Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

INS Interview coming up..can I apply for Social Security Card

Wikiposts

INS Interview coming up..can I apply for Social Security Card

Old Jun 7th 2002, 10:20 pm
News.Verizon.Ne

Default Re: INS Interview coming up..can I apply for Social Security Card

No, I am not a DAO. Most of the DAO's came from Inspections. Inspectors are detailed
to Citizenship and Adjucations when they are backlogged (when are they not) and
usually work with that office for 6 months or so. Plus it is a nice change from the
airport. Things do change and since we have so many returning AOS applicants, we do
have to keep up with all of the changes. We have to keep up with all programs, and
sometimes we hear about things on the news, that I really should have been informed
thru my office. After the separation, whenever and however it happens then there will
be more of a gap. What does "LMAO" mean? As for anyone who thinks INS is messed up,
come and help us fix it. If you can't give workable solutions, you are no better than
this politicians that tell us not to enforce the laws we do have. Fred

"James Donovan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > "news.verizon.net" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > > To James Donovan Forms I130 and I485 are Immigrant documents. Second, Immigration
    > > uses A 43-567-789 as there ID numbers. The original message told the group that
    > > they did have employment authorization. Since you did not have any ideal of what
    > > I am talking about, you are the one with bad
information.
    > > I have been reading your responses to others, and you are the one that does not
    > > seem know what you are talking about. First, if you are an attorney, you are the
    > > one hurting your clients,
because
    > > the first thing I hear, "My attorney told me this".
    >
    > I am not an attorney. You have been misleading people on several things, including
    > 245(i) and this social security thing. Social Security WILL NOT and I repeat, WILL
    > NOT accept
    >
    > > Second, if you work for Immigration, like I do, you need to find a new line
    > > of work.
    >
    > LMAO. I believe that you work for INS because many INS officers DO NOT HAVE A CLUE
    > as to what the actual rules are.
    >
    > > I work for Inspections at four different locations.
    >
    > But are you a DAO? If you were a DAO you would know about adjustment of status and
    > so on. But you are not.
    >
    > > I don't know about all the programs, but I have the sources to find out.
    >
    > I suggest you read some of the older posts in this group and see exactly what your
    > agency is doing, and how they are mangling the immigration law and making life hard
    > for prospective immigrants, while letting border jumpers slide straight through.
    > INS needs an overhaul badly.

Old Jun 7th 2002, 10:20 pm
News.Verizon.Ne

No, I am not a DAO. I work with Inspections

"BM" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:UndM8.128971$352.5799@sccrnsc02...
    > To get the rules, all she has to do is ask the social security office
where
    > she will go to get the card and they will tell her what she needs. I
would
    > think she could bring her EAD card in along with some other form of identification.
    >
    > "James Donovan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > "news.verizon.net" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > To James Donovan Forms I130 and I485 are Immigrant documents. Second,
    > > > Immigration uses A 43-567-789 as there ID numbers. The original message told
    > > > the group that they did have employment authorization. Since you did not have
    > > > any ideal of what I am talking about, you are the one with bad
    > information.
    > > > I have been reading your responses to others, and you are the one that does not
    > > > seem know what you are talking about. First, if you are an attorney, you are
    > > > the one hurting your clients,
    > because
    > > > the first thing I hear, "My attorney told me this".
    > >
    > > I am not an attorney. You have been misleading people on several things,
    > > including 245(i) and this social security thing. Social Security WILL NOT and I
    > > repeat, WILL NOT accept
    > >
    > > > Second, if you work for Immigration, like I do, you need to find a new line of
    > > > work.
    > >
    > > LMAO. I believe that you work for INS because many INS officers DO NOT HAVE A
    > > CLUE as to what the actual rules are.
    > >
    > > > I work for Inspections at four different locations.
    > >
    > > But are you a DAO? If you were a DAO you would know about adjustment of status
    > > and so on. But you are not.
    > >
    > > > I don't know about all the programs, but I have the sources to find
out.
    > >
    > > I suggest you read some of the older posts in this group and see exactly what
    > > your agency is doing, and how they are mangling the immigration law and making
    > > life hard for prospective immigrants, while letting border jumpers slide straight
    > > through. INS needs an overhaul badly.

Old Jun 8th 2002, 6:20 am
Joachim Feise

news.verizon.net wrote:

> What does "LMAO" mean?

You are obviously a newbie. See http://www.valinor.sorcery.net/glossary/, for this
one especially http://www.valinor.sorcery.net/glossary/rotflmao.html

-Joe

James Donovan

"news.verizon.net" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<4%[email protected]>...

> As for anyone who thinks INS is messed up, come and help us fix it. If you can't
    > give workable solutions, you are no better than this politicians that tell us not
    > to enforce the laws we do have.

I heard the INS is looking for a chief information officer. I just may apply for the
job. It would be a good retirement gig since I plan to retire soon anyway.

James Donovan

"BM" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<UndM8.128971$352.5799@sccrnsc02>...
    > To get the rules, all she has to do is ask the social security office where she
    > will go to get the card and they will tell her what she needs. I would think she
    > could bring her EAD card in along with some other form of identification.

