Reload this Page >

Implications of working for a UK company on fiance visa in the US

Wikiposts

Implications of working for a UK company on fiance visa in the US

Old Dec 19th 2003, 2:58 am
Forum Regular

clare009 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Implications of working for a UK company on fiance visa in the US

Wow, I'm not sure where to begin with this as it is probably a whole other ball game and probably not applicable to this forum, but I thought some of you might have had experience or knowledge about this.

I spoke to my boss today about resigning as I would like to travel to the US as soon as possible and he would like me to continue to work for him part-time via remote PC connection in the US.

I'm assuming I won't need an EAD for this as my Employer will be in the UK - but what are the payment and tax implications? UK tax or US tax? I will obviously become a resident of the US and am not even a UK citizen (South African) plus the bank account I have and use in the UK is an offshore one.

Clare

ps - I'm travelling to the US on a K1 visa and will marry in the next couple of months and file for AOS.
Old Dec 19th 2003, 3:06 am
Forum Regular

cmstrick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Implications of working for a UK company on fiance visa in the US

Originally posted by clare009
Wow, I'm not sure where to begin with this as it is probably a whole other ball game and probably not applicable to this forum, but I thought some of you might have had experience or knowledge about this.

I spoke to my boss today about resigning as I would like to travel to the US as soon as possible and he would like me to continue to work for him part-time via remote PC connection in the US.

I'm assuming I won't need an EAD for this as my Employer will be in the UK - but what are the payment and tax implications? UK tax or US tax? I will obviously become a resident of the US and am not even a UK citizen (South African) plus the bank account I have and use in the UK is an offshore one.

Clare

ps - I'm travelling to the US on a K1 visa and will marry in the next couple of months and file for AOS.
what would it matter if he continued to put the money you earn into your UK bank account?

i'm not positive about it, but i would think that you would only need authorization to work in the US if you were taking US funds from a US company, etc...
Old Dec 19th 2003, 3:15 am
BE Enthusiast

kariml is an unknown quantity at this point

Clare

You might be able to find some more info on the alt.visa.us forum. My husband was offered something similar. He was a web designer in Germany and planned to do some small projects for his old company from here. He has not done anything yet, but it seems there may be some tax issues invloved which seemed rather complicated. Not for sure though, we never looked into it too much.
Old Dec 19th 2003, 3:16 am
Forum Regular

clare009 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by cmstrick
what would it matter if he continued to put the money you earn into your UK bank account?

i'm not positive about it, but i would think that you would only need authorization to work in the US if you were taking US funds from a US company, etc...

Hi, yes - that's what I thought - since the EAD is basically there for the US employer to keep their records correct I doubt it would be a problem with the UK employer. I'm still not so clear on tax implications. I guess I could invoice him as a 'freelance' worker and then I'd have to declare my earnings either in the US or the UK for tax purposes.

I guess I would have to discuss this with the company accountant.

Clare
Old Dec 19th 2003, 11:40 am
Waiting for Clare

jgatties is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, yes - that's what I thought - since the EAD is basically there for the US employer to keep their records correct I doubt it would be a problem with the UK employer. I'm still not so clear on tax implications. I guess I could invoice him as a 'freelance' worker and then I'd have to declare my earnings either in the US or the UK for tax purposes.

I guess I would have to discuss this with the company accountant.

Clare
Blah Blah Blah Blah Tax Blah Blah Blah

lol

She's gonna do it...

(don't get it twisted, we pick on each other like this, just playful )