Reload this Page >

INS Interview coming up..can I apply for Social Security Card

Wikiposts

INS Interview coming up..can I apply for Social Security Card

Old May 29th 2002, 10:20 am
Judylk

Default INS Interview coming up..can I apply for Social Security Card

Hi,

Im a Canadian married to a US citizen, and we have our INS interview coming up in
August, and I already have my work authorization. Can I go ahead now and apply for my
Social Security Card, or do I have to wait until after the interview ?

Anyone know? Thanks.

Regards, Judy

Mark & Tammy

Default Re: INS Interview coming up..can I apply for Social Security Card

"Judylk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Im a Canadian married to a US citizen, and we have our INS interview
coming
    > up in August, and I already have my work authorization. Can I go ahead
now
    > and apply for my Social Security Card, or do I have to wait until after
the
    > interview ?
    >
    > Anyone know? Thanks.
    >
    > Regards, Judy
    >

Hi Judy,

You can do it now.

I am a Cdn married to a US citizen. The day I went to OK city and received my work
permit, I came back to the town I am in and applied for my social security number. It
took about twenty minutes to fill out the forms, she verified the card and completed
my application by internet. I recieved my SS number and card in the mail about 10
days later. It will state on it "valid for work only with INS authorization". It
doesn't matter, the number is valid and you already have authorization by virtue of
having your work permit.

Good luck in your interview, I am still waiting for mine. We did all the paperwork on
26 Mar 02 and I recieved my work permit on 10 Apr 02. So, I think that things are
going relatively smooth so to speak. How long did you have to wait for your
interview?

Mark from

Vancouver Edmonton Brandon Ottawa Quebec City Oromocto

whew!!..........now, Oklahoma ! )

Fdigu123

yes u can apply for SSN from the day u get ur work authorization cos in other to find
work u need the ssn.. so go apply today..it takes 10 working days to get back to
u..

> Hi,
    >
    > Im a Canadian married to a US citizen, and we have our INS interview
coming
    > up in August, and I already have my work authorization. Can I go ahead
now
    > and apply for my Social Security Card, or do I have to wait until after
the
    > interview ?
    >
    > Anyone know? Thanks.
    >
    > Regards, Judy

Old May 29th 2002, 1:20 pm
Aftonokla

>Im a Canadian married to a US citizen, and we have our INS interview coming up in
    >August, and I already have my work authorization. Can I go ahead now and apply for
    >my Social Security Card, or do I have to wait until after the interview ?

You may apply for your SS card 5 days after you get your EAD. Only YOU will be issued
a SS number and your card will show a restriction indicationg that you must produce
valid INS authorization to work. Your children will not be issued SS numbers but you
may get IRS tax ID numbers for them for tax and school purposes. Once you complete
your interview and get your Green Card, you may go back to the SS office and be
issued a no restriction SS card and get numbers for any children as well.

Old May 29th 2002, 2:20 pm
Aftonokla

>I am a Cdn married to a US citizen. The day I went to OK city and received my work
    >permit, I came back to the town I am in and applied for my social security number.
    >It took about twenty minutes to fill out the forms, she verified the card and
    >completed my

I guess it is different there. In Atlanta you have to wait 3 days for the INS to
enter the EAD into the computers so the local SS office can verify status. We learned
that when we went the same day and tried to get it.

Old May 30th 2002, 3:20 am
James Donovan

news:<[email protected] able.rogers.com>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Im a Canadian married to a US citizen, and we have our INS interview coming up in
    > August, and I already have my work authorization. Can I go ahead now and apply for
    > my Social Security Card, or do I have to wait until after the interview ?

You could have applied for a SSN since the day you got your work authorization.

Old May 30th 2002, 3:20 am
Matthew Brooks

Here in Alabama when I came down from Canada on a TN visa I applied for my SSN the
day after I got here. About 24 hours later I was able to call in and get my actual
SSN (They gave me a record number so that I could keep checking) which I could then
use. 1-2 weeks later the real card came.

Old Jun 6th 2002, 7:20 pm
News.Verizon.Ne

Yes, you can apply for the Social Security Card at the nearest Social Security
office. Just bring copies of the Form I-130 and I485 with you and the paid receipt
showing your A number. It will be in the format A90-000-000 (don't worry about the
actual numbers, I think they will be a 45 million series). The SS office might ask
for more information. They also might just issue a social security number without
employment authorization with INS approval only (which you have). Did you file the
paper work yourself or thru an attorney? If your filed thru an attorney, then he
would have the results from the petition. More information is available if you need.

