Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Interesting question, would like opinions/facts

Wikiposts

Interesting question, would like opinions/facts

Old May 24th 2004, 8:40 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interesting question, would like opinions/facts

Originally posted by Rete
Yes and no. Look for the Pies from SC. He is from Scotland and her from the US. He entered the US after I-130 was pending at the SC with his wife and stepson and remained and successfully adjusted status, no questions asked.

Rete

It is a crap shoot in my opinion.

I agree...
Old May 24th 2004, 8:42 am

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by HunterGreen
Ranjini, I know all this.
And just like you, I based my thoughts on years of hanging around on this forum and the former Doc Steen message board.
But now I went looking for cold hard facts, and I can't find them anywhere. And I want them. I want those sources!
At this point, only (well, mainly) because it annoys the hell out of me if I can't find an answer to something I want to know. (Yes, I drive myself crazy sometimes ). Believe me, I have searched the archives, I've searched everywhere, I haven't found.

That is.... I think the answer may be hiding somewhere within the text on this link - http://tinyurl.com/29asz but good heavens, I can't get through that! I'm going to try though.

Tweeks... it's a tricky question even on a Friday I think...

Elaine
I can see the link, why can't you??
Tricky questions are trickier on Mondays..
Old May 24th 2004, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

Because the attorneys here told us that.
Awww geez. Now I know I'm probably not going to get my cold facts, because I know the attorneys on here wont discuss this topic - not like this. It does once again confirm my THOUGHTS, but still no facts... I'm still going to wrestle with the stuff on that link I posted. Yes, I have a life. Yes, I know you don't believe me. Nope, I don't care.

Elaine
Old May 24th 2004, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

Tweeky, I can see the link, but have you tried reading what's there? After a few paragraphs I can't make heads nor tails of it anymore. Doesn't help that it's past my bedtime anyway.

Originally posted by Hypertweeky
I can see the link, why can't you??
Old May 24th 2004, 8:52 am

Awww geez. Now I know I'm probably not going to get my cold facts, because I know the attorneys on here wont discuss this topic - not like this. It does once again confirm my THOUGHTS, but still no facts... I'm still going to wrestle with the stuff on that link I posted. Yes, I have a life. Yes, I know you don't believe me. Nope, I don't care.

Elaine
I wanted to find those cold facts too but never found them..
Good Luck!!

And yes.. I do believe you have a life
Old May 24th 2004, 8:54 am

Tweeky, I can see the link, but have you tried reading what's there? After a few paragraphs I can't make heads nor tails of it anymore. Doesn't help that it's past my bedtime anyway.
I haven't tried yet.. I am saving it for a non Monday date lol.
I will PM you when I do
Old May 24th 2004, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

It is a crap shoot in my opinion.
Rete, I agree. There seem no facts to be found either way, and there is evidence of these cases going both ways... I for one wouldn't risk it.

I still want to know though. Okay, now I'm pouting. Bed-time.

Elaine
Old May 24th 2004, 8:59 am

Rete, I agree. There seem no facts to be found either way, and there is evidence of these cases going both ways... I for one wouldn't risk it.

I still want to know though. Okay, now I'm pouting. Bed-time.

Elaine
Night Night!
Old May 24th 2004, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

I will PM you when I do
Yes, please do. Maybe we can find those facts together. I must have been a horrible child for my parents when I was in the 'why?' fase.
Old May 24th 2004, 9:01 am

Yes, please do. Maybe we can find those facts together. I must have been a horrible child for my parents when I was in the 'why?' fase.
I would love to help
LOL
Old May 24th 2004, 10:07 am
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

Yep. I was one of those "why?" babies myself. Here's one of those threads, I was talking about earlier:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=227217
Old May 25th 2004, 7:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Ranjini
Here's one of those threads, I was talking about earlier:
[/url]
I followed this thread when it was posted. Again and again my thoughts get confirmed, but still no cold hard facts. Either way.

Also I haven't found anything on entering already married under the VWP, and then doing AOS.

What's the illegal thing - the intent of getting married on the VWP? Nope, people say that's okay as long as you don't stay.
So the intent of getting married and staying on the VWP is illegal? It keeps getting repeated that this is illegal.
But is the intent of only STAYING on the VWP illegal also? It would be. You've waived you're right to change your mind and stay, that is - you've waived your right to adjustment of status. But then it says: if you're an immediate relative of a USC, you ARE allowed to AOS.

I can read between the lines. I would have quit this topic already if I wasn't looking for things in clear writing. It's like a puzzle. Some people do crosswords, I do this.

Elaine
Old May 25th 2004, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute

As with immigrations...there are no cold hard facts. What you are really asking for is a probable outcome. I feel your frustration. I wanted that comfort also as I felt I was looking at a waiver case.

"You pay your money and you take your chances"

I followed this thread when it was posted. Again and again my thoughts get confirmed, but still no cold hard facts. Either way.

Also I haven't found anything on entering already married under the VWP, and then doing AOS.

What's the illegal thing - the intent of getting married on the VWP? Nope, people say that's okay as long as you don't stay.
So the intent of getting married and staying on the VWP is illegal? It keeps getting repeated that this is illegal.
But is the intent of only STAYING on the VWP illegal also? It would be. You've waived you're right to change your mind and stay, that is - you've waived your right to adjustment of status. But then it says: if you're an immediate relative of a USC, you ARE allowed to AOS.

I can read between the lines. I would have quit this topic already if I wasn't looking for things in clear writing. It's like a puzzle. Some people do crosswords, I do this.

Elaine
Old May 25th 2004, 7:56 am

Originally posted by lpdiver
As with immigrations...there are no cold hard facts. What you are really asking for is a probable outcome. I feel your frustration. I wanted that comfort also as I felt I was looking at a waiver case.

"You pay your money and you take your chances"
I agree with you!!
Fustration Fustration and more Fustration to see people actually getting away with it..
Old May 25th 2004, 8:22 am
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

I agree with you!!
Fustration Fustration and more Fustration to see people actually getting away with it..
Tweeky, let me ask you a question? If you had the option to come over on a visa waiver to visit your then boyfriend in the US would you have changed your mind at some point and stayed on to marry him and adjust? Now this is a hypotherical question. You have no intention of doing so when you enter the US. You are on holiday and there are pressing reasons you have to go back home before you finally move here. You have to resign your job, pack your bags, sell off whatever you own, like a house and personal effects, say goodbye to your family properly and leave.
That's the way it was for me. So I really don't feel bad about people who "get away with it". You did it the accepted way. I personally think you should give yourself a pat on the back.
Besides there is no law against marrying "spur of the moment" and adjusting. Just my own personal thoughts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.