Immigration with a child

Immigration with a child

Old Jan 10th 2021, 12:08 am
Forum Regular

HalenaBoyd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Immigration with a child

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi Halena,

I moved your thread into the marriage-based forum, where perhaps more people with children have immigrated. You can also try searching on this forum for the topic.

I haven't looked, but does the US Embassy London website (Immigrant Visa section) specify what documents might be needed? How about the immigrant visa application instructions?

If you can't get the father's permission, I know you will need a court order, but I have no idea what the name of such document is. You'll probably need to get a lawyer involved.

Rene
Hi Noorah101 👋

Thank you for replying and moving my post. I've searched everywhere and it doesn't mention it when I look at the US Embassy website or the UCIS either. Single mothers must emigrate with their children from a previous relationship often I would have thought? Just surprises me there isn't more information out there. I think I'll need a specific issue court order and a child arrangement order which specifies I am responsible for all decisions relating to the child (I guess the closest thing to soul custody) I'll definitely need legal advice, probably best to do it soon as I plan to marry next year! Thanks 😊
Old Jan 10th 2021, 1:44 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

I suggest you consult with a solicitor who does know what is necessary. If they don’t know she should be willing to find out.

Both the US and the UK are parties to The Hague Convention on International Child Abduction. (If you are curious, Google “Elizabeth Morgan” That case is controversial to this day. But I digress)

A suitable arrangement order might do the trick. Do get that legal consultation.

It might be easier than you think to locate dad and get that consent. I suggest that this be done through a third party.
Old Jan 10th 2021, 2:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

This is not a DIY situation and yes you need a competent Family Lawyer.

From what you have said sounds like you should be able to get a suitable Court Order.

Which visa are you looking at? How old is the child?

Old Jan 10th 2021, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boiler
This is not a DIY situation and yes you need a competent Family Lawyer.

From what you have said sounds like you should be able to get a suitable Court Order.

Which visa are you looking at? How old is the child?
Hey it would be a spousal visa for me. Can my husband-to-be petition for my daughter too? Or would I need to petition for her if my visa is approved? My daughter is 11 years old.
Old Jan 10th 2021, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
I suggest you consult with a solicitor who does know what is necessary. If they don’t know she should be willing to find out.

Both the US and the UK are parties to The Hague Convention on International Child Abduction. (If you are curious, Google “Elizabeth Morgan” That case is controversial to this day. But I digress)

A suitable arrangement order might do the trick. Do get that legal consultation.

It might be easier than you think to locate dad and get that consent. I suggest that this be done through a third party.
Thanks for the info. Yeah I knew about the Hague Convention but wasn't sure if the only time the child could be deported would be if the other parent went to court after the child had been taken. It looks like I wouldn't even be able to leave the UK with her permanently anyway so I could never be accused of child abduction?

Yes I will certainly be getting some legal advice ASAP!

Thanks
Old Jan 10th 2021, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

Also I couldn't ever locate him and get his permission. He would stop me out of spite and make my life hell if he could. There's a history of violence so he wouldn't willingly oblige even if my daughter begged him.
Old Jan 10th 2021, 2:27 pm
Account Closed

Actually ASAP is not needed. I would say otherwise if it was a more contentious situation but on the basis of what you said it is getting the paper side of things sorted.

So You are looking at moving 2023/4 with that time line, she will be about 14.

Your then husband would sponsor you and her, basically he can sponsor her as a step child, she is young enough.
Old Jan 10th 2021, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

Actually ASAP is not needed. I would say otherwise if it was a more contentious situation but on the basis of what you said it is getting the paper side of things sorted.

So You are looking at moving 2023/4 with that time line, she will be about 14.

Your then husband would sponsor you and her, basically he can sponsor her as a step child, she is young enough.
Yeah I would try and sort the arrangement order within the next year or so to avoid it getting too close to the time I'd like to leave. Yes she will be about 14 if I am able to marry him this year or next year plus I would need to get my affairs in order so 14 sounds accurate. I would certainly start the process way before she is 18 years old.
Old Jan 10th 2021, 2:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HalenaBoyd
Thanks for the info. Yeah I knew about the Hague Convention but wasn't sure if the only time the child could be deported would be if the other parent went to court after the child had been taken. It looks like I wouldn't even be able to leave the UK with her permanently anyway so I could never be accused of child abduction?

Yes I will certainly be getting some legal advice ASAP!

Thanks
Also I couldn't ever locate him and get his permission. He would stop me out of spite and make my life hell if he could. There's a history of violence so he wouldn't willingly oblige even if my daughter begged him.

I don’t understand, given what you have already said about violence, why you think there is no possibility of your daughter leaving the UK? AFAIK you have to show the court that you have tried to locate your ex. ie ad in newspapers. Then it is up to the court. Even if you locate him and he refuses, you can still take this to court.

Old Jan 10th 2021, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I don’t understand, given what you have already said about violence, why you think there is no possibility of your daughter leaving the UK? AFAIK you have to show the court that you have tried to locate your ex. ie ad in newspapers. Then it is up to the court. Even if you locate him and he refuses, you can still take this to court.
Sorry I meant it looks like I wouldn't be able to just leave without sorting this element first so I couldn't be accused of child abduction after the fact. Sorry to confuse.
Old Jan 10th 2021, 2:40 pm
Account Closed

Yeah I would try and sort the arrangement order within the next year or so to avoid it getting too close to the time I'd like to leave. Yes she will be about 14 if I am able to marry him this year or next year plus I would need to get my affairs in order so 14 sounds accurate. I would certainly start the process way before she is 18 years old.
There is the schooling issue and by the time she is 18 she may ell have other oides anyway.
Old Jan 10th 2021, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

There is the schooling issue and by the time she is 18 she may ell have other oides anyway.
Indeed this is all going to take time! When I visit next time I'll look into schools more thoroughly but for now I'll need to make sure I can legally take her. Yes if she is 16-18 and doesn't want to come with me then this will be another decision altogether.
Old Jan 10th 2021, 4:03 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Hey it would be a spousal visa for me. Can my husband-to-be petition for my daughter too? Or would I need to petition for her if my visa is approved? My daughter is 11 years old.
Step-children are included in the immigration definition of “child” provided the underlying marriage takes place before the child turns 18. (Note 18 refers to creation of the parent-child relationship. The relationship itself is unmarried, under 21).

A quirk in US immigration law is that children (including step-children) are NOT included in the relatives entitled to “accompany or follow to join.” Hence, she will need a separate I-130 by her step-father. (This is a mistake baby immigration lawyers often make, but only once). As a further quirk, the K-1/2 fiancé visas DO allow for accompany or follow to join. (This comes in handy when the child is between 18 and 21 years of age).
Old Jan 10th 2021, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

Step-children are included in the immigration definition of “child” provided the underlying marriage takes place before the child turns 18. (Note 18 refers to creation of the parent-child relationship. The relationship itself is unmarried, under 21).

A quirk in US immigration law is that children (including step-children) are NOT included in the relatives entitled to “accompany or follow to join.” Hence, she will need a separate I-130 by her step-father. (This is a mistake baby immigration lawyers often make, but only once). As a further quirk, the K-1/2 fiancé visas DO allow for accompany or follow to join. (This comes in handy when the child is between 18 and 21 years of age).
Thank you for the information. Yes we wouldn't do the K1 Visa as I don't plan to move there as soon as we marry. I plan to marry him on a ESTA visa then come home and gradually sort everything.
Old Jan 10th 2021, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

I have just read that from the age of 16 my daughter can legally come with me according to UK law. If I don't go through the costly process of court I may have to wait another 5 years I guess!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.