Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Interview Tomorrow! Any last minute advice?

Wikiposts

Interview Tomorrow! Any last minute advice?

Old Oct 30th 2006, 10:41 am
csf
BE Enthusiast

csf will become famous soon enough
Default Interview Tomorrow! Any last minute advice?

Ok, so I am close to wrapping this up! (I hope). I have an appointment tomorrow for the "Completion of your Application to Adjust Status". Yay!

I am taking the following (some questions included):

* Interview notice w/ photo ID
* What does this entail? All documentation establishing your eligibility for Lawful Permanent Residential status?
* Any immigration realted documentation ever issued to you, including EAD.
* All travel documents used to enter the US, including passports and I-94s.
* Birth certificate
* Wife's BC
* Copy of Marriage Document
* Wife's evidence of US citizenship (is ID good enough for this?)
* Supporting evidence of relationship - All I am taking is a couple of photos and bank statements (we have been married for almost 5 years, so I'm assuming this isn't a big deal).
* Original and copy of each supporting document submitted with the application - I guess this includes wages slips etc.

Is there anything else I need to take with me and any last minute advice? Fingers crossed it will be a fairly straightforward interview.

Also, will I receive a GC stamp in my passport at the end of the interview?

Thanks all!!
Old Oct 30th 2006, 10:49 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interview Tomorrow! Any last minute advice?

Originally Posted by csf
* What does this entail? All documentation establishing your eligibility for Lawful Permanent Residential status?
Pretty much everything you have included covers this.

* Wife's evidence of US citizenship (is ID good enough for this?)
I'd bring her birth certificate or passport. Her ID (such as drivers license) doesn't prove she's a USC.

* Supporting evidence of relationship - All I am taking is a couple of photos and bank statements (we have been married for almost 5 years, so I'm assuming this isn't a big deal).
I would bring more than that if I were you. Our officer didn't even look at photos, so if all you have are bank statements, that's pretty skimpy in my opinion. I would bring many other documents that show your joint life together. Bills, memberships, insurance (car, life, health), mortgage/rent statements, beneficiary statements, cards/letters/mail with both your names on them....anything of that sort. USCIS isn't asking how long you've been married, they want to see evidence that you have co-mingled your lives.

Also, will I receive a GC stamp in my passport at the end of the interview?
If you get approved at your interview, you can ask for the stamp, but not all offices give them out. If you are still pending security checks or the officer needs more info from you, you will not get approved that day and will not receive the stamp.

Best Wishes,
Rene

Thanks all!![/QUOTE]
Old Oct 30th 2006, 11:18 am
csf
BE Enthusiast

csf will become famous soon enough

Thanks Rene. We have managed to dig up Christmas cards from over the past couple of years, a joint gym membership, bank statements and a joint credit card statement from last month. We also have the wedding album (which I know may not be required at all). Problem with the rent thing is I have never been allowed to sign the lease, so no go there.

We don't have any letters from friends or anything like that. So the above is about it!

Will this be enough?
Old Oct 30th 2006, 11:40 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by csf
Thanks Rene. We have managed to dig up Christmas cards from over the past couple of years, a joint gym membership, bank statements and a joint credit card statement from last month. We also have the wedding album (which I know may not be required at all). Problem with the rent thing is I have never been allowed to sign the lease, so no go there.

We don't have any letters from friends or anything like that. So the above is about it!

Will this be enough?
I don't know if that will be enough for the office who interviews you, only he/she can determine that. But...I would bring stuff that covers more time than just last month. Bring the credit card statements from at least the time you filed AOS, if not before. Surely after 5 years of marriage you must have more joint items? How about car/home/health insurances? How about being beneficiary on life insurance/401K/retirement funds? It's kind of interesting that after 5 years, you only have bank statements and only 1 month of credit card statement. No utility bills? Even if a bill or something comes to one or the other of you, let's say electric in your name but rent in the spouse's name....if it shows the mutual address, that would work too.

But, you can only bring what you have, right? So bring what you have, and do your best.

Rene
Old Oct 30th 2006, 3:17 pm
Kat

CSF
Every case is different...at my interview I had nearly think you could
imagine bar the mortgage i am not on. Then my friend who filed after
me her husband an her have nothing in there name as he lives on his
parents property so everything is in the parents name. They explained
it to the interviewer an they said OK....your approved...she already
has her greencard while i am still waiting.
Best advice tell the truth an you should be fine bar any hold ups.
Take care and good luck
Kat
Noorah101 wrote:
    > > Thanks Rene. We have managed to dig up Christmas cards from over the
    > > past couple of years, a joint gym membership, bank statements and a
    > > joint credit card statement from last month. We also have the wedding
    > > album (which I know may not be required at all). Problem with the rent
    > > thing is I have never been allowed to sign the lease, so no go there.
    > >
    > > We don't have any letters from friends or anything like that. So the
    > > above is about it!
    > >
    > > Will this be enough?
    > I don't know if that will be enough for the office who interviews you,
    > only he/she can determine that. But...I would bring stuff that covers
    > more time than just last month. Bring the credit card statements from
    > at least the time you filed AOS, if not before. Surely after 5 years of
    > marriage you must have more joint items? How about car/home/health
    > insurances? How about being beneficiary on life
    > insurance/401K/retirement funds? It's kind of interesting that after 5
    > years, you only have bank statements and only 1 month of credit card
    > statement. No utility bills? Even if a bill or something comes to one
    > or the other of you, let's say electric in your name but rent in the
    > spouse's name....if it shows the mutual address, that would work too.
    > But, you can only bring what you have, right? So bring what you have,
    > and do your best. :)
    >
    > Rene
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Oct 30th 2006, 3:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Take everything that you have.

But I only had credit card/bank statement/car (mine, not hers!) and Insurance in joint names.
Old Oct 31st 2006, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

andrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Chris
No real words of advice (our interview was easy, I'm sure yours will be even moreso!), but I wanted to say good luck. You got your interview pretty quick from when you applied huh? Glad you finally got around to getting this done with!! I'm sure everything will go perfectly.
-a