Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Interview Experience - DORA

Wikiposts

Interview Experience - DORA

Old Jul 19th 2005, 4:35 am
Forum Regular

ControlFreak has a brilliant futureControlFreak has a brilliant futureControlFreak has a brilliant futureControlFreak has a brilliant futureControlFreak has a brilliant futureControlFreak has a brilliant futureControlFreak has a brilliant future
Default Interview Experience - DORA

We finally had the interview yesterday at Dallas, using the DORA program.
The appointment was for 9am, so we drove to Dallas the night before - Amarillo is about a 6 hour drive from there. We arrived at 8:15am and luckily there wasn't a queue outside so we were able to go straight into the waiting area.
We finally got called in at around 9:45am.
The interview was nothing like I expected. We were sworn in then she went through the forms and basically just double checked our answers. The only question she asked that was not related to the forms was "Do you have any wedding photos?" Which we didn't.
She told us we needed a co-sponsor, which luckily we had - I had just held back the forms because we didn't want to use one if we didn't have to. And she also told us that we need to send in more evidence of us actually living together. Apparently a joint bank statement and countless letters addressed to both of us didn't cut it!
Anyway, she told us that we'd receive a letter within the next 2-3 weeks telling me to make an appointment to have my fingerprints taken and they'd let us know if it couldn't be completed within the 90 days.
I'm still a little confused as to why we needed the co-sponsor as my husband is earning well above the required amount, though his past three tax returns aren't. I was led to believe that they go more on current earnings than the actual tax returns.
But, that aside, it went well. Now all I need to stess about is whether I'll get approved or not!!

CF
Old Jul 19th 2005, 4:44 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interview Experience - DORA

Hi CF!

Thanks for the update on your interview!

It does say on the I-864 that all three years of tax returns will be looked at and used for consideration on qualifying - I guess it depends how picky the Officer is, as to how much weight they put on past income.

What else are you going to send in as proof of living together?

Best Wishes,
Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Jul 19th 2005 at 4:45 am. Reason: goofed up on who is the USC. lol
Old Jul 19th 2005, 5:06 am
Forum Regular

bradg has a brilliant futurebradg has a brilliant futurebradg has a brilliant futurebradg has a brilliant futurebradg has a brilliant futurebradg has a brilliant futurebradg has a brilliant future
Talking Re: Interview Experience - DORA

Hey,

Glad the interview went well, i know, i was dreading it before i had mine, but then afterwards i wondered why i worried so much....
I spoke to someone else on VisaJourney.com who had her DORA interview on the 25th April 05 and she recieved approval on Saturday...so in theory i should hopefully be getting my approval within the next week (based on my interview being 05th May 05)....Thats the worst part now is the waiting.....Make sure you call and make your fingerprint and biometrics appointment asap when you get the letter as this could impact the wait time for the approval.

glad it went well.

Bradg

Originally Posted by ControlFreak
The appointment was for 9am, so we drove to Dallas the night before - Amarillo is about a 6 hour drive from there. We arrived at 8:15am and luckily there wasn't a queue outside so we were able to go straight into the waiting area.
We finally got called in at around 9:45am.
The interview was nothing like I expected. We were sworn in then she went through the forms and basically just double checked our answers. The only question she asked that was not related to the forms was "Do you have any wedding photos?" Which we didn't.
She told us we needed a co-sponsor, which luckily we had - I had just held back the forms because we didn't want to use one if we didn't have to. And she also told us that we need to send in more evidence of us actually living together. Apparently a joint bank statement and countless letters addressed to both of us didn't cut it!
Anyway, she told us that we'd receive a letter within the next 2-3 weeks telling me to make an appointment to have my fingerprints taken and they'd let us know if it couldn't be completed within the 90 days.
I'm still a little confused as to why we needed the co-sponsor as my husband is earning well above the required amount, though his past three tax returns aren't. I was led to believe that they go more on current earnings than the actual tax returns.
But, that aside, it went well. Now all I need to stess about is whether I'll get approved or not!!

