Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Inviting Overseas Family to Wedding

Wikiposts

Inviting Overseas Family to Wedding

Old Aug 16th 2002, 6:07 am
Poncho

Default Inviting Overseas Family to Wedding

I am a native born US Citizen and I fell in love with an Armenian girl who is here on
a tourist visa and we have decided to get married. Unfortunately, she was supposed to
leave a week ago according to her papers. We have set a wedding date in October. A
lawyer advised us that we should get married as soon as possible, even faster than we
have planned, because she is at risk until the wedding date. However, he said that
after we are married, we have no legal problem, we just need to file an adjustment of
status. I am comfortable with that.

He said, however, that it is very unlikely that her mom (57 years old) will be able
to come to the wedding since my fiance is out of status. He suggested that she just
apply for a normal tourist visa and that maybe they will let her in. Does anyone
have experience in doing this? What is her chance of getting in and is there
anything that can be done to improve her chances? I have offered to send an
invitation letter and sign an affidavid of support, but I am worried that she will be
rejected since I do not speak the same language as her mother.

Any suggestions?

Old Aug 16th 2002, 6:20 am
Matta Harri

Default Re: Inviting Overseas Family to Wedding

In article <3cb79.124861$UU1.21939@sccrnsc03>, "poncho" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I am a native born US Citizen and I fell in love with an Armenian girl who is here
    > on a tourist visa and we have decided to get married. Unfortunately, she was
    > supposed to leave a week ago according to her papers. We have set a wedding date in
    > October. A lawyer advised us that we should get married as soon as possible, even
    > faster than we have planned, because she is at risk until the wedding date.
    > However, he said that after we are married, we have no legal problem, we just need
    > to file an adjustment of status. I am comfortable with that. He said, however,
    > that it is very unlikely that her mom (57 years old) will be able to come to the
    > wedding since my fiance is out of status. He suggested that she just apply for a
    > normal tourist visa and that maybe they will let her in. Does anyone have
    > experience in doing this? What is her chance of getting in and is there anything
    > that can be done to improve her chances? I have offered to send an invitation
    > letter and sign an affidavid of support, but I am worried that she will be rejected
    > since I do not speak the same language as her mother. Any suggestions?
Her best chance for a tourist visa hinges on two things: money, and intent to
return home. Those are the two things that she must show the consulate to try to
get a tourist visa. Most rejections result from inadequate reason to return to the
home country.

She should show bank account, property, employer, and any other ties she may have to
her country. An employer letter stating how long she will be gone and when she is
expected to return would be nice too.

If she does not get the visa, suggest you consider a nice trip to Armenia, and have a
"2nd marriage", throw a big wedding bash for the family and friends over there, and
start learning the language <grin>.

matta

Old Aug 16th 2002, 6:42 am
Michael Voight

poncho wrote:
    > I am a native born US Citizen and I fell in love with an Armenian girl who is here
    > on a tourist visa and we have decided to get married. Unfortunately, she was
    > supposed to leave a week ago according to her papers. We have set a wedding date in
    > October. A lawyer advised us that we should get married as soon as possible, even
    > faster than we have planned, because she is at risk until the wedding date.

Wouldn't that give the appearance of getting married to stay in the country?

However, he said that after we are
    > married, we have no legal problem, we just need to file an adjustment of status. I
    > am comfortable with that.

That all depends on what what she told DOS and INS to get into the US. Getting
married on a tourist visa does have potential problems.

> He said, however, that it is very unlikely that her mom (57 years old) will be able
    > to come to the wedding since my fiance is out of status. He suggested that she
    > just apply for a normal tourist visa and that maybe they will let her in.

Well, yes, she can apply for a tourist visa. However, I believe one of the questions
asked is if a relative is living here. Then, of course, she will have to reveal her
daughter's status.

Does anyone have experience in doing this? What is her
    > chance of getting in and is there anything that can be done to improve her
    > chances? I have offered to send an invitation letter and sign an affidavid of
    > support, but I am worried that she will be rejected since I do not speak the same
    > language as her mother

You want a letter to the consulate stating she should come to attend the wedding of
her out of status daughter?? I think it would be better if she just attempted entry
without the invitation. Seriously, if she really wants family at the wedding, have it
in Armenia.

Old Aug 16th 2002, 6:55 am
Poncho

Thanks for the advice. She is not working so the employer thing can't happen, but
she does have a bank account with a little bit of money in it & 3 children still
living in Armenia. And yes, regardless of what happens, we are having a 2nd wedding
party over there for her friends & family. I am learning a little bit of the
language, but it is taking some time.

"Matta Harri" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
er.com
    > In article <3cb79.124861$UU1.21939@sccrnsc03>, "poncho" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > I am a native born US Citizen and I fell in love with an Armenian girl
who
    > > is here on a tourist visa and we have decided to get married. Unfortunately, she
    > > was supposed to leave a week ago according to her
papers.
    > > We have set a wedding date in October. A lawyer advised us that we
should
    > > get married as soon as possible, even faster than we have planned,
because
    > > she is at risk until the wedding date. However, he said that after we
are
    > > married, we have no legal problem, we just need to file an adjustment of status.
    > > I am comfortable with that. He said, however, that it is very unlikely that her
    > > mom (57 years old)
will
    > > be able to come to the wedding since my fiance is out of status. He suggested
    > > that she just apply for a normal tourist visa and that maybe
they
    > > will let her in. Does anyone have experience in doing this? What is
her
    > > chance of getting in and is there anything that can be done to improve
her
    > > chances? I have offered to send an invitation letter and sign an
affidavid
    > > of support, but I am worried that she will be rejected since I do not
speak
    > > the same language as her mother. Any suggestions?
    > >
    > Her best chance for a tourist visa hinges on two things: money, and intent to
    > return home. Those are the two things that she must show the consulate to try to
    > get a tourist visa. Most rejections result from inadequate reason to return to the
    > home country.
    > She should show bank account, property, employer, and any other ties she may have
    > to her country. An employer letter stating how long she will be gone and when she
    > is expected to return would be nice too.
    > If she does not get the visa, suggest you consider a nice trip to Armenia, and have
    > a "2nd marriage", throw a big wedding bash for the family and friends over there,
    > and start learning the language <grin>.
    > matta

Old Aug 16th 2002, 9:08 am
elena

Yes you are correct. For more information I would suggest you visit the INS website at: http://www.ins.gov or USA Immigration Services at http://www.usais.org