Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Interview in London before our I-130 is approved!

Wikiposts

Interview in London before our I-130 is approved!

Old Mar 18th 2010, 7:18 am
Just Joined

hannah3737 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Interview in London before our I-130 is approved!

My husband and I filed an I-130 application for him to be able to come work and live with me in the US. We have just received a letter from the US embassy in London asking us both to attend an interview. Has anyone else had to attend a interview before the visa form is even approved?? I'm slightly nervous...
Old Mar 18th 2010, 8:14 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interview in London before our I-130 is approved!

Originally Posted by hannah3737
My husband and I filed an I-130 application for him to be able to come work and live with me in the US. We have just received a letter from the US embassy in London asking us both to attend an interview. Has anyone else had to attend a interview before the visa form is even approved?? I'm slightly nervous...
I assume you are both living in the UK, and you filed the I-130 directly to London, correct?

So you are saying you filed only the I-130 and now you are both being requested to appear in person for an interview, before you've received any other guidance on the next steps?

If so, then yes, I've seen this happen before. USCIS wants to verify in person that you guys are married, that you've lived in the UK long enough to be eligible to file directly to London. Bring proof with you to the interview.

Rene
Old Mar 21st 2010, 7:28 am
Just Joined

Thank you for your response!

In answer to your question, yes we are both living in the UK together and have been doing so for the past 10 months. As my mother is a UK citizen, I myself have indefinite leave to the UK and have spent much time living here since I was very young.

I filed the I-130 with London after speaking with a rep who suggested I do so, but they did not mention that there was a minimum time that I had to have been living here.

The embassy has requested us both to go for separate interviews on the same day and have asked us to bring records of our marriage with us, which worries me as I am unsure of what is needed and what will most help support our case. It feels like they have already made up their minds on us.

Granted we are a young couple and our marriage was very sudden which I feel goes against us but we are no less in love than my parents who have been together for 25 years.

Sorry for going on and on, it just makes me nervous thinking the rest of our lives could depend on the outcome of this interview!

If you have any ideas of what might be the best thing to give them as far as evidence goes I would be so grateful for your input!

Thanks again
Old Mar 21st 2010, 8:58 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

It's not uncommon to have an interview for the I-130, especially if you were lacking evidence along with it.

Bring any proof you have that shows how long you've been living in the UK (on your most recent stay), and proof of your marriage and joint life together as a married couple.

Rene
Old Mar 29th 2010, 9:32 pm
Just Joined

Hey,

Thank you so much for your help!

We had the interview last week and it went fine....the guy there was really nice and we have already had the petition approved!!

Thanks again for your help......you really calmed me down. Now its all up to him and I can relax!
Old Mar 30th 2010, 4:26 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Hey,

Thank you so much for your help!

We had the interview last week and it went fine....the guy there was really nice and we have already had the petition approved!!

Thanks again for your help......you really calmed me down. Now its all up to him and I can relax!
hannah, because interviews for your type of filing are sufficiently rare, can you please tell us some details about it?

What did they tell you was the purpose, when you came? Did you just interview at a window, or in an office? Together? What questions did they ask, or did they just want evidence documents?
etc

I'm sure it will be helpful to future folk who find themselves in your shoes.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 1:13 am
Just Joined

Yeah no Problem! Basically we went to the Embassy, they called us to a window together, to meet us, then asked us to sit back down and then called us in separately. They just asked us questions about eachothers family, asking us names and dates, and also describing how we meet etc..
He informed us at the end that they do pick couples who have been married less than 2 years by random to come for these interviews and it just so happened we were one of those couples. So for anyone who also has to have this experience it isn't anything to worry about. Now we're waiting on getting our package sent to us to do the I-864 and for my husband to go to for his medical. Wish us good luck!!
Old Apr 5th 2010, 2:05 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah no Problem! Basically we went to the Embassy, they called us to a window together, to meet us, then asked us to sit back down and then called us in separately. They just asked us questions about eachothers family, asking us names and dates, and also describing how we meet etc..
He informed us at the end that they do pick couples who have been married less than 2 years by random to come for these interviews and it just so happened we were one of those couples. So for anyone who also has to have this experience it isn't anything to worry about. Now we're waiting on getting our package sent to us to do the I-864 and for my husband to go to for his medical. Wish us good luck!!
Congratualtions!

May I request a little more information, given that this is rare? It may help people who experience the same thing or might help those who chose to edit the wiki.

Your interview was with DHS/CIS and not with the Visa Section. Where are they? Was it in a separate part of the Embassy or was it a window in the Visa Section? Were you called into the back -- or were you in a room with the glass separation? Did you pass papers through the slot?