"James Donovan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > "Judylk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Im a Canadian married to a US citizen, and we have our INS interview
coming
    > > up in August, and I already have my work authorization. Can I go ahead
now
    > > and apply for my Social Security Card, or do I have to wait until after
the
    > > interview ?
    >
    > You could have applied for a SSN since the day you got your work
authorization.

Old Jun 7th 2002, 2:23 am
James Donovan

First of all, I am not flaming you, but your advice always tends to be incorrect.
Please verify your advice before inadvertently misleading someone.

"news.verizon.net" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>. ..
    > Yes, you can apply for the Social Security Card at the nearest Social Security
    > office. Just bring copies of the Form I-130 and I485 with you and the paid receipt
    > showing your A number.

This is NOT true. The SSA office only accepts valid INS documents, like I-551(green
card) and I-688B (EAD). They will NOT issue you an SS number with your i-485 and
i-130 forms.

They will NOT issue an SS number to anyone else who is not legally authorized to work
in the US unless the number is required by law, and they have narrowed down what is
"required by law" and what is not.

> It will be in the format A90-000-000 (don't worry about the actual numbers, I think
    > they will be a 45 million series).

This is nuts! SS Numbers are in the format xxx-xx-xxxx. Numbers beginning with 9 are
Tax ID numbers, and are issued by IRS, NOT SSA.

Old Jun 7th 2002, 5:20 am
News.Verizon.Ne

To James Donovan Forms I130 and I485 are Immigrant documents. Second, Immigration
uses A 43-567-789 as there ID numbers. The original message told the group that they
did have employment authorization. Since you did not have any ideal of what I am
talking about, you are the one with bad information. I have been reading your
responses to others, and you are the one that does not seem know what you are talking
about. First, if you are an attorney, you are the one hurting your clients, because
the first thing I hear, "My attorney told me this". Second, if you work for
Immigration, like I do, you need to find a new line of work. I work for Inspections
at four different locations. I don't know about all the programs, but I have the
sources to find out. If you wish to find out more, then we can talk under a private
message or you can call me upon responding from this message. Fred

> First of all, I am not flaming you, but your advice always tends to be incorrect.
    > Please verify your advice before inadvertently misleading someone.
    >
    > "news.verizon.net" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>. ..
    > > Yes, you can apply for the Social Security Card at the nearest Social Security
    > > office. Just bring copies of the Form I-130 and I485 with you and the
paid
    > > receipt showing your A number.
    >
    > This is NOT true. The SSA office only accepts valid INS documents, like I-551(green
    > card) and I-688B (EAD). They will NOT issue you an SS number with your i-485 and
    > i-130 forms.
    >
    > They will NOT issue an SS number to anyone else who is not legally authorized to
    > work in the US unless the number is required by law, and they have narrowed down
    > what is "required by law" and what is not.
    >
    > > It will be in the format A90-000-000 (don't worry about the actual numbers, I
    > > think they will be a 45 million series).
    >
    >
    > This is nuts! SS Numbers are in the format xxx-xx-xxxx. Numbers beginning with 9
    > are Tax ID numbers, and are issued by IRS, NOT SSA.

Old Jun 7th 2002, 5:20 am
L D Jones

"news.verizon.net" wrote:
    >
    > To James Donovan Forms I130 and I485 are Immigrant documents. Second, Immigration
    > uses A 43-567-789 as there ID numbers. The original message told the group that
    > they did have employment authorization. Since you did not have any ideal of what I
    > am talking about, you are the one with bad information.

Donovan's point is that you cannot simply take an I-130 and I-485 with you to the
Social Security office and expect a number. They will not give you an SSN based on
just these documents, even if the person already has an "A" number. You must take one
or more of the documents SSA will accept. The I-130/485 are not on that list.

Your reply is misleading and incorrect. It is unlikely the SSA will "just issue" the
number, as you mentioned in a previous post, based on these documents.

