Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Invitation for my mother

Wikiposts

Invitation for my mother

Old Apr 26th 2002, 7:40 am
Svetlana Kelman

Default Invitation for my mother

I'd like to invite my mother from Russia to visit me here in the summer.

I'm a green card holder with a conditional status which I got thruogh marriage and my
husband is a citizen. I'm wondering whether an invitation should be made by me or by
husband, because I heard it's much better than a citizen is inviting.

Do you know what that invitation should look like? I read on the consulate's web-site
something like this: Please do not bring any notirized letters or invitations... What
should she bring then?

Thank you all in advance for your advice.

Old Apr 26th 2002, 9:10 am
Scott

Default Re: Invitation for my mother

* New Moscow Embassy proceedures allow her to apply via Fed-Ex, so she wont have to
travel all the way down to the Moscow Consulate.

* Your mother has better odds if she is 60+ years old

* You are correct, the embassy does not need an invitation letter. Items they will
need are proof of intent to come back; letter of employment/income, property
titles, etc.

Now my question: My wife is coming over on a K-3 visa. In the past when I would
visit, my wife would make me out a letter of invitation with OVIR and send it to me
and I would send the Letter of Invite and application to the Russian Emabssy in San
Francisco for a homestay visa. Now, once my wife is here, her parents will need to
apply for an invitation at OVIR when I visit with my wife.

Is there anyway around this? are there special multiple entry visas that are valid
for several years available to the U.S. citizen who are married to Russian citizen
for entry into Russia??

Just seems there would be an easier way! This is an inconvience for the American
citizen, as we can travel most places visa free and should not need one for Russia!
or at the very least, there should be a mechanism for spouses of Russian citizens to
come and go with ease!

Cheers,

Scotty

"Svetlana Kelman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I'd like to invite my mother from Russia to visit me here in the summer.
    >
    > I'm a green card holder with a conditional status which I got thruogh marriage and
    > my husband is a citizen. I'm wondering whether an invitation should be made by me
    > or by husband, because I heard it's much better than a citizen is inviting.
    >
    > Do you know what that invitation should look like? I read on the consulate's
    > web-site something like this: Please do not bring any notirized letters or
    > invitations... What should she bring then?
    >
    > Thank you all in advance for your advice.
    >

Old Apr 26th 2002, 10:05 am
Just Joined

Janna is an unknown quantity at this point

You should not expect to travel freely to Russia because Russians can not travel freely to US. And it becomes even more difficult if they have relatives here. It becomes practically impossible. Get to feel at least one percent of the Russian problems.
Old Apr 26th 2002, 7:40 pm
Mrtravel

Janna wrote:

> You should not expect to travel freely to Russia because Russians can not travel
    > freely to US. And it becomes even more difficult if they have relatives here. It
    > becomes practically impossible. Get to feel at least one percent of the Russian
    > problems.

I don't understand. It is easy for a USC to get a visa to Russia.

Old Apr 26th 2002, 8:10 pm
Mrtravel

Scott wrote:

> * New Moscow Embassy proceedures allow her to apply via Fed-Ex, so she wont have to
    > travel all the way down to the Moscow Consulate.

Russians have been a able to do that for quite some time. However, the slim chance
becomes slightly less slim if the visit is in person. And, the odds or better if she
can apply to a non Moscow consulate

> * Your mother has better odds if she is 60+ years old

Provided she she isn't a widow with her only child and grandchild in the US.

>
    > * You are correct, the embassy does not need an invitation letter. Items they will
    > need are proof of intent to come back; letter of employment/income, property
    > titles, etc.

Agreed.. The Moscow Embassy even tells people NOT to bring such letters.

> =
    > Now my question: My wife is coming over on a K-3 visa. In the past when I would
    > visit, my wife would make me out a letter of invitation with OVIR and send it to me
    > and I would send the Letter of Invite and application to the Russian Emabssy in San
    > Francisco for a homestay visa. Now, once my wife is here, her parents will need to
    > apply for an invitation at OVIR when I visit with my wife.

Actually, your wife can just sign a statement at the SFO consulate if she is
registered there. Your mom in law will need to help you register it when you get to
Russia, but you do NOT need an invitation if your wife signs a statement for the
consulate. I just did it for our summer trip.

Of course, when your wife becomes a USC, she will need a VISA. She could get into
Russia on her Russian passport, but would no longer have the green card for them to
let her on a plane to the US.

>
    >
    > Is there anyway around this? are there special multiple entry visas that are valid
    > for several years available to the U.S. citizen who are married to Russian citizen
    > for entry into Russia??

No, there are not multiple year visas for this. That is why the multi year US visa is
so high for Russians. The State Department takes the annual visa and multiplies the
price to get the multi year US visa price.

