Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Interesting tidbit on KY drivers license req'ts

Wikiposts

Interesting tidbit on KY drivers license req'ts

Old Sep 6th 2007, 5:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Interesting tidbit on KY drivers license req'ts

Just thought I'd share this bit of info in case anyone out there could be relocating to KY. For those that don't know me, I'm the USC and my husbands' from the UK. We just moved from OH to KY in July. We used to live in KY 2 years ago, but moved away for employment. Now we've returned.

Well, we went into the local office to get our licenses transferred, and learned an interesting tidbit. Turns out, as it was explained to us by the clerk, that in order for him to get a KY license, he had to have a clean SS card. In other words, the SS card cannot have the "Valid only with DHS authorization" stamp on the card. This was not the case 2 years ago when my husband first got licensed in KY. All he needed was his EAD, K1 visa & SS card (with the DHS stamp).

Now, this really was not a big deal for us, since my hubby has his 10 year green card, but I can see how this could be a big problem for new K1'ers or K3'ers coming to KY. If there are no exceptions to the req't of a free & clear SS card (which I didn't ask about), it could take a year (or maybe more) before a new K1er or K3er could get a license, given that they have to wait for the 2yr GC in order to get a clean SS card. This could also have a large impact on other visa holders as well - since other visa holders are not eligible for a clean SS card at all (AFAIK).

Is this a req't in other states now, too?
Old Sep 6th 2007, 5:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interesting tidbit on KY drivers license req'ts

I was interested in this so I took a quick look. It sounds like you were given wrong information as it clearly states that people with visas other than B1/B2 can get a license. The only stipulation other than proving employment/I-94/etc, is that you have to apply to a regional office rather than a local one, it said nothing about a a "clean" SS card.
Old Sep 6th 2007, 8:31 am
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Just thought I'd share this bit of info in case anyone out there could be relocating to KY. For those that don't know me, I'm the USC and my husbands' from the UK. We just moved from OH to KY in July. We used to live in KY 2 years ago, but moved away for employment. Now we've returned.

Well, we went into the local office to get our licenses transferred, and learned an interesting tidbit. Turns out, as it was explained to us by the clerk, that in order for him to get a KY license, he had to have a clean SS card. In other words, the SS card cannot have the "Valid only with DHS authorization" stamp on the card. This was not the case 2 years ago when my husband first got licensed in KY. All he needed was his EAD, K1 visa & SS card (with the DHS stamp).

Now, this really was not a big deal for us, since my hubby has his 10 year green card, but I can see how this could be a big problem for new K1'ers or K3'ers coming to KY. If there are no exceptions to the req't of a free & clear SS card (which I didn't ask about), it could take a year (or maybe more) before a new K1er or K3er could get a license, given that they have to wait for the 2yr GC in order to get a clean SS card. This could also have a large impact on other visa holders as well - since other visa holders are not eligible for a clean SS card at all (AFAIK).

Is this a req't in other states now, too?
I live in Ohio and was just on the DMV website last weekend. If I'm not mistaken, I believe that you have to have a permanent residency/green card here now, also.
Old Sep 6th 2007, 8:42 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
I live in Ohio and was just on the DMV website last weekend. If I'm not mistaken, I believe that you have to have a permanent residency/green card here now, also.
That wouldn't make sense. What about students and workers here on a valid visas but aren't permanent residents? I'm sure they must be able to get a drivers license...?

Rene
Old Sep 6th 2007, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
I was interested in this so I took a quick look. It sounds like you were given wrong information as it clearly states that people with visas other than B1/B2 can get a license. The only stipulation other than proving employment/I-94/etc, is that you have to apply to a regional office rather than a local one, it said nothing about a a "clean" SS card.
Hmm..ok..Well the clerk didn't even ask what visa he arrived on. They told me he had to present his PR card and his SS card in order to get a license. This was after I told them he was a PR - so maybe that made a diff. Maybe if he wasn't a PR, they have a different set of rules for other visa types. If so, I hope what I typed here doesn't freak anyone out!

I know when he first arrived in KY on his K1 3 years ago, we had to wait til he received his EAD. My hubby then had to go to a regional office and get some form (it was only referred to as the 'blue form') which they had to fill out - he took his EAD, SS card (w/stamp) and K1 visa with him. He then had to go to the local office, with the mysterious blue form, where had to actually sit the written exam and apply for a learner's permit. He had to keep the learner's permit for 30 days (I think), then he did the driving test. The whole permit thing was absolutely ridiculous since he'd been driving for 10+ years in Britain and South Africa, but they didn't give a rat's a$$.

It sounds like some states are starting to crack down on who can/can't get a license.
Old Sep 6th 2007, 8:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Noorah101
That wouldn't make sense. What about students and workers here on a valid visas but aren't permanent residents? I'm sure they must be able to get a drivers license...?

Rene
That's what I thought to Rene! So that's why I posted this wondering if other states were doing something like this!
Old Sep 6th 2007, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

LadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud of

This is from the KY DMV website.
Basic License Information
New residents who are U.S. citizens or permanent U.S. residents have 30 days to get their Kentucky driver license. Permit holders must be at least age 16 to transfer their permits, and a Kentucky permit must be issued to new teen drivers before a Kentucky driver license can be obtained.

To handle your license needs, go to your local Circuit Court Clerk's office; take proof of your Kentucky residency (such as a utility bill, rent agreement, or deed), your birth certificate, Social Security card, and your out-of-state license.

If your out-of-state license is valid, you won't be required to take any tests; if it isn't valid, you will. If you don't have your license on hand for any reason, you'll need to give the clerk your driving record from your last home state.