CF
Old Jul 20th 2005, 3:47 am
Forum Regular

ControlFreak has a brilliant futureControlFreak has a brilliant futureControlFreak has a brilliant futureControlFreak has a brilliant futureControlFreak has a brilliant futureControlFreak has a brilliant futureControlFreak has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi CF!

What else are you going to send in as proof of living together?

Best Wishes,
Rene
I'm going to have to get our landlord to give sort out a lease for us - we're renting off a friend, so we never had one.
The main problem is that most of our bills are paid by our landlord. I've been trying to get my name on the phone bill, but they keep messing up. They say it's on there, but when the bill arrives, it isn't! Anyway, I called them again yesterday and they gave me a number that they said USCIS can call to confirm that I'm actually on there, but I don't know whether that is good enough. The next bill isn't due for another month and I obviously don't want to wait that long to send everything off!
I'm sure we'll figure something out! I'm just relieved that the interview is over!!

Bradg -
I think you mentioned in another thread that on your receipt the day of the interview and the day they said they received your package didn't tie up. I think I know why. The Officer told me that my package would be sent to Missouri (sp?) to be processed and that the additional stuff that I need to send would be forwarded there. So the later date is probably the date that it got into the system in Missouri.

CF
Old Jul 20th 2005, 6:18 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I called them again yesterday and they gave me a number that they said USCIS can call to confirm that I'm actually on there...
Well, y'know that's never going to happen.

Ian
Old Jul 20th 2005, 6:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Well, y'know that's never going to happen.

Ian
LOL. I figured as much.
I guess we'll just have to think of something else.

CF
Old Jul 20th 2005, 7:41 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

CF,

Why do your husband's past tax returns show low income?

And is his present high income from salary, or does it include things like OT, bonuses, or commissions that are 'iffy'?

Regards, JEff

CF
Old Jul 20th 2005, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

beyness is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats' great! My interview was so simple- I thought it was a dream. And we didn't need my Dad's co-sponsor form even though I was only a temp and had only temped for 3 months at that job! It really has to do with the officer's mood that day and what type of person they are. We have had problems coming back into the country when we go on holiday though because I neve rchanged my name, so the old fashioned potato headed Immigration guys don't believe we're married even though Greg's got a Green card and we have rings and the like. Ugh! But it;s all worth it.
Old Jul 24th 2005, 6:01 am
Forum Regular

Another thing they wanted me to send on was a copy of my co-sponsor's birth certificate. She hasn't got a copy and, as she was born in Alabama, she has to cotact them to get it. Does anyone have any idea how long this would take? I can't seem to find a phone number anywhere!
Also, is it normal for the Immigration Officer to ask for a co-sponsor's birth certificate? I realise that in order to sponsor someone you must be a USC, but it doesn't say anywhere in the instructions that a birth certificate should be included.

CF
Old Jul 24th 2005, 6:22 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Also, is it normal for the Immigration Officer to ask for a co-sponsor's birth certificate?
How odd.. the co-sponsor can be either a USC or PR... so I don't see how a birth certificate is useful in this situation! <shrug>

Ian
Old Jul 24th 2005, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

Pete&Shan is an unknown quantity at this point

Another thing they wanted me to send on was a copy of my co-sponsor's birth certificate. She hasn't got a copy and, as she was born in Alabama, she has to cotact them to get it. Does anyone have any idea how long this would take? I can't seem to find a phone number anywhere!
Also, is it normal for the Immigration Officer to ask for a co-sponsor's birth certificate? I realise that in order to sponsor someone you must be a USC, but it doesn't say anywhere in the instructions that a birth certificate should be included.

CF
You have to prove that the co-sponsor is a us citizen. A birth certificate or passport is on the instructions, I think.

You can probably go online to get the birth certificate. Try - www.vitalcheck.com. That is where I got a copy of mine!

Shannon