Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Immigration to USA - civil partnership same as marriage for green card?

Immigration to USA - civil partnership same as marriage for green card?

Old Jan 10th 2016, 7:38 am
Just Joined

LA2016 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Immigration to USA - civil partnership same as marriage for green card?

Hi Furrmacist, many thanks for your comment.
We converted to a marriage just before Xmas - and now I'm starting the I-130.

Can I ask what backing / additional information you sent off with the form, and am I correct in thinking you have to send your passport, and if so, how long were you without it for?

Many thanks

LA2016
Old Jan 10th 2016, 12:28 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigration to USA - civil partnership same as marriage for green card?

Your questions are answered in the I-130 instructions at www.uscis.gov.

If you're filing directly to London (DCF), don't send proof of joint life together; otherwise it's all the same as filing to the USA.

Rene
Old Jan 10th 2016, 12:29 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LA2016
Can I ask what backing / additional information you sent off with the form...
Have you also downloaded and read the I-130 instructions? It's a separate form from the I-130. We also have a good Wiki on the subject - in the blue bar at the top of each page.

... am I correct in thinking you have to send your passport...
You don't submit your passport until you're at the interview stage.

Ian
Old Jan 11th 2016, 9:21 am
Just Joined

furrmacist is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LA2016
Hi Furrmacist, many thanks for your comment.
We converted to a marriage just before Xmas - and now I'm starting the I-130.

Can I ask what backing / additional information you sent off with the form, and am I correct in thinking you have to send your passport, and if so, how long were you without it for?

Many thanks

LA2016
Hey!

So, the Alien Spouse checklist, linked from the London Embassy website is here: http://photos.state.gov/libraries/un...for_spouse.pdf

we submitted his US passport, both our UK passports (his as proof of residency) and our Marriage certificate, as well as all the other forms requested etc. It was approved in about 2 weeks.

Furrmacist