Licensing fees depend on the kind of license with which you are dealing.
Old Sep 6th 2007, 12:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

The more important part of the website is this, last updated 7/17/07.

KRS 186.412 requires all non U.S. citizens wishing to apply for a Kentucky driver's license or ID card to make application to a Division of Driver Licensing regional office. This excludes permanent residents. Once the Division of Driver Licensing approves the application, the license/ID card will be issued from the Circuit Court Clerk's office in the county where the applicant resides.

* "Permanent Residents" or "Resident Aliens" may go directly to the Circuit Court Clerk's office for licensing. They must present their Permanent Resident card or I-551 with photo issued by BCIS.

* Non U.S. citizens with B1/B2 "Visitor" or WT status will not be approved for a Kentucky license or ID card. All non U.S. citizens may drive in the U.S. on their valid foreign license and International Permit for up to one year from the date of admission into the U.S. provided their home country is part of the Geneva Compact. Drivers from non Geneva Compact countries must obtain a Kentucky license within 30 days of establishing residency in Kentucky.

Required Documentation

A non U.S. citizen must present all of his or her BCIS documents to Driver Licensing personnel, such as Visa with I-94, Employment Authorization Card (I-688A or I688B or I-766) or I-94 with stamped picture. College students must also present an I-20 form completed by university, along with a letter from the Universities Registrars Office, stating enrolled full-time and in good standing. J-1 exchange visitors must have form DS2019.

* Applicants on work related Visa (excluding Employment Authorization Cards) must show proof of employment within the last 30 days (ie., payroll check, verification on company letterhead). The spouse of someone with a work status visa (if in the U.S. on a dependent Visa) must show spouses Visa, I-94 and proof of employment.

* Non U.S. citizens must also provide either a social security card, tax ID number or ineligibility letter from the Social Security Administration.
Old Sep 6th 2007, 12:38 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

which state is KY, isn't that where the jelly comes from
Old Sep 6th 2007, 12:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
Where did you see that? I periodically check the OH DMV website and haven't seen any mention of it. The last update to do with non-citizens I saw was in 2002.

On Wednesday, May 15, 2002, Ohio Governor Bob Taft signed Senate Bill 184 into law. This new law, among other provisions, requires the Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) to verify an applicant’s legal presence in the United States.

Effective May 26, 2002, Non-U.S. citizens must present appropriate documentation issued by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) in order to obtain an Ohio identification card or a driver license. A Non-renewable/Non-transferable identification card or driver license is issued with the same expiration date that appears on the appropriate document issued by the USCIS and will not exceed four (4) years. A non-renewable/non-transferable driver license allows individuals to drive in Ohio and other states, but it cannot be renewed or transferred to another state. The individual will be required to present current documents issued by USCIS at the time of every renewal and will not exceed four (4) birthdays. This rule also applies to those under the age of 21.

Non-U.S. citizens who have been granted permanent residency and present a valid I-551 (green card) will be issued a regular Ohio driver license which will expire on their 4th birthday from the date of issuance or the expiration date of the I-551, whichever is shorter. All non-U.S. citizens who are permanent residents will be required to present their unexpired I-551 (green card) at the time of renewal.
Old Sep 6th 2007, 5:08 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

They told me he had to present his PR card and his SS card in order to get a license. This was after I told them he was a PR - so maybe that made a diff. Maybe if he wasn't a PR, they have a different set of rules for other visa types. If so, I hope what I typed here doesn't freak anyone out!
This kinda makes sense. If you have a green card, you have work authorization. So an 'unclean' SS card must be out of date, or fake. Though why you'd even fake an unclean card, who knows....?

It always amazes me how many DMV offices don't know how to deal with non-citizens.
Old Sep 6th 2007, 5:31 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

It's xenophobia, they say (at least in Texas) that they're phasing in RealID. Yeah right.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 12:19 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Turns out, as it was explained to us by the clerk, that in order for him to get a KY license, he had to have a clean SS card. In other words, the SS card cannot have the "Valid only with DHS authorization" stamp on the card.
A valid EAD and SS card - with or without the language - is proof of eligiblity for a KY driver's license. Federal law trumps State law... or Commonwealth law! The clerk was clearly in error.

Ian
Old Sep 7th 2007, 2:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pony
which state is KY, isn't that where the jelly comes from
ha ha...we're better known for horse racing, and bourbon whiskey. so if you wanna drink and lose your money, come on by.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 8:57 am
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Where did you see that? I periodically check the OH DMV website and haven't seen any mention of it. The last update to do with non-citizens I saw was in 2002.

On Wednesday, May 15, 2002, Ohio Governor Bob Taft signed Senate Bill 184 into law. This new law, among other provisions, requires the Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) to verify an applicant’s legal presence in the United States.

Effective May 26, 2002, Non-U.S. citizens must present appropriate documentation issued by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) in order to obtain an Ohio identification card or a driver license. A Non-renewable/Non-transferable identification card or driver license is issued with the same expiration date that appears on the appropriate document issued by the USCIS and will not exceed four (4) years. A non-renewable/non-transferable driver license allows individuals to drive in Ohio and other states, but it cannot be renewed or transferred to another state. The individual will be required to present current documents issued by USCIS at the time of every renewal and will not exceed four (4) birthdays. This rule also applies to those under the age of 21.

Non-U.S. citizens who have been granted permanent residency and present a valid I-551 (green card) will be issued a regular Ohio driver license which will expire on their 4th birthday from the date of issuance or the expiration date of the I-551, whichever is shorter. All non-U.S. citizens who are permanent residents will be required to present their unexpired I-551 (green card) at the time of renewal.
My bad....like I said in the post, "If I'm not mistaken, I believe that you have to have a permanent residency/green card here now, also." I retract my entry.