Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Immigrant family based visa - Moving after aproval question

Wikiposts

Immigrant family based visa - Moving after aproval question

Old Jan 6th 2017, 6:17 am
Just Joined

mb2016 has much to be proud ofmb2016 has much to be proud ofmb2016 has much to be proud ofmb2016 has much to be proud ofmb2016 has much to be proud ofmb2016 has much to be proud ofmb2016 has much to be proud ofmb2016 has much to be proud ofmb2016 has much to be proud ofmb2016 has much to be proud ofmb2016 has much to be proud of
Default Immigrant family based visa - Moving after aproval question

Hello!

We intend to move to the states this year and at the end of the month we will begin the immigrant visa application from London for my husband. I have not been able to find this information elsewhere, so please excuse me if I've missed it somewhere.... Once the visa is approved and issued, assuming there is a 6 month time window to move to the states do I, the american citizen, have to move with him at the same time to go through customs together or can he come after me, alone, at a later date? The reason why I ask is because we will initially be moving without jobs lined up and staying with family. It might be better for me to move beforehand and secure the job, apartment or house for an easier transition and to be less of a burden on family while at the same time my husband is still earning on this side and saving.

Thanks in advance for any answers!
Old Jan 6th 2017, 6:19 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Immigrant family based visa - Moving after aproval question

You going first is fine, him going first would be another issue.
Old Jan 6th 2017, 6:23 am
Just Joined

mb2016 has much to be proud ofmb2016 has much to be proud ofmb2016 has much to be proud ofmb2016 has much to be proud ofmb2016 has much to be proud ofmb2016 has much to be proud ofmb2016 has much to be proud ofmb2016 has much to be proud ofmb2016 has much to be proud ofmb2016 has much to be proud ofmb2016 has much to be proud of

Wow, that was fast! Many thanks for responding to my query.
Old Jan 6th 2017, 6:23 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
... him going first would be another issue.
"another issue" as in "not possible".

You have to be physically present in the US when he first enters the US on his immigrant visa. You can either enter the US with him or already be in the US.
Old Jan 6th 2017, 8:13 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mb2016
... can he come after me, alone, at a later date?
Yes. To expand a bit on md95065's post, it's not so much a visa issue as a financial support issue. The USC sponsor (you) must be in the US when the I-864 (Affidavit of Support) comes to term... and it does that the moment your husband enters the US with his immigrant visa. So, you must already be in the US, or accompany him to the US.

Ian