Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Immigrant Visa/DCF info if possible..

Wikiposts

Immigrant Visa/DCF info if possible..

Old Jun 26th 2010, 10:00 am
Just Joined

stress_head is just really nicestress_head is just really nicestress_head is just really nicestress_head is just really nicestress_head is just really nicestress_head is just really nicestress_head is just really nicestress_head is just really nice
Default Immigrant Visa/DCF info if possible..

First of all ide like to say hi, been some great advice on here..bit of back ground first..we have been married for 8yrs my wife is American im British..

We filed a i130 ourselfs and have just recieved the confirmation to start the next stage..

most seems straight forward, just forms and what not, the main headache is the I-864 Affidavit of Support requirements..my wife has not work hence has no savings etc, her parents have offered to joint sponsor, we are also going to be living with them in the first month or so..

Will the fact we have no savings (until we sell the house) cause any problems??

We have a 3yo child and expecting another in Jan, we will file for birth and passports etc for the 2 of them together, will just mean more 4hr trips to London....

She is going to file tax returns soon to get that out of the way, she has opened up bank accounts in the states and contacted schools etc..

As i understan it as soon as i arrive with a visa i can work with the stamp i will get untill the "real" green card arrives..

Anything else i should be looking in to??

Sorry its been a bit long winded...thanks in advance for your time and help..

Phil
Old Jun 26th 2010, 10:11 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K-1 info if possible..

Hi, it looks like you have done a lot of homework already!

The only correction I'd have to make is that it's an Immigrant Visa you'll be applying for, not a K-1. I'm correcting your subject line to make that clear to others.

If you follow the link at the bottom of my post, it will take you to a wiki entry that will answer many of your questions, including those about the I-864.

My only other recommendation would be for you to start surfing the USA & Trailer Park forums for tips on making the move.. things you can/should do in the UK before leaving.
One of those might be having your wife get her UK citizenship before she leaves, in case anyone wants to go back the other direction one day.

Hang around, there are lots of others at right about the same stage as you!