idea what they were).

Filing form I-90 tomorrow. The journey continues...

On the bright side, my social security card arrived after just 2 trips to the local SSA office.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.