Impending Interview in London

Wikiposts

Impending Interview in London

Old Jul 24th 2008, 11:27 am
Just Joined

Jadesam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Impending Interview in London

Hi All,
I'm awaiting confirmation of date for my interview in London and would like to get some info on what to expect and how to prepare for a possible filing of a I-601. My background is as follows:
UKC married to USC; Lived in the US as a temporary resident while a bone fide application for asylum was pending. Left US in late teens but then returned on the VWP and 'overstayed'. Honestly at the time I wasnt really clued into the legal implications of overstaying or else I wouldnt have. Nevertheless, during this period of 'overstay', the asylum application was still pending, and no order for deportation had been issued. I left the US eventually to reside in the UK in 2002 and since travelled back and forth to the States with no problem. That was until last year when, after marrying my spouse I tried to reenter the US only to be told that since I had overstayed in 2002 while on the VWP, I was now barred from using it. As result, my spouse and I decided to begin filing the I-130 which has now been approved and I am now awaiting my interview here in London.
So back to the reason why I'm writing. Knowing the overstay is likely to be an issue at the interview, what possible ammunition do I have/could I use at the interview to help my case? Or should I just expect the visa to be denied and an appeal required? Could I mention the fact that the asylum petition was still pending? Would that work in my favour? Furthermore, if we have to go down the appeal route, are there any others out there who have had success overturning a denied visa due to overstay?

Your assistance would be much appreciated.
Jade
Old Jul 24th 2008, 11:40 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Impending Interview in London

Hi Jade,

You have multiple issues going on, I highly suggest speaking with an immigration attorney. If your immigrant visa is denied and you want to file a waiver, you will need an attorney's help. Waivers are not usually a do-it-yourself type of thing. It's best to speak with an attorney NOW, so he can start preparing a waiver, so that you can turn it in right way if your visa is denied.

The basis of a waiver is that there is extreme hardship to the USC (not to YOU). The USC must show extreme hardship in why the USC cannot manage to live in the USA without the spouse; and also why the USC cannot live in the spouse's country.

On a separate issue from your Immigrant Visa, I see that you are a UKC, had an asylum case pending, but were able to safely go back and live in the UK. To me, that defeats your asylum case. An asylum seeker can NOT safely go back to live in their country.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jul 24th 2008, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
On a separate issue from your Immigrant Visa, I see that you are a UKC, had an asylum case pending, but were able to safely go back and live in the UK. To me, that defeats your asylum case. An asylum seeker can NOT safely go back to live in their country.
If that is indeed the case then it would be a problem, but it wasn't 100% clear to me whether the OP was originally a UKC or that they were a UKC at the time that they were seeking asylum. The only way I could see this working was if the OP was originally from some third country from which they were seeking asylum and that they acquired UK citizenship at a later date.

Anyway there isn't enough information to know for sure and it is sufficiently complicated that a consultation with a good immigration attorney is definitely called for.
Old Jul 24th 2008, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

Well, the asylum application was made by my mother who is from a third country while I was a minor. Her sitution did not permit her to reside in the UK or else I'm sure we would have moved to the UK together. I suppose that was why they granted temporary residency.

Either way, can you recommend an immigration lawyer i can contact?

Last edited by Jadesam; Jul 24th 2008 at 10:01 pm.
Old Jul 25th 2008, 2:10 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jadesam
Well, the asylum application was made by my mother who is from a third country while I was a minor. Her sitution did not permit her to reside in the UK or else I'm sure we would have moved to the UK together. I suppose that was why they granted temporary residency.

Either way, can you recommend an immigration lawyer i can contact?
I understand your asylum situation now. I'm not a lawyer, but I would tend to think having a history which shows you don't HAVE to live in the USA won't help your waiver case very much.

