Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Immigration lawyer for green card

Immigration lawyer for green card

Old Aug 12th 2019, 2:03 am
Just Joined

Feisty1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Immigration lawyer for green card

Getting married later this year to usa bf then applying for green card. Should we use lawyer to help complete forms and if so, any recommendations who to use. I heard 1 question is to list all my addresses since age 16. As I'm now in my 50s I cant remember them all.
Old Aug 12th 2019, 2:29 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Immigration lawyer for green card

Most people do it themselves, a personal choice, well unless you have any serious issues.
Old Aug 12th 2019, 2:31 am
Just Joined

No issues other than remembering my addreses since aged 16
Old Aug 12th 2019, 2:42 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Feisty1
Getting married later this year to usa bf then applying for green card. Should we use lawyer to help complete forms and if so, any recommendations who to use. I heard 1 question is to list all my addresses since age 16. As I'm now in my 50s I cant remember them all.
I dont think you need to list addresses that far back.

Are you currently in the USA, and if so, what's your status? If not, will you be doing the CR-1 or K-1 visa process?

As Boiler said, you don't really need a lawyer if you have no criminal history or past immigrating issues.

Rene
Old Aug 12th 2019, 2:45 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

No issues other than remembering my addreses since aged 16
That is not one of the requirements.You should look up the rules for the visa you are after- sounds like a CR1
https://www.uscis.gov/greencard/gree...ses-procedures
Old Aug 12th 2019, 2:47 am
Just Joined

Currently in uk going back to usa in November until end January getting married then will begin green card process. I was told that as the green card applicant I would need to provide all my uk addresses since age 16.
Old Aug 12th 2019, 3:18 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Currently in uk going back to usa in November until end January getting married then will begin green card process. I was told that as the green card applicant I would need to provide all my uk addresses since age 16.
Told by whom? Do you already have an immigration attorney? Are you willing to listen to anonymous people on the internet who profess personal experience?
Old Aug 12th 2019, 3:20 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

If you are planning to enter the US to marry a USC and remain in the US to file for adjustment of status then what you are wanting to do is illegal. One cannot have the intent to enter the US to marry and remain. You must return to your own country and apply for the appropriate visa which in your case would the CR-1 which would ultimately result in a green card when you enter the US with the approved visa. Rethink your plans.

And no, you do not need to list all your addresses from age 16.
Old Aug 12th 2019, 3:41 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Currently in uk going back to usa in November until end January getting married then will begin green card process.
This still isn't clear. A lot of people confuse a green card with an immigrant visa. Do you mean you'll come to the USA, get married and then return to the UK to do a spouse immigrant visa? Because you can't legally enter the USA with the intent to marry and apply for a green card directly.

I was told that as the green card applicant I would need to provide all my uk addresses since age 16.
By whom?

Rene
Old Aug 12th 2019, 4:00 am
BE Irregular

Thinking back, you might need to list all your addresses for the police report (ACRO)
Old Aug 12th 2019, 8:15 am
Just Joined

Oh goodness I'm not staying in usa once married why i said I'll be there from November to January. Once we are married we will begin the process for me to obtain a green card as a spouse, all I was asking is should we use a lawyer to assist in the process.
Old Aug 12th 2019, 8:17 am
Just Joined

Thank you Rich that's possibly the answer
Old Aug 12th 2019, 11:48 am

Oh goodness I'm not staying in usa once married why i said I'll be there from November to January. Once we are married we will begin the process for me to obtain a green card as a spouse, all I was asking is should we use a lawyer to assist in the process.
In the immigration world, using the right terms is important. You'll be starting the process for you to obtain an immigrant visa.

Rene
Old Aug 12th 2019, 11:55 am
Just Joined

I thought immigration visa was temporary, once married I plan to move to usa permanently with my usa husband, I thought that was a green card. I'm not remaining in usa once married I'll be returning to uk within 90 days of esta.
Old Aug 12th 2019, 12:58 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, Feisty, but your original post didn't say you were staying in the US temporarily which lead me to believe you were staying in the US. One does not apply for a green card anywhere but while within the US which is accomplished through adjustment of status.

You will be applying for an Immediate Relative Visa (Immigration Visa) which will ultimately give you a green card when you enter the US with the approved visa. Yes, visas are temporary and so is the IR-1/CR-1 immigration visa. Once you enter the US, you become a permanent resident, your passport is stamped with the I-551 which is the paper version of the green card and good for one year while your actual card is being manufactured and sent to you.

If your husband and yourself are uneasy with forms and a bit disorganized and perhaps overanxious, nervous or you have a criminal background or medical issues then by all means retain an immigration attorney to assist you. You can add a few thousand dollars more to the already thousand plus dollars the actual visa will cost you. You will still have to gather all the necessary supporting documentation, i.e. long form UK birth certificate, prior marriage certificates, divorce decrees absolute, ACRO report, etc. and will have to scrutinize all the paperwork the attorney's paralegal will complete before you sign it.

Most people on this forum are DIY'ers. There are hundreds of threads giving advice and real time people offering their personal knowledge. The choice is yours.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.