Old Jun 7th 2002, 1:20 pm
James Donovan

news:<[email protected]>...
    > To James Donovan Forms I130 and I485 are Immigrant documents. Second, Immigration
    > uses A 43-567-789 as there ID numbers. The original message told the group that
    > they did have employment authorization. Since you did not have any ideal of what I
    > am talking about, you are the one with bad information. I have been reading your
    > responses to others, and you are the one that does not seem know what you are
    > talking about. First, if you are an attorney, you are the one hurting your clients,
    > because the first thing I hear, "My attorney told me this".

I am not an attorney. You have been misleading people on several things, including
245(i) and this social security thing. Social Security WILL NOT and I repeat, WILL
NOT accept

> Second, if you work for Immigration, like I do, you need to find a new line
    > of work.

LMAO. I believe that you work for INS because many INS officers DO NOT HAVE A CLUE as
to what the actual rules are.

> I work for Inspections at four different locations.

But are you a DAO? If you were a DAO you would know about adjustment of status and so
on. But you are not.

> I don't know about all the programs, but I have the sources to find out.

I suggest you read some of the older posts in this group and see exactly what your
agency is doing, and how they are mangling the immigration law and making life hard
for prospective immigrants, while letting border jumpers slide straight through. INS
needs an overhaul badly.

Old Jun 7th 2002, 2:20 pm
Bm

What would be the point of having an EAD if you can't have a SSN? Of course you
can get it.

> "Judylk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Im a Canadian married to a US citizen, and we have our INS interview
coming
    > > up in August, and I already have my work authorization. Can I go ahead
now
    > > and apply for my Social Security Card, or do I have to wait until after
the
    > > interview ?
    >
    > You could have applied for a SSN since the day you got your work
authorization.

Bm

You can use your I-688 and another form of identity. If unsure, go ask the SSA office
nearest you. Believe it or not, they vary in what they require from office to office,
much like the INS.

> Yes, you can apply for the Social Security Card at the nearest Social Security
    > office. Just bring copies of the Form I-130 and I485 with you and the
paid
    > receipt showing your A number. It will be in the format A90-000-000 (don't worry
    > about the actual numbers, I think they will be a 45 million series). The SS office
    > might ask for more information. They also might just issue a social security number
    > without employment authorization with INS approval only (which you have). Did you
    > file the paper work yourself or thru an attorney? If your filed thru an attorney,
    > then he would have the results from the petition. More information is available if
    > you need.
    >
    > "James Donovan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > "Judylk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected] able.rogers.com>...
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > Im a Canadian married to a US citizen, and we have our INS interview
    > coming
    > > > up in August, and I already have my work authorization. Can I go
ahead
    > now
    > > > and apply for my Social Security Card, or do I have to wait until
after
    > the
    > > > interview ?
    > >
    > > You could have applied for a SSN since the day you got your work
    > authorization.

Bm

To get the rules, all she has to do is ask the social security office where she will
go to get the card and they will tell her what she needs. I would think she could
bring her EAD card in along with some other form of identification.

> "news.verizon.net" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > > To James Donovan Forms I130 and I485 are Immigrant documents. Second, Immigration
    > > uses A 43-567-789 as there ID numbers. The original message told the group that
    > > they did have employment authorization. Since you did not have any ideal of what
    > > I am talking about, you are the one with bad
information.
    > > I have been reading your responses to others, and you are the one that does not
    > > seem know what you are talking about. First, if you are an attorney, you are the
    > > one hurting your clients,
because
    > > the first thing I hear, "My attorney told me this".
    >
    > I am not an attorney. You have been misleading people on several things, including
    > 245(i) and this social security thing. Social Security WILL NOT and I repeat, WILL
    > NOT accept
    >
    > > Second, if you work for Immigration, like I do, you need to find a new line
    > > of work.
    >
    > LMAO. I believe that you work for INS because many INS officers DO NOT HAVE A CLUE
    > as to what the actual rules are.
    >
    > > I work for Inspections at four different locations.
    >
    > But are you a DAO? If you were a DAO you would know about adjustment of status and
    > so on. But you are not.
    >
    > > I don't know about all the programs, but I have the sources to find out.
    >
    > I suggest you read some of the older posts in this group and see exactly what your
    > agency is doing, and how they are mangling the immigration law and making life hard
    > for prospective immigrants, while letting border jumpers slide straight through.
    > INS needs an overhaul badly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.