There are different rules for different places as well. Some offices won't even
accept EAD cards believe it or not. For example, there are two SSA offices at 26
Federal Plaza in New York City. One of them deals ONLY with EAD holders applying for
an original SS number and the other deals with everyone else. You go to the one that
deals with everyone else and they will tell you go to the other office. At other
offices their procedure is different. Some of them punch in your A number in the
computer, others put your EAD or GC or passport under a UV light to verify its
authenticity, and some even just tell you come back in 30 days when your name and A#
"should be in the computer system".

Some will even allow you to get a SSN with a K-1 visa and i-94, others will not. It
varies. There is some info on the experiences at different SSA offices at
www.kamya.com.

What I would suggest is go to your local SSA office with your EAD card and passport.
If they bounce you, try another office.

>
    > "James Donovan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > "news.verizon.net" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > To James Donovan Forms I130 and I485 are Immigrant documents. Second,
    > > > Immigration uses A 43-567-789 as there ID numbers. The original message told
    > > > the group that they did have employment authorization. Since you did not have
    > > > any ideal of what I am talking about, you are the one with bad
    > information.
    > > > I have been reading your responses to others, and you are the one that does not
    > > > seem know what you are talking about. First, if you are an attorney, you are
    > > > the one hurting your clients,
    > because
    > > > the first thing I hear, "My attorney told me this".
    > >
    > > I am not an attorney. You have been misleading people on several things,
    > > including 245(i) and this social security thing. Social Security WILL NOT and I
    > > repeat, WILL NOT accept
    > >
    > > > Second, if you work for Immigration, like I do, you need to find a new line of
    > > > work.
    > >
    > > LMAO. I believe that you work for INS because many INS officers DO NOT HAVE A
    > > CLUE as to what the actual rules are.
    > >
    > > > I work for Inspections at four different locations.
    > >
    > > But are you a DAO? If you were a DAO you would know about adjustment of status
    > > and so on. But you are not.
    > >
    > > > I don't know about all the programs, but I have the sources to find out.
    > >
    > > I suggest you read some of the older posts in this group and see exactly what
    > > your agency is doing, and how they are mangling the immigration law and making
    > > life hard for prospective immigrants, while letting border jumpers slide straight
    > > through. INS needs an overhaul badly.

Old Jun 9th 2002, 10:20 am
Bm

OH, I believe that.

"James Donovan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > "BM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<UndM8.128971$352.5799@sccrnsc02>...
    > > To get the rules, all she has to do is ask the social security office
where
    > > she will go to get the card and they will tell her what she needs. I
would
    > > think she could bring her EAD card in along with some other form of
    > > identification.
    >
    > There are different rules for different places as well. Some offices won't even
    > accept EAD cards believe it or not. For example, there are two SSA offices at 26
    > Federal Plaza in New York City. One of them deals ONLY with EAD holders applying
    > for an original SS number and the other deals with everyone else. You go to the one
    > that deals with everyone else and they will tell you go to the other office. At
    > other offices their procedure is different. Some of them punch in your A number in
    > the computer, others put your EAD or GC or passport under a UV light to verify its
    > authenticity, and some even just tell you come back in 30 days when your name and
    > A# "should be in the computer system".
    >
    > Some will even allow you to get a SSN with a K-1 visa and i-94, others will not. It
    > varies. There is some info on the experiences at different SSA offices at
    > www.kamya.com.
    >
    >
    > What I would suggest is go to your local SSA office with your EAD card and
    > passport. If they bounce you, try another office.
    >
    >
    >
    > >
    > > "James Donovan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > "news.verizon.net" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > > To James Donovan Forms I130 and I485 are Immigrant documents. Second,
    > > > > Immigration
uses
    > > > > A 43-567-789 as there ID numbers. The original message told the
group
    > > > > that they did have employment authorization. Since you did not have any ideal
    > > > > of what I am talking about, you are the one with bad
    > > information.
    > > > > I have been reading your responses to others, and you are the one
that
    > > > > does not seem know what you are talking about. First, if you are an attorney,
    > > > > you are the one hurting your clients,
    > > because
    > > > > the first thing I hear, "My attorney told me this".
    > > >
    > > > I am not an attorney. You have been misleading people on several things,
    > > > including 245(i) and this social security thing. Social Security WILL NOT and I
    > > > repeat, WILL NOT accept
    > > >
    > > > > Second, if you work for Immigration, like I do, you need to find a
new
    > > > > line of work.
    > > >
    > > > LMAO. I believe that you work for INS because many INS officers DO NOT HAVE A
    > > > CLUE as to what the actual rules are.
    > > >
    > > > > I work for Inspections at four different locations.
    > > >
    > > > But are you a DAO? If you were a DAO you would know about adjustment of status
    > > > and so on. But you are not.
    > > >
    > > > > I don't know about all the programs, but I have the sources to find
out.
    > > >
    > > > I suggest you read some of the older posts in this group and see exactly what
    > > > your agency is doing, and how they are mangling the immigration law and making
    > > > life hard for prospective immigrants, while letting border jumpers slide
    > > > straight through. INS needs an overhaul badly.