Intro!

Old Feb 3rd 2012, 1:08 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Intro!

Will your USC husband stay in the USA when you return to Afghanistan?

Is he in the US military?

How long will your assignment be in Afghanistan when you return there?

Where do you plan to do your Immigrant Visa interview? London?

Rene

(best to have a mod move this to the US Marriage-Based Immigration forum, please)
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

britinnola is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Rene,

My soon to be husband will stay behind in the US, he's a retired US Marine and now working for the DoD. My assignment is for as long as I want to be in Afghanistan, I'm about to enter into my fourth year of being here!!

For the interview, I assumed I would have that in London although I have connections at the US Embassy in Kabul so I may be able to have it there.

Sorry for posting this in the wrong section!!
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 1:29 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britinnola
Sorry for posting this in the wrong section!!
No you posted it fine. We just moved it because we the folks in this forum have really been there, done that when it comes to marriage and can help you better.
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 1:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by penguinsix
No you posted it fine. We just moved it because we the folks in this forum have really been there, done that when it comes to marriage and can help you better.
Thanks, Penguinsix, I feel much more confident about the whole process just from the few replies from the other members....its one worry I don't need but appreciate it is a time consuming process however, it will be worth it in the end and no doubt I will be asking more questions further down the line.

Thanks once again to you all!
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 1:58 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Both are smart moves. It's always a good idea to have a consultation with a US immigration attorney when getting started. You may not want or need to hire the attorney, but you'll get some good information and advice in a consultation.

Be careful about calling the USA " 'home' ", even using the apostrophies, until the USA really does become your home. You never know if someone in authority might take it the wrong way and make inquiries that could cause unnecessary delay. So break the bad habit to eliminate the possibility.

Regards, JEff

I've been researching the Immigration regs for the US and will consult an Immigration Lawyer when I return 'home' in a few weeks time;
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 2:02 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

My soon to be husband will stay behind in the US, he's a retired US Marine and now working for the DoD. My assignment is for as long as I want to be in Afghanistan, I'm about to enter into my fourth year of being here!!
So are you free to leave Afghanistan any time you like? The reason I ask, is that the Immigrant Visa process will take about 8 - 10 months. You'll need to be back in the UK for your medical and visa interview (they don't happen at the same time, so unless you move back to the UK, you'll have to go back and forth a couple of times...might be a hassle). The best thing to do is finish your assignment in Afghanistan once you have an LND case number (which happens about 6 or 7 months after filing the I-130). At that time, move back to the UK, get your police report, get your medical done, and then wait for your visa interview date in the UK. I just wanted to see if there is a specific date you must stay until in Afghanistan, so you don't get into a situation where everything is ready to go but you can't leave yet.

For the interview, I assumed I would have that in London although I have connections at the US Embassy in Kabul so I may be able to have it there.
I think London would be MUCH better.

Rene
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 2:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
So are you free to leave Afghanistan any time you like? The reason I ask, is that the Immigrant Visa process will take about 8 - 10 months. You'll need to be back in the UK for your medical and visa interview (they don't happen at the same time, so unless you move back to the UK, you'll have to go back and forth a couple of times...might be a hassle). The best thing to do is finish your assignment in Afghanistan once you have an LND case number (which happens about 6 or 7 months after filing the I-130). At that time, move back to the UK, get your police report, get your medical done, and then wait for your visa interview date in the UK. I just wanted to see if there is a specific date you must stay until in Afghanistan, so you don't get into a situation where everything is ready to go but you can't leave yet.

I think London would be MUCH better.

Rene
Thanks, Rene. I can travel to and from London (gives me a good excuse to have a little break from work!) for the interview and medical. I'm planning on staying in AFG for as long as I'm needed. However, I'm advised by a US legal eagle here in Kabul that I can obtain an Interpol/Afghan Ministry of Interior report (just had an Interpol check for my new visa) and have the application handled in Kabul....I'll weigh up the options as to what works best for me.

I'm free to leave AFG whenever I choose, I'm a civilian so not tied by a military order. Travel is no issue either, I'm used to days of traveling between AFG and the US!

Its all so daunting but exciting at the same time!! I notice you're from Iran?
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 2:33 pm

Its all so daunting but exciting at the same time!! I notice you're from Iran?
Check out the I-130 form (www.uscis.gov, Forms); I think it asks where the intending immigrant will have the visa interview. The US Embassy on the I-130 is where NVC will send the file, so choose the correct one before sending off the I-130....it's a hassle to transfer later.

My husband is from Iran, I'll send you a private message.

Rene
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, Rene...