Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Immigration lawyer for green card

Immigration lawyer for green card

Old Aug 12th 2019, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

Feisty1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Immigration lawyer for green card

Ok thank you for this, however my understanding of adjustment of status was harder to prove as u needed to marry spontaneously when my intention is to get married, this was told to me from the uk american embassy. 1 person says 1 type of visa, 1 says another.
Old Aug 12th 2019, 1:13 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Feisty1
Ok thank you for this, however my understanding of adjustment of status was harder to prove as u needed to marry spontaneously when my intention is to get married, this was told to me from the uk american embassy. 1 person says 1 type of visa, 1 says another.
AOS is not harder to prove. What is harder to prove, if asked, is that the wedding was spontaneous.

There is a glossary of abbreviations of US immigration initials on the wiki if you are interested.

The Immediate Relative - 1 visa (IR-1) is for those whose marriage is OVER two years in length

The Conditional Immediate Relative - 1 visa (CR-1) is for those whose marriage is UNDER two years in length

The difference: After entry to the US with an approved visa, the IR-1 will generate a 10 year green card while the CR-1 will generate a 2 year green card. With the CR-1 2 year green card you will need to file the I-751 90 days before the end of the 2 year period noted on the green card.

PS They are both the same process, forms, documents, supporting evidence, medical etc.

Last edited by Rete; Aug 12th 2019 at 1:28 pm.
Old Aug 12th 2019, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

Feisty1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for clarifying, I think once we are married I'll just download the necessary form from UCSIS site and we will attempt to complete it ourselves. I'll probably look at the form prior to leaving here (uk) in November in case I need to take any other papers. I'll be back in the UK end of January but we can at least get the process moving
Old Aug 12th 2019, 4:13 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

There are several forms that you will be needing in addition to the I-130. I would strongly suggest that you do a search on this forum for CR-1 and read posts on what is required. There are also several steps to the process from the filing of the I-130 by your husband in the US, then approval and movement to the NVC, his affidavit of support to be send there for approval, then finally forwarding to the US Embassy in London, your ACRO, medical, etc. and interview date. Timeframe from start to finish at current timelines is approximately 12 - 18 months.

PS This USCIS website will of assistance for now. https://www.uscis.gov/family/family-...nent-residents

Last edited by Rete; Aug 12th 2019 at 4:21 pm.
Old Aug 21st 2019, 10:37 pm
Just Joined

salachar3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

My wife and I are going through the Spousal Green Card process ourselves right now and are pretty far along. I can answer your two questions.

Regarding needing a lawyer, most of the advice above is good ... if you (the UK citizen) have a clean background, you can do it yourselves (unless the US citizen is a child sex offender, criminal background won't matter). There is nothing "tricky" about the forms or required documents. That said, there is a lot required and you want to be thorough in following the I-130 and I-130A instructions. If anything is not in order, USCIS may send an RFE (request for evidence), and that'll slow things way down. We breathed huge sighs of refief when our I-130 was approved (after 5 months ... not as long as expected).

After this, the case gets transferred to the National Visa Center (NVC). You wait, and then you basically start all over again and submit the exact same information again, plus more, all electronicallly. You complete the DS-260, and this form does require you to list all addresses that you have lived since age 16. Yes it is cumbersome! My wife had 16, I believe. Friends and family can help; don't be discouraged. You can find sample DS-260s online.

My best advice ... be truthful at every step.

Best wishes! I'll be glad to offer advice at any point along the way, though every case is unique.