Go to www.ailalawyer.com to find a US immigration lawyer.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jul 25th 2008, 2:24 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,
I'm awaiting confirmation of date for my interview in London and would like to get some info on what to expect and how to prepare for a possible filing of a I-601. My background is as follows:
UKC married to USC; Lived in the US as a temporary resident while a bone fide application for asylum was pending. Left US in late teens but then returned on the VWP and 'overstayed'. Honestly at the time I wasnt really clued into the legal implications of overstaying or else I wouldnt have. Nevertheless, during this period of 'overstay', the asylum application was still pending, and no order for deportation had been issued. I left the US eventually to reside in the UK in 2002 and since travelled back and forth to the States with no problem. That was until last year when, after marrying my spouse I tried to reenter the US only to be told that since I had overstayed in 2002 while on the VWP, I was now barred from using it. As result, my spouse and I decided to begin filing the I-130 which has now been approved and I am now awaiting my interview here in London.
So back to the reason why I'm writing. Knowing the overstay is likely to be an issue at the interview, what possible ammunition do I have/could I use at the interview to help my case? Or should I just expect the visa to be denied and an appeal required? Could I mention the fact that the asylum petition was still pending? Would that work in my favour? Furthermore, if we have to go down the appeal route, are there any others out there who have had success overturning a denied visa due to overstay?

Your assistance would be much appreciated.
Jade
Hi:

How long was the "overstay?" You don't mention.

Also, make sure that your asylum claim didn't mature into a deportation/removal hearing. Weird things can happen.
Old Jul 25th 2008, 2:31 am
Just Joined

Well I do have to live in the US. My spouse is in the US and we have a 5mth old child who has only been seen once by his father. Leaving his job would mean significant financial loss and would mean major disruption of service at his job because of his position and responsibilities there. We cant bear the thought of having to live separated until 2012 when my ban would be lifted.
Old Jul 25th 2008, 2:33 am
Just Joined

My overstay was for 14 months.
Old Jul 25th 2008, 3:06 am

My overstay was for 14 months.
I've heard there is a good message board like this one which deals more with waivers. I can't think of the name offhand, but if you do a search on this forum for others who have had to file waivers, I'm sure you'll find it. More people over at that other forum know about waivers, more than on this forum.

Try searching.

Rene
Old Jul 25th 2008, 3:10 am
Just Joined

Thanks Renee
Old Jul 25th 2008, 3:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Well I do have to live in the US. My spouse is in the US and we have a 5mth old child who has only been seen once by his father. Leaving his job would mean significant financial loss and would mean major disruption of service at his job because of his position and responsibilities there. We cant bear the thought of having to live separated until 2012 when my ban would be lifted.
I don't really follow this at all. I assume you are the father of the child, and you are speaking about yourself in third person? If your job is in the UK, you would have to leave the job in order to move to the US, so you would already have a disruption in income from yourself. If you are making this kind of money at your job in the UK, on the surface of what you've said so far, I see no reason why she can't move to the UK for a few years until your ban is lifted. However, I know very little about waivers, and perhaps there are other personal issues that could be used.

Your best bet is to at least have a one time consultation with an attorney. I think the forum that has a lot of folks with knowledge of I-601's is www.immigrate2us.net - check them out to start gathering knowledge.

Good luck.
Old Jul 25th 2008, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
I don't really follow this at all. I assume you are the father of the child, and you are speaking about yourself in third person? If your job is in the UK, you would have to leave the job in order to move to the US, so you would already have a disruption in income from yourself. If you are making this kind of money at your job in the UK, on the surface of what you've said so far, I see no reason why she can't move to the UK for a few years until your ban is lifted. However, I know very little about waivers, and perhaps there are other personal issues that could be used.
I think the OP is female, with a child, living in the UK. I think her husband is the one in the USA making good money and can't afford to leave his job.

The waiver must show hardship to the USC, not the UKC. If the USC is highly skilled, I don't see why he wouldn't be able to find a similar job in the UK.

Rene
Old Jul 25th 2008, 4:09 am
Just Joined

Renee, you've got the whole situation right.

And having my husband leave his job is easier said than done.
Old Jul 25th 2008, 4:48 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi:

Based upon the 14 months, you will need a waiver. You have now laid out the facts. As mentioned in another post, you will have to show hardship to the US Citizen spouse and child.

You know your situation better than anyone on this forum -- after all, it is your case. It might help to think about facts that would establish hardship -- you may want to bounce them off of people here. Or you might want to hire a lawyer with experience in waivers.

So YOUR job now is to suggest why there would be hardship -- you have not stated any yet.
Old Jul 25th 2008, 4:58 am
Forum Regular

californian is an unknown quantity at this point

Both Edward Gudeon and Kehrela Hodkinson are known for their work with waivers.

Obviously, you'd like to be reunited with your husband as soon as possible --- with this in mind it is probably best to speak with a US Immigration Attorney, based in London, sooner rather than later.

Best of luck to you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.