info required for marrying a us citizen in uk

Wikiposts

info required for marrying a us citizen in uk

Old Jan 27th 2008, 1:27 pm
Just Joined

ray4you is an unknown quantity at this point
Default info required for marrying a us citizen in uk

hi all:

im a new member just needed some info im a foreign student studying in uk my girlfriend is a us citizen who is coming to uk and we plan to get married does she need any special permission to get married to a foreigner in the uk since mericans dont requie a visa to come to uk as tourists.any info will be highly apprciated
Old Jan 27th 2008, 1:59 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: info required for marrying a us citizen in uk

Originally Posted by ray4you
hi all:

im a new member just needed some info im a foreign student studying in uk my girlfriend is a us citizen who is coming to uk and we plan to get married does she need any special permission to get married to a foreigner in the uk since mericans dont requie a visa to come to uk as tourists.any info will be highly apprciated
Yes, your USC girlfriend will need a special visa to enter the UK with marriage intent. She can't come to the UK as a tourist and get married there. Do a search around in this forum for the link to a site with more details about getting married in the UK.

Edit to add....the visa she will need only takes a couple of weeks to obtain. Nothing difficult.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jan 27th 2008, 2:03 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Yes, your USC girlfriend will need a special visa to enter the UK with marriage intent. She can't come to the UK as a tourist and get married there. Do a search around in this forum for the link to a site with more details about getting married in the UK.

Edit to add....the visa she will need only takes a couple of weeks to obtain. Nothing difficult.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Hi:

His fact situation is a tad different than most people traveling to the UK to get married. I wonder if the fact that the poster is temporarily in the UK makes a difference? I really don't know and I think the question is a fair one.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 2:44 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

His fact situation is a tad different than most people traveling to the UK to get married. I wonder if the fact that the poster is temporarily in the UK makes a difference? I really don't know and I think the question is a fair one.
Good point.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Google told me that:

"International students (visa nationals) wishing to get married or enter into a civil partnership in the UK need to apply to the Border and Immigration Agency for a Certificate of Approval for Marriage or Civil Partnership before they can get married.

To download the Certificate of Approval Marriage/Civil Partnership application form and guidance notes please visit the Border and Immigration Agency's website.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 3:54 am
Forum Regular

thedudeabides is just really nicethedudeabides is just really nicethedudeabides is just really nicethedudeabides is just really nicethedudeabides is just really nicethedudeabides is just really nicethedudeabides is just really nicethedudeabides is just really nice

Hi there,
Don't know if this is helpful, probably more of an example of how not to go about it..but anyway I married my wife (US citizen) in UK and she had no visa, just entered as a tourist. Once we had the marriage certificate we applied for UK residency. She got it with no problems other than it took a few months to process.
Good luck anyway, hope it works out for you both.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 4:01 am

Originally Posted by thedudeabides
Hi there,
Don't know if this is helpful, probably more of an example of how not to go about it..but anyway I married my wife (US citizen) in UK and she had no visa, just entered as a tourist. Once we had the marriage certificate we applied for UK residency. She got it with no problems other than it took a few months to process.
Good luck anyway, hope it works out for you both.
Dude, how long ago was your experience?

Rene
Old Jan 28th 2008, 4:13 am
Forum Regular

thedudeabides is just really nicethedudeabides is just really nicethedudeabides is just really nicethedudeabides is just really nicethedudeabides is just really nicethedudeabides is just really nicethedudeabides is just really nicethedudeabides is just really nice

Yeah true, it was 1999 to be fair. They might have tightened things up since then.

Although I seem to remember at the time people were saying she needs a fiance visa and what not, but it didn't stop us from being able to get married in UK and then once we had the certificate, the UK immigration said everything was cool.

But you're right...probably best to go through the correct channels
Old Jan 28th 2008, 4:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Yes, your USC girlfriend will need a special visa to enter the UK with marriage intent.
Unless they plan to get married in an Anglican church.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 4:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
It doesn't, unfortunately. See here.

Yeah true, it was 1999 to be fair. They might have tightened things up since then.
The new rules were introduced in February 2005.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 4:31 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marocco
It doesn't, unfortunately. See here.
It sounds like both of them will need a COA to get married in the UK.

Ian
Old Jan 28th 2008, 5:03 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Although I seem to remember at the time people were saying she needs a fiance visa and what not, but it didn't stop us from being able to get married in UK and then once we had the certificate, the UK immigration said everything was cool.

But you're right...probably best to go through the correct channels
yes, it's tightened up, need to get a visa in the UK for the last few years now...