Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

immigration and divorce

Wikiposts

immigration and divorce

Old Jul 9th 2002, 2:20 pm
Samantha

Default immigration and divorce

Please tell me if I have the correct information...

If I get divorced after my AOS interview has taken place, there is a chance that I
could stay in the US based on proving that my marriage was entered into in good
faith and not for the purpose of a green card. INS still has the right to deport me
in this case.

If this is correct, what are the odds of them allowing me to stay?

What papers need to be filed?

Thanks so much. Samantha

Old Jul 10th 2002, 12:20 am
Andy Platt

Default Re: immigration and divorce

"Samantha" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Please tell me if I have the correct information...
    >
    > If I get divorced after my AOS interview has taken place, there is a
chance
    > that I could stay in the US based on proving that my marriage was entered into in
    > good faith and not for the purpose of a green card. INS still has the right to
    > deport me in this case.

If the marriage had taken place less than two years prior to becoming a permanent
resident then, yes, this is correct (if the marriage was already > 2 years you don't
have any conditions and could get divorced without any questions).

> If this is correct, what are the odds of them allowing me to stay?

The odds are completely dependent on what your situation is and what evidence you can
supply for a valid marriage. For instance, I could see that if you had just been
married a couple of months, had the AOS interview, then separated it wouldn't look
good. But if you had been in a relationship for a while and had been married some
time before things went sour that would be better. Only a few people have posted
about going through this in the newsgroup and, I think, all have been successful.
Search www.deja.com/usenet for other experiences.

> What papers need to be filed?

After you are divorced, you can immediately file the I-751.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

Old Jul 10th 2002, 2:24 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: immigration and divorce

All the information you need is listed on form I-751 downloadable from the INS website.