>
    > Just seems there would be an easier way! This is an inconvience for the American
    > citizen, as we can travel most places visa free and should not need one for Russia!
    > or at the very least, there should be a mechanism for spouses of Russian citizens
    > to come and go with ease!

LOL, now I understand the other post in the thread. You should not need one for
Russia.. Countries generally have reciprical agreements. So, if the US would lift
it for Russians, Russians might lift it for USCs. Forget about that sense of
entitlement, it doesn't go over well with the Russian Federation. They have the
right, like the US, to decide who enters their country.

Old Apr 27th 2002, 3:10 am
Scott

Mr Travel:
* I thought Russians could become United States citizens and still keep their
Russian Citiznenship (hence dual citizenship) the Russian government does not
strip a Russian of citizenship because of obtaining another.

* The Russian embassy wont issue a visa to a Russian citizen

* When a Russian becomes a U.S. citizen and wishes to travel to Russia: uses the
Russian passport to enter and show the Boarder gaurd when leaving

* Uses the American passport to show the Airline personnel and when entering the U.S.

** We will confirm this with the Russian Embassy in 3 years if she gets her American
citizenship... maybee they would give her a visa after obtaining US Citizenship but I
think the above is true.

P.S.What kind of statement does she (my wife) need to sign at the Russian San
Francisco consulate so I dont need an invite from OVIR????

Scotty

"mrtravel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Scott wrote:
    >
    > > * New Moscow Embassy proceedures allow her to apply via Fed-Ex, so she
wont
    > > have to travel all the way down to the Moscow Consulate.
    >
    > Russians have been a able to do that for quite some time. However, the slim chance
    > becomes slightly less slim if the visit is in
person.
    > And, the odds or better if she can apply to a non Moscow consulate
    >
    > > * Your mother has better odds if she is 60+ years old
    >
    > Provided she she isn't a widow with her only child and grandchild in the
US.
    >
    > >
    > > * You are correct, the embassy does not need an invitation letter. Items they
    > > will need are proof of intent to come back; letter of employment/income,
    > > property titles, etc.
    >
    > Agreed.. The Moscow Embassy even tells people NOT to bring such letters.
    >
    > > =
    > > Now my question: My wife is coming over on a K-3 visa. In the past when I would
    > > visit, my wife would make me out a letter of invitation with OVIR and send it to
me
    > > and I would send the Letter of Invite and application to the Russian
Emabssy
    > > in San Francisco for a homestay visa. Now, once my wife is here, her
parents
    > > will need to apply for an invitation at OVIR when I visit with my wife.
    >
    > Actually, your wife can just sign a statement at the SFO consulate if she
is
    > registered there. Your mom in law will need to help you register it when
you get
    > to Russia, but you do NOT need an invitation if your wife signs a
statement for
    > the consulate. I just did it for our summer trip.
    >
    > Of course, when your wife becomes a USC, she will need a VISA. She could get into
    > Russia on her Russian passport, but would no longer
have the
    > green card for them to let her on a plane to the US.
    >
    > >
    > >
    > > Is there anyway around this? are there special multiple entry visas that
are
    > > valid for several years available to the U.S. citizen who are married to Russian
    > > citizen for entry into Russia??
    >
    > No, there are not multiple year visas for this. That is why the multi year
US
    > visa is so high for Russians. The State Department takes the annual visa
and
    > multiplies the price to get the multi year US visa price.
    >
    > >
    > > Just seems there would be an easier way! This is an inconvience for the American
    > > citizen, as we can travel most places visa free and should not
need
    > > one for Russia! or at the very least, there should be a mechanism for spouses of
    > > Russian citizens to come and go with ease!
    >
    > LOL, now I understand the other post in the thread. You should not need one
    > for Russia.. Countries generally have reciprical agreements. So, if the US
    > would lift
it for
    > Russians, Russians might lift it for USCs. Forget about that sense of entitlement,
    > it doesn't go over well with the Russian Federation. They
have the
    > right, like the US, to decide who enters their country.

Old Apr 29th 2002, 7:10 pm
Mrtravel

Svetlana Kelman wrote:

> I'd like to invite my mother from Russia to visit me here in the summer.
    >
    > I'm a green card holder with a conditional status which I got thruogh marriage and
    > my husband is a citizen. I'm wondering whether an invitation should be made by me
    > or by husband, because I heard it's much better than a citizen is inviting.
    >
    > Do you know what that invitation should look like? I read on the consulate's
    > web-site something like this: Please do not bring any notirized letters or
    > invitations... What should she bring then?
    >
    > Thank you all in advance for your advice.

My advice is to follow the advice of the consulate. If they say don't do it, then
don't do it. Which consulate is she going through? How old is she?