Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

immigrant visa to the usa from uk: HELP!

immigrant visa to the usa from uk: HELP!

Old Jun 13th 2018, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

jannison134 is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face immigrant visa to the usa from uk: HELP!

Hi guys and girls.
So quick overview: Im british, husbands american. in military and based in england until aug
when we are due to pcs to italy for 4 years, after that we will be moved to the US.
so i have plenty of time to sort my visa out.
Heres my thing:
My husband sent the petition form i-130 and paid the fees.
Its been approved, he recieved a letter, then i recieved a letter. We have recieved NO LETTER
from the nvc as of yet.
The letter that the london embassy sent me contained a website link to make the online application
for the visa then to schedule my med exam and interview.
Keeping up?
So i was trying to find out about this whole NVC thing, i think my case us being processed BY
london embassy so does that mean the nvc is not involved and therefore no fees need to be made to them?
If anyone could please enlighten me i'd appreciate it dearly.
Thanks!
joanna.
Old Jun 13th 2018, 1:04 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: immigrant visa to the usa from uk: HELP!

Why in heaven's name have you started the process for a spousal visa (IR-1) for the US NOW? You aren't going to be going to the US for another 4 years. The visa must be used within six months from the date of your medical, not the date of your interview. While you can use the visa to enter the US once you are approved and have received it by entering the US and leaving for another few months, you need to have established a bona fide US residence within a reasonable time frame or your permanent residency status is considered abandoned.

So you did direct consular filing with the US Embassy in London. The NVC is not involved. You will only have contact through and with the US Embassy.

No fee to the NVC but plenty of fees to the US Embassy for the visa, fees for the courier, fees for the medical exam, fees for the police certificate, etc.

Last edited by Rete; Jun 13th 2018 at 1:06 pm.
Old Jun 13th 2018, 1:10 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

This is the link from the start of this page (top on the left) for you to read regarding the process known here as DCF

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/DCF_I...iled_In_London_
Old Jun 13th 2018, 1:30 pm
Just Joined

jannison134 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the help.
we will be visiting the us several times before our relocation there, and my husband has a residency in the us also.
i also applied for the visa before knowing we were pcsing to italy as we were initially due to go stateside until i fell pregnant and our orders were changed.
thanks.
Old Jun 13th 2018, 2:32 pm
Concierge

Your husband may have a home or an apartment in the US but he is not resident in the US and neither will you be. I would suggest that you contact JAG or an immigration lawyer to see if after you have been approved and received the visa and 'activated' by entering the US with your husband, you cannot enter alone unless he is stationed back in the US already, or he accompanies on the transport, there is some regulation that applies to spouses of members of the military which might help you preserve your green card/permanent residency status while you are in Italy.