Reload this Page >

Immigrant visa issued - US London Embassy contact needed

Immigrant visa issued - US London Embassy contact needed

Old Jul 28th 2017, 9:12 am
Just Joined

keane16 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Immigrant visa issued - US London Embassy contact needed

Hi

We have been issued my IR1 visa for immigration to the USA and plan to go in the next 10 days.

Big problem - my wife accidently opened the document pack!!!!!! Trying to speak to somebody at the USA embassy is virtually impossible. I'm hoping I can go back and they will reseal the envelope quite soon. I obviously don't want to reseal the pack as although the tape/seal is in tact it will look pretty dodgy and could result in us being turned away at border control.

Anyone any advise on this? Or know any direct numbers into the Embassy.

We are so distraught!!!!
Old Jul 28th 2017, 11:11 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigrant visa issued - US London Embassy contact needed

Why did she open it? It says in HUGE letters that it's not be opened.

The immigrant visa unit does not take phone calls, only emails. Have you emailed?
Old Jul 28th 2017, 12:05 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Use the "contact us" page on the embassy website and wait for their direction.

They will probably want the package back so they can inspect it, then reseal it, then send it back out to you.

Be prepared not to make your 10- day window.

Rene
Old Jul 28th 2017, 12:09 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keane16
Big problem - my wife accidently opened the document pack!
Not only is it a big problem, it might be an insurmountable problem when you arrive in the US. The CBP officers will think, whether true or not, that you have deliberately tampered with the information contained in the envelope and will likely not admit you to the US. They could also bar you from re-entering on the reasonable assumption that you interfered with the process.

While sometimes the envelope has been damaged in transit (that doesn't happen often, but it does happen), I've never heard of anyone opening the sealed envelope which clearly says not to open.

My advice: do not travel with an open envelope! Get it fixed first... even if that means delaying your trip.

Ian
Old Jul 28th 2017, 6:52 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your notes - we had already made the decision not to travel. I have sent the consulate an email this morning but haven't heard back yet (I know it can take upto 5 days). I need to be in the London area Tuesday AM for a meeting -- so my plan is to go to the Embassy Monday afternoon and see if I can talk to somebody in person. Let's see what happens!!
Old Jul 28th 2017, 7:54 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your notes - we had already made the decision not to travel. I have sent the consulate an email this morning but haven't heard back yet (I know it can take upto 5 days). I need to be in the London area Tuesday AM for a meeting -- so my plan is to go to the Embassy Monday afternoon and see if I can talk to somebody in person. Let's see what happens!!
Good luck. You are not the first person on this forum to have done this (your wife that is) or to have had it damaged by water or lost or even stolen.

Thankfully you have the envelope and its contents so it can be rectified.

It is when it is lost or stolen that a really huge problem occurs. There are no documents left at the US Consulate to replicate the contents of the brown envelope. It is each and every document that you have submitted, along with all the notes written by the various officers or USCIS agents. This is the reason why I also tell people make a copy of each and every thing you submit. You never, ever know when you will need those copies.
Old Aug 18th 2017, 5:16 pm
Just Joined

Hi, just to let you all know this was sorted at the US embassy in London. A few difficult questions asked - but sorted there and then. Phew!!!
Old Aug 18th 2017, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, just to let you all know this was sorted at the US embassy in London. A few difficult questions asked - but sorted there and then. Phew!!!
Glad you were able to resolve it.

To help anyone else who may find themselves in this situation, did you just turn up or make an appointment?