Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Is it INS BCIS or USCIS now??

Wikiposts

Is it INS BCIS or USCIS now??

Old Dec 2nd 2003, 10:08 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is it INS BCIS or USCIS now??

Hi people - bear with us !
Can anyone tell me if, when making out a cheque (thats check to all the USC's) to put in with our initial K-1 forms if you it payable to the INS (as it says on the somewhat dated instructions) or to the USCIS or the BCIS or whatever the hell they are called now ?
Also Jeff my USC fiance can't find his birth certificate anywhere and is planning on just using his passport as ID instead - do you think this will be okay?
Thanks guys you've been amazingly helpful!!
Sarah and Jeff
Old Dec 2nd 2003, 10:21 am
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it INS BCIS or USCIS now??

I'm sure they will accept either of the 3 names.

Originally posted by elviswasmydad
I thought that the USC was supposed to turn in his birth certificate. Don't they ask for that in the instructions??
According to the instructions the USC is supposed to send a copy of the front and back of the birth certificate. HOWEVER, it states in section 3D of form I-129F that:

In place of any of the above, you may give INS a copy of your valid, unexpired U.S. passport that was issued for at least 5 years. You must sumbit copies of all pages in the passport.
Old Dec 2nd 2003, 10:22 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by SarahUK
Hi people - bear with us !
Can anyone tell me if, when making out a cheque (thats check to all the USC's) to put in with our initial K-1 forms if you it payable to the INS (as it says on the somewhat dated instructions) or to the USCIS or the BCIS or whatever the hell they are called now ?
Also Jeff my USC fiance can't find his birth certificate anywhere and is planning on just using his passport as ID instead - do you think this will be okay?
Thanks guys you've been amazingly helpful!!
Sarah and Jeff
Hey there Sarah and Jeff

This subject has ben disccused before, write it to either BCIS or USCIS since they are the newest names.
If he cant find the birth certificate, make a copy of his passport, that will prove he is a US Citizen
Old Dec 2nd 2003, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

mrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by SarahUK
SarahUK, look at Question #12 on the I-129F. It says this: "If you are a US citizen, complete the following.

"My citizenship was acquired through (check one) Birth in the US OR Naturalization.
Give number of certificate, date and place it was issued".

You have to write in your birth certificate number there, or your naturalization cert. there. In the list of supporting evidence it says "Instructions, #3. "What documents do you need to show you are a USC?" "A. If you were born in the united states, give INS a copy, front and back of your birth certificate."

Looks like it's time to apply for another birth certificate!
Old Dec 2nd 2003, 10:32 am
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute

Why did elviswasmydad's post dissapear?

Originally posted by mrpink
It would probably be a good idea to get one in any case...you never know what else you may need it for in the future! I also think they're not that hard or expensive to get. I believe they're only $5 or $10.
Old Dec 2nd 2003, 10:39 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

MrP,

After reading instruction #3, continue on and read instructin #4.

Regards, JEff

SarahUK, look at Question #12 on the I-129F. It says this: "If you are a US citizen, complete the following.

"My citizenship was acquired through (check one) Birth in the US OR Naturalization.

You have to write in your birth certificate number there, or your naturalization cert. there. In the list of supporting evidence it says "Instructions, #3. "What documents do you need to show you are a USC?" "A. If you were born in the united states, give INS a copy, front and back of your birth certificate."

Old Dec 2nd 2003, 10:40 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

I looked in http://k1.exit.com/k-1frames.html
And under documents that you will need to submit your petition is states:
"Birth certificate: you will need to submit either a copy of your birth certificate or a copy of your passport as proof of your citizenship in the U.S"
If you got the citizenship thru naturalization you will have to submit front and back of your cert.. but if you were born in the states, isn´t a copy of your US passport enough to show you are a USC?

Last edited by Hypertweeky; Dec 2nd 2003 at 10:42 am.
Old Dec 2nd 2003, 10:45 am
BE Enthusiast

supernav will become famous soon enoughsupernav will become famous soon enough

Don't forget:

CBP - Customs and Border Protection

ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement)

and

DHS (Department of Homeland Security)

You could encounter officers of ANY of those agencies!

I just call 'em IS. Immigration Service.

-= nav =-
Old Dec 2nd 2003, 10:48 am
K1 via London

Originally posted by supernav
ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement)
And here I thought ICE was one of those fast trains. *giggles*
Old Dec 2nd 2003, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

mrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jeffreyhy

After reading instruction #3, continue on and read instructin #4.
JEff,

ok, #4 is "what if a document is not available?"

"If the documents needed above are not available, you can give the INS the following, instead. However, INS may request, in writing, that you obtain a statement from the appropriate civil authority certifying that the needed document is not available, etc"

No where did SaraUK say that his birth certificate was unavailable; she simply said he didn't have it.

Seems to me that if the USCIS might require you to obtain a letter from the certifying agency, you might as well get the bloody certificate in the first place! These things are not difficult to get, unless of course, they are "unavailable".

Cheers,

Mr Pink
~and SecretGarden
~~No more NSC for us, yay!
Old Dec 2nd 2003, 11:14 am
Mrt

mrpink wrote:
    >
    > SarahUK, look at Question #12 on the I-129F. It says this: "If you are
    > a US citizen, complete the following.
    >
    >
    >
    > "My citizenship was acquired through (check one) Birth in the US OR
    > Naturalization.
    >
    > Give number of certificate, date and place it was issued".

> You have to write in your birth certificate number there, or your
    > naturalization cert. there.

I thought this was discussed here before and it was determine they only
need a number here if you were naturalized.

Old Dec 2nd 2003, 11:16 am
Mrt

jeffreyhy wrote:

> MrP,
    >
    >
    >
    > After reading instruction #3, continue on and read instructin #4.
    >

I thought that applied if you couldn't get a BC, not if you didn't have
one handy.