Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Interview appointment but still no SSN/EAD

Interview appointment but still no SSN/EAD

Old Sep 29th 2009, 5:06 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interview appointment but still no SSN/EAD

Wrong. Once you become a PR you do not need an EAD, PRs are EA.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by pattschn
if I get the Greencard first I can get my SSN but have to wait for my EAD to apply for jobs, right?
Old Sep 29th 2009, 5:07 pm
Just Joined

pattschn is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Wrong. Once you become a PR you do not need an EAD, PRs are EA.

Regards, JEff
Oh ok ! So IF I really didnt get my EAD before I get the Greencard I could start applying for jobs with the Greencard
Old Sep 29th 2009, 5:10 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Alright, now I am in the know Thank you !!

So what do they mean by "all documentation establishing your eligibility for lawful permanent resident status??" ?
You might want to wait until you get your green card to get the SSN, that way it will be an unrestricted one. Doesn't make a lot of sense to get a SSN in a couple of weeks if your EAD comes through, then have to go back a few weeks later to get a new unrestricted SS card.

On the other hand, you don't know how the AOS interview will go...if you don't get approved on the day of your interview, might be helpful to already have the SSN in place. Your choice, I guess.

Just bring the original and a photocopy of all your immigration documents, plus proof of your joint life together.

Rene
Old Sep 29th 2009, 5:11 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh ok ! So IF I really didnt get my EAD before I get the Greencard I could start applying for jobs with the Greencard
Correct. The EAD is in interim benefit, while you're waiting for your green card. If you get the green card first, no need for the interim benefit anymore.

Rene
Old Sep 29th 2009, 5:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You might want to wait until you get your green card to get the SSN, that way it will be an unrestricted one. Doesn't make a lot of sense to get a SSN in a couple of weeks if your EAD comes through, then have to go back a few weeks later to get a new unrestricted SS card.

On the other hand, you don't know how the AOS interview will go...if you don't get approved on the day of your interview, might be helpful to already have the SSN in place. Your choice, I guess.

Just bring the original and a photocopy of all your immigration documents, plus proof of your joint life together.

Rene
Oh ok, I see !! So I just make copys of the notifications I got from them in mail (because that is all I have).
Do I really have to bring pictures from us together? We are not that into pics so we never printed pics out. I have some pics from the last 4 years on my laptop but it seems kinda weird to me to bring pictures where you can just see the two of us together. I mean do they really look at the pics?
Old Sep 29th 2009, 5:24 pm

Oh ok, I see !! So I just make copys of the notifications I got from them in mail (because that is all I have).
Do I really have to bring pictures from us together? We are not that into pics so we never printed pics out. I have some pics from the last 4 years on my laptop but it seems kinda weird to me to bring pictures where you can just see the two of us together. I mean do they really look at the pics?
Some officers want to see pictures, others don't. If you have them, bring them. We brought pics to our AOS interview, but the Officer didn't want to see them. Other Officers have specifically asked others for wedding photos and such. I take it you don't have wedding photos? We did not, and it wasn't a problem.

Bring other proof of your joint life together...originals and photocopies.

And yes, bring the NOA's, too.

Rene
Old Sep 29th 2009, 5:31 pm
Just Joined

We have one picture in the courthouse but you cannot tell that it is a wedding because we are dressed regular. His brother started to record the ceremony instead of taking pictures, lol!

I was thinking to bring copy of appartment lease, common bank accounts, health insurence. We havent put my name on bills like electric yet because we didnt want to have everything in my maiden name.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 6:12 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

ps,

So what? You don't need pictures to demonstrate that there was a wedding - you have a marriage certificate issued by a government agency that demonstrates that you're married.

You want pictures that help show you're living a live together as a couple.

Regards, JEff

We have one picture in the courthouse but you cannot tell that it is a wedding because we are dressed regular.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 7:20 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

And the FINGERPRINT RECEIPT
Old Sep 29th 2009, 7:28 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

ps,

So what? You don't need pictures to demonstrate that there was a wedding - you have a marriage certificate issued by a government agency that demonstrates that you're married.

You want pictures that help show you're living a live together as a couple.

Regards, JEff

Actually many AO's want wedding pictures (if you have them) and will ask to retain a copy. Pictures are not a requirement in either case. Not everyone takes photos.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 8:00 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for all of your answers ! I guess I will just print some pictures from the last 4 years. I dont have a lot but because of my haircut and weight () they can tell that they was not taken last minute.

What kind of proof aside of copys of the apt. lease, bank account, health insurence ... should I take with me? Or is that enough?
Old Sep 29th 2009, 8:10 pm

Joint financials is strong evidence of a bonafide marriage, you seem to have that aspect covered. My wife and I also used the things that we do together as a family - our family membership cards for the zoo, the museum, the local historical park.

Regards, JEff

What kind of proof aside of copys of the apt. lease, bank account, health insurence ... should I take with me? Or is that enough?
Old Sep 29th 2009, 8:11 pm

Glad to see that we agree on this one.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Rete
Actually many AO's want wedding pictures (if you have them) and will ask to retain a copy. Pictures are not a requirement in either case. Not everyone takes photos.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

Joint financials is strong evidence of a bonafide marriage, you seem to have that aspect covered. My wife and I also used the things that we do together as a family - our family membership cards for the zoo, the museum, the local historical park.

Regards, JEff

Thank you, jeff ! Like i already mentioned earlier we dont have too many things with my name on because I wanted to wait to put my new name on everything ! We just put me on the important stuff.
I hope that is enough, I am sooo nervous !! I wish it was already october 23rd
Old Oct 9th 2009, 2:44 am
Just Joined

Hey
I got my EAD today Now i can get my SSN, is that right? How long does that take and how long does it take to get an ID? Because I am not sure if i want to get all that before or after my interview in 2 weeks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.