Immigrant Visa interview

Immigrant Visa interview

Old Jul 11th 2016, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

joannon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Immigrant Visa interview

Hello,

Hope everyone is doing ok!

My husband has his Interview at the USA embassy in London for his Immigrant Visa (I am a US citizen with indefinite leave to remain in the UK).

Since starting the process I got pregnant and haven't updated the Embassy as I was under the impression that I would be able to go and register my child as a USA citizen as I am one and therefore this would not have an affect on my husbands Visa, this is what I have read and now I am panicking that maybe the baby should have been added onto the paperwork at some point...

Can anyone advise on this?

Also am I required to attend the interview with my husband or is it just him as there has been no mention in the correspondence that we have received that I am needed to attend.

Any help appreciated as always!

Thanks,
Rhi
Old Jul 11th 2016, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

Jackie3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Immigrant Visa interview

Originally Posted by joannon
Hello,

Hope everyone is doing ok!

My husband has his Interview at the USA embassy in London for his Immigrant Visa (I am a US citizen with indefinite leave to remain in the UK).

Since starting the process I got pregnant and haven't updated the Embassy as I was under the impression that I would be able to go and register my child as a USA citizen as I am one and therefore this would not have an affect on my husbands Visa, this is what I have read and now I am panicking that maybe the baby should have been added onto the paperwork at some point...

Can anyone advise on this?

Also am I required to attend the interview with my husband or is it just him as there has been no mention in the correspondence that we have received that I am needed to attend.

Any help appreciated as always!

Thanks,
Rhi
Congratulations on the baby!

In terms of registering the birth, you can apply for a consulate report of birth abroad- (if you are eligible to pass on citizenship) if you go on the U.S. Embassy website it's really straightforward, and tells you the criteria for passing on citizenship as well as the forms for applying and what supporting evidence you need.
(We just did our 3rd baby's report of birth abroad/passport in London last month) 😀

I do not know if you needed to update your husbands application regarding adding the birth, maybe someone can answer for sure, but the only time I recall my husband having to write anything about the children was maybe on the first set of forms in the biographical data.

In terms of accompanying him to the interview, you are not required to go, and in fact if you want to attend you must complete a request online to be allowed in the consulate. (There were several spouses there when we went last week who were not allowed in as they had just shown up on the day)

Hope that helps a bit!
Old Jul 11th 2016, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

The baby makes no difference to the application, so nothing needs to be done at all. You will register the birth and your child will have dual nationality, being born in the UK of a USC mother.

You are not required to be at your husband's interview, but you can if you really want. You just need to let them know in advance. Personally, I wouldn't bother.
Old Jul 11th 2016, 8:40 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing that would change is the number of household members on the I-864, and that is if the baby is born before his interview date.

Rene
Old Jul 12th 2016, 1:28 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Jackie, this has certainly put my mind at ease! appreciate the reply!
Old Jul 12th 2016, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

Hi Guindalf,

Hopefully the baby WONT be born on Friday, not due for a couple of weeks! Thanks for replying!
Old Jul 12th 2016, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

Btw have you looked into getting UK citizenship before you leave? It only took my hubby 2 months recently.

ILR expires after 2 years living outside the UK and the post-July 2012 UK immigration rules for spouses are pretty harsh.

Nice for all the family to have the same citizenships and your hubby can get US citizenship after 3 years in America on a 'green card.'
Old Jul 12th 2016, 4:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by LondonSquirrel
Btw have you looked into getting UK citizenship before you leave? It only took my hubby 2 months recently.

ILR expires after 2 years living outside the UK and the post-July 2012 UK immigration rules for spouses are pretty harsh.

Nice for all the family to have the same citizenships and your hubby can get US citizenship after 3 years in America on a 'green card.'

thanks so much for this! didnt even cross my mind but i will defo look into getting that sorted before I leave!
Old Jul 12th 2016, 4:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joannon
thanks so much for this! didnt even cross my mind but i will defo look into getting that sorted before I leave!

Good luck! I don't think you have to intend to make the UK your permanent home if you are married to a Brit.

I'd hate my kids to have a citizenship I didn't have and go to live in a country where I couldn't live. Not a nice thought, but if you split with your spouse, the kids moved back to UK as adults, but you no longer have any way to move back too. Kids can't sponsor their parents in the UK unlike the US. And even if still married to a Brit, who knows how much harsher they could make the visa process in the future?