to come here. or 3) when we get married and file BCIS papers for her
to stay. Anyone know this answer?

For info on me as I am joining the board: I have russian fiance and
we are just about to file our I129F at texas center, so our long
waiting period begins very soon! But they say good things come
to those who wait

Old Dec 8th 2003, 8:06 am
foxy little minx

bequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: I'm new to board and When does the K2 visa 1 year time period start

Originally posted by Tom P
I am trying to find out something about K2 visas. I know that when my fiancee gets her K1 visa, it is valid for a six month period for her to travel one time to U.S. for a three month period so we can get married. I am wondering when the K2 timeclock starts for bringing her children here? Her kids will stay with the grandmother in Russia for a while, while we get settled in here before they come, but we want to know when does the 1 year timeclock for bringing her kids her start:

either
1) when her K1 visa is issued. or
2) when she uses her K1 visa to come here. or
3) when we get married and file BCIS papers for her to stay. Anyone know this answer?

For info on me as I am joining the board: I have russian fiance and we are just about to file our I129F at texas center, so our long waiting period begins very soon! But they say good things come to those who wait
Hi Tom and welcome!

I think that 1-year-period for a k2 visa starts running from the moment your fiancee's k1 petition is approved and sent to the consulate, until you get the k2 children an appointment at the consulate to get their own visa...

I believe things work this way (but I will be much happier if a lawyer clears this up):

1- You must include the children in your fiancee's petition, from the very start, so they know all of them will be going to the states with you.

2- When it gets approved, only your fiancee goes to the consulate for the interview and gets her k1 visa -do not bring the kids if you're not planning on them coming over in the next 6 months-.

3- She goes to the USA with you, gets married, etc...

4- When you're ready for the children to come over, contact the consulate and schedule an appointment for the kids' k2 visa.
Once it's granted it's good for 6 months.
*Don't let more than a year go by between steps 2 and 4.*

My personal experience was: I believed my daughter's k2 visa would be good for a year after being granted, yet this isn't so.
Once it's granted it's good for 6 months, just like the k1, and there's no re-issuing of a k2 visa and there's no chance to ask for an extension... so be careful planing your dates.
Old Dec 8th 2003, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

dutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond repute

I am trying to find out something about K2 visas. I know that when my
fiancee gets her K1 visa, it is valid for a six month period for her
to travel one time to U.S. for a three month period so we can get
married. I am wondering when the K2 timeclock starts for bringing her
children here? Her kids will stay with the grandmother in Russia for a
while, while we get settled in here before they come, but we want to
know when does the 1 year timeclock for bringing her kids her start:
either 1) when her K1 visa is issued. or 2) when she uses her K1 visa

to those who wait

Welcome to the NG, Tom....
Old Dec 8th 2003, 8:29 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Tom,

The K2 visa must be issued within 1 year from the date that the K1 was issued. Once issued, the K2 is valid for 6 months.

(This from the guy who told Bequi that a K2 was valid for 1 year, so read my signature line and don't ever forget it.)

Regards, JEff

to those who wait
Old Dec 8th 2003, 8:33 am
foxy little minx

bequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by jeffreyhy
Tom,

The K2 visa must be issued within 1 year from the date that the K1 was issued. Once issued, the K2 is valid for 6 months.

(This from the guy who told Bequi that a K2 was valid for 1 year, so read my signature line and don't ever forget it.)

Regards, JEff
LOL Jeff

So let me get this cleared up:
from the moment the k1 is issued at the consulate/embassy?
or
from the moment the k1 is approved at the service center?
Old Dec 8th 2003, 8:55 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bequibar
Hi Tom and welcome!

II believe things work this way (but I will be much happier if a lawyer clears this up):

A K-1 is NOT approved at the service center. The I-129F is. The K-1 is Consulate issued.

Perhaps you might want to retain or at least pay for a consultation with an immigration attorney to put your mind at ease. A cost of $100 to $200 for a one time visit is a small price to pay for a good night's rest.

Rete
Old Dec 8th 2003, 9:10 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

to those who wait

WELCOME TO OUR SECOND HOME!
Old Dec 8th 2003, 11:09 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

bequi (and others),

K1 is a visa, and visas are not approved at CIS service centers.

An I-129f petition, which is approved at CIS service centers, is not the same thing as a K1 (or K3) visa.

Regards, JEff

LOL Jeff

So let me get this cleared up:
from the moment the k1 is issued at the consulate/embassy?
or
from the moment the k1 is approved at the service center?
Old Dec 8th 2003, 1:56 pm
Tom P

I found a state department website that says the you can get a K2 visa
within 1 year of K1, but I hope you are right about the 6 months after
K2 is issued. Actually, this makes sense because a K1 is valid for 6
months. Amazing how when you go through all this beaurocratic stuff,
that it all starts to make some sense in a strange way! Like cleaning
bowling balls in your clothes washer!

Old Dec 8th 2003, 2:43 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

An I-129f petition, which is approved at CIS service centers, is not the same thing as a K1 (or K3) visa.
Ahhh, my daily fix. I can rest easy tonight
best,
mo
Old Dec 9th 2003, 3:34 am
foxy little minx

Originally posted by Rete
A K-1 is NOT approved at the service center. The I-129F is. The K-1 is Consulate issued.

Perhaps you might want to retain or at least pay for a consultation with an immigration attorney to put your mind at ease. A cost of $100 to $200 for a one time visit is a small price to pay for a good night's rest.

Rete

bequi (and others),

K1 is a visa, and visas are not approved at CIS service centers.

Regards, JEff

Yes well I meant it as "petition" not as "visa"... I am very aware the "visa" is not approved by the service center.

I was asking from when does the one year start counting, but from these answers I'll infer it's from the issuing of the k1 visa at the consulate.
Old Dec 9th 2003, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

Epitomee2000 is a name known to allEpitomee2000 is a name known to allEpitomee2000 is a name known to allEpitomee2000 is a name known to allEpitomee2000 is a name known to allEpitomee2000 is a name known to allEpitomee2000 is a name known to allEpitomee2000 is a name known to allEpitomee2000 is a name known to allEpitomee2000 is a name known to allEpitomee2000 is a name known to all

Yes well I meant it as "petition" not as "visa"... I am very aware the "visa" is not approved by the service center.

I was asking from when does the one year start counting, but from these answers I'll infer it's from the issuing of the k1 visa at the consulate.

I am so glad that you asked the question. I was wondering when I should begin the process of applying for my stepson's K2 visa and I believe that February will be a good month to start. I have until September which is the date that my fiance (now husband's) K-1 was issued.