Reload this Page >

Income and affidavit of support

Income and affidavit of support

Old Jul 25th 2010, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

buzwad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Income and affidavit of support

Hi everyone,

My wife (USC) petitioned for DCF, which has been approved... so I've now got to get my documents together before sending off the forms that say I'm ready for interview

My question is about the financial requirements. We have around $50k in savings.... not enough for the 5x poverty line difference, since neither of us have an income that will continue when we move to the US. However, I have been in talks, and had a series of interviews, with a college in Florida that is keen to employ me. I'm expecting that they will soon provide me with a conditional (on me getting the visa) job offer, with a salary stated in it. Can I use this as evidence that we will have enough money to live off (the job will pay around $60-70k a year)?

Inlaws are an option for more income, but I'm reluctant to use them for that.

Your advice is very much appreciated
Old Jul 25th 2010, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Income and affidavit of support

In-laws (or anyone else who is a US citizen or permanent resident and who meets the income requirements) is definitely what you need to be looking at.

Job offers are essentially worthless for the purposes of the affidavit of support.
Old Jul 25th 2010, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

buzwad is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks md95065,

Perhaps I've got two issues confused... I had in my mind that the affidavit was only required if I/we couldn't show ourselves that we were over the poverty line threshold for income. This led me to think that if my income was going to be enough, then affidavits wouldn't be required (but may be helpful!).

However, it sounds like my idea was wrong. I will start the ball rolling on a co-sponsor, just in case
Old Jul 25th 2010, 9:45 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by buzwad
Thanks md95065,

Perhaps I've got two issues confused... I had in my mind that the affidavit was only required if I/we couldn't show ourselves that we were over the poverty line threshold for income. This led me to think that if my income was going to be enough, then affidavits wouldn't be required (but may be helpful!).

However, it sounds like my idea was wrong. I will start the ball rolling on a co-sponsor, just in case
The requirement for using assets as a married couple is only 3x the amount you would have needed in income, so perhaps your savings is enough after all. Recalculate and see if it is.

Future income cannot be counted on the I-864, but it helps in providing an overall picture of your future life in the USA, it's a good thing to show at the interview, even if it does not help the I-1864.

If your savings is not enough, then you will need the in-laws to joint sponsor.

Rene
Old Jul 25th 2010, 10:07 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Unless the values have changed in the past ten months, the requirement in savings for a household of two where the visa is based on marriage to a US citizen is 3 x $18,212 or $54,636. You're nearly there. There's no way of knowing exactly what exchange rate the embassy uses, unfortunately.

You can either recalculate your balance and save like heck during the time between now and your interview or you can get a joint sponsor. It'll probably be safer to have the joint sponsor as you'll be able to present a stronger overall financial standing.
Old Jul 25th 2010, 10:14 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Not true. Your wife must execute an I-864 affidavit of support. Your income (under limited circumstances, which you do not meet) and your assets can be included with hers on her affidavit because you are her household member.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by buzwad
I had in my mind that the affidavit was only required if I/we couldn't show ourselves that we were over the poverty line threshold for income.

Last edited by jeffreyhy; Jul 25th 2010 at 10:18 pm.