Wikiposts

information please

Old Jun 11th 2009, 11:20 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: information please

Originally Posted by thepieman
I bought the ticket about 4 hrs ago thinking i had a bargain lol.. i will let you know if i get a refund and how much.. thanks for taking the time to help me out
Good luck.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 11:25 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

I bought the ticket about 4 hrs ago thinking i had a bargain lol.. i will let you know if i get a refund and how much.. thanks for taking the time to help me out
You might be in luck, if they haven't ticketed it yet.

FWIW, I had a look at alternatives (since you've got no chance of avoiding the USA on AA metal). Iberia fly direct to Bogota from Madrid and LAN go from Madrid via Lima. If you don't get a refund then there might be a very slim chance of using part of the value towards an AA code-share on Iberia/LAN metal. But I'm not optimistic and, in fact, am not even sure such code-shares exist.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 11:34 am
Just Joined

thepieman is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi cartreuse yes i had already checked out iberia from mad-meddelin but the aa deal was so much cheaper i didnt consider the visa situation until i saw it on the aa ticket itineray thasts when i started getting worried and found this forum..i have had the ticket number emailed to me and have used this to go through their eticket refund system.. if they do have a 24hr cooling off period i dont know if theres any other way of doing it..
I feel a bit of fool but hope this might help out anyone else in similar situation
Old Jun 11th 2009, 11:37 am
US immigration lawyer.

JCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond repute

I am just in the process of trying to cancel my ticket and it needs to go for manual review. There is a comments box on the eform should i give the reason of my visa in asking for a refund? does this help or hinder? any advice please as i try to rectify this mess lol.. thanks again
Here's my view. First, you DO need a B-2 to transit the USA. Although POE authorities can and have at times waived this, it is rare, rare, rare. If you are on a THROUGH FLIGHT (e.g., merely stopping and getting back on board for the remainder of your journey) AND IF you are a citizen or legal resident of Colombia, then MAYBE they would waive. Frankly, however, you'll go broke making book in favor of border guards exercising mercy.

Second, you can merely tell the airline that due to passport and visa difficulties, you are not able to transit the USA.

Third, if Bogotá is your destination, you might think of doing LHR-MAD-BOG. That way, you by-pass the USA altogether. AA, BA, and IB are all part of OneWorld, are they not? You might be able to argue that if you re-route, you'll be keeping money in the OneWorld family.

Best of luck.

--J Craig Fong
Los Angeles, CA

Last edited by JCraigFong; Jun 11th 2009 at 11:40 am.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 11:38 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi cartreuse yes i had already checked out iberia from mad-meddelin but the aa deal was so much cheaper i didnt consider the visa situation until i saw it on the aa ticket itineray thasts when i started getting worried and found this forum..i have had the ticket number emailed to me and have used this to go through their eticket refund system.. if they do have a 24hr cooling off period i dont know if theres any other way of doing it..
I feel a bit of fool but hope this might help out anyone else in similar situation
Look on AAs website for the terms and conditions...you may be able to determine whether you'll get a refund from there.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 11:43 am
Just Joined

thank you JCraigFong.. you have all helped me out.. i have applied for the refund with those reasons and am actually going to a place outside medellin. it is also via madrid from heathrow but for cost reasons chose AA.. maybe not so cheap after all now lol
Old Jun 11th 2009, 11:47 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JCraigFong
Frankly, however, you'll go broke making book in favor of border guards exercising mercy.
J - given your learned colleague's recent comment that neither he nor you make book, you two sure do talk about it a lot.

Third, if Bogotá is your destination, you might think of doing LHR-MAD-BOG. That way, you by-pass the USA altogether. AA, BA, and IB are all part of OneWorld, are they not? You might be able to argue that if you re-route, you'll be keeping money in the OneWorld family.
Yup, OneWorld was my thinking in looking at IB and LAN. Not that I think the "keeping it in the family" argument will fly (if you'll forgive the pun) but because it makes the chance of a code-share more likely.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 11:52 am
Just Joined

i have checked out their refund policy as best i can and i guess i have to wait for this manual review.. i just hope i havnt missed out on some 24 hr cooling off period and have made a note about one world and try that when i get a reply from AA.. thanks everyone again
Old Jun 11th 2009, 12:16 pm
US immigration lawyer.

JCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
J - given your learned colleague's recent comment that neither he nor you make book, you two sure do talk about it a lot.
"Yer darn tootin'", said the old Prospector. You know how much time I spend giving out free advice that I should be charging for? I'm as poor as a churchmouse, and if I thought I could make my mortgage payments by betting the ponies, I'd do it. Alas, I have notoriously bad luck with games of chance!

Old Jun 11th 2009, 12:28 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Here's my view. First, you DO need a B-2 to transit the USA. Although POE authorities can and have at times waived this, it is rare, rare, rare. If you are on a THROUGH FLIGHT (e.g., merely stopping and getting back on board for the remainder of your journey) AND IF you are a citizen or legal resident of Colombia, then MAYBE they would waive. Frankly, however, you'll go broke making book in favor of border guards exercising mercy.
I agree. I think the waiver/parole at the POE would be unlikely considering the nature of his criminal record.

The guards are not allowed to issue on the spot waivers of criminal grounds at a POE unless the applicant didn't know they were inadmissible. A parole to depart would also be unlikely. They could allow the person to withdraw/visa waiver refuse them but let them proceed onward but they'd be concerned he'd try to come back through the US on the return leg.

However, the airline would be unlikely to board him to the US without a visa unless he's got an approved ESTA. If he gets an approved ESTA, it would be under false pretenses.

If the ESTA application was false, then the intent to violate the law and roll the dice would make it even more unlikely that relief would be offered in any form.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 10:14 pm
Wishful thinking...

radion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to behold

"Yer darn tootin'", said the old Prospector. You know how much time I spend giving out free advice that I should be charging for? I'm as poor as a churchmouse, and if I thought I could make my mortgage payments by betting the ponies, I'd do it. Alas, I have notoriously bad luck with games of chance!

Yes but you are a good egg, and I would like to thank you for your valued advice, on this and many other threads....
Old Jun 12th 2009, 7:05 am
US immigration lawyer.

Originally Posted by radion
Yes but you are a good egg, and I would like to thank you for your valued advice, on this and many other threads....

"Can't complain. Mustn't grumble."

I was not really venting, although I have been known to get a bit testy some months when the mortgage is due. I enjoy almost all of the comments and interactions here on BE. I'm glad if I've been helpful.

Old Jun 16th 2009, 4:13 am
Just Joined

Hello again. just thought id update you and ask for any suggestions please.
i submitted a refund request online and waited untill today when i tel c/r at AAUK.. Told its a non refundable ticket and caant transfer to iberia..Basically i get back about £50 uk airport taxes from a £440 ticket.. nice 1..
So does anyone have any suggestion.. i can only see 3 options.. try to get the correct visa by end of september,is this possible in the time?(the cost if known inc any fees). To take a chance with the esta and take the flight(what is the likely penalty if stopped?) or to take the £50, cry for a week,cuss AA and then go purchase a ticket from iberia..
Its a harsh lesson to purchasing on the internet, it seems harsh that you can buy something so expensive and being non refundable.Im sure had i gone to a travel agent then it wouldnt have ever got to this point. My mistake was not to have researched the booking conditions more thoroughly and also my visa restrictions. It was a spur of the moment decision..
So there you are.. any help, ideas suggestions much appreciated
Old Jun 16th 2009, 4:36 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

So there you are.. any help, ideas suggestions much appreciated
How did you pay? By credit card? Contact the card company and cancel or dispute the transaction.

Ian
Old Jun 16th 2009, 4:59 am
Just Joined

Hi ian, yes i did pay by credit card.. im not sure if the transaction has gone through i booked ticket on 11/6/09.. dispute the transaction on what grounds?
thanks for your help

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.