Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Im going to cry! Change of Status, USCIS

Wikiposts

Im going to cry! Change of Status, USCIS

Old Jan 24th 2009, 11:24 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Im going to cry! Change of Status, USCIS

Originally Posted by mrgavmc
Can I talk to the other moderator please, she's much more pleasent.
Are you being serious? That's one of the most ridiculous things I think I've ever read on these forums. Why would you think that any of the moderators be at your beck and call?!?

I thought this was the idea of the forum?
No, having your own personal researcher(s) is NOT the purpose of this forum. This forum like a study group. Everyone works together and shares notes, but that doesn't mean that the new guy doesn't have to do any homework, especially his own. It's one thing to look for guidance, it's quite another to expect others -- strangers to you, no less -- to do your work for you. Not only is it rude, but you are actually doing yourself a massive disservice by not learning how to be self-reliant. Plus, there is a reason that a search feature exists on this site.

In the meantime I hope to be rich and afford people to do it for me.
That's great. But at the moment you're not in such a position, so it's in your best interest not to alienate people by treating them like they're your servants.

~ Jenney

Last edited by Just Jenney; Jan 24th 2009 at 11:52 am. Reason: Typo schmypo
Old Jan 24th 2009, 11:38 am
Just Joined

mrgavmc is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
Are you being serious? That's one of the most ridiculous things I think I've ever read on these forums. Why would you think that any of the moderators be at your beck and call?!?

No, having your own personal researcher(s) is NOT the purpose of this forum. This of this forum like a study group. Everyone works together and shares notes, but that doesn't mean that the new guy doesn't have to do any homework, especially his own. It's one thing to look for guidance, it's quite another to expect others -- strangers to you, no less -- to do your work for you. Not only is it rude, but you are actually doing yourself a massive disservice by not learning how to be self-reliant. Plus, there is a reason that a search feature exists on this site.

That's great. But at the moment you're not in such a position, so it's in your best interest not to alienate people by treating them like they're your servants.

~ Jenney
Sorry I offended you too! Just needed a little help.
I thought one modearators tone was more pleasent that all and still do.
I didnt see it was rude to ask for help at all, just dont reply if you dont want to help. Its rude of you just to post something negative to me.
I have done everything so far by myself, I am trying to be self reliant.
I have already done all mentioned above, just wanted to swap notes I had done right thing. I have done vaccination check, have W2's, Affodavits, Social Security Number etc.
Just paranoid I did the wrong thing and looked for a little reassurance that I wasnt going to be rejected because of something I did.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 12:00 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

I didnt see it was rude to ask for help at all, just dont reply if you dont want to help. Its rude of you just to post something negative to me.
I am helping you: I'm telling you that your sense of entitlement doesn't fly here.

You asked for a link to something. Meauxna provided the link but also NICELY asked you "to please get familiar with searching; you are going to need it in the future." Your response? "Why? When you did it!" When Meauxna then replied that it would be the last time she'd look something up for you, you asked to speak with the other moderator (Rene) because "she's much more pleasent."

Looking a gift horse in the mouth... Biting the hand that feeds you... Whatever idiom you want to use, it was rude. You owe Meauxna an apology.

~ Jenney
Old Jan 24th 2009, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
I am helping you: I'm telling you that your sense of entitlement doesn't fly here.

You asked for a link to something. Meauxna provided the link but also NICELY asked you "to please get familiar with searching; you are going to need it in the future." Your response? "Why? When you did it!" When Meauxna then replied that it would be the last time she'd look something up for you, you asked to speak with the other moderator (Rene) because "she's much more pleasent."

Looking a gift horse in the mouth... Biting the hand that feeds you... Whatever idiom you want to use, it was rude. You owe Meauxna an apology.

~ Jenney
I apologise to anyone I have offended.
It was only a joke thats gone way too far,
I apprecite the help.
Im sorry, it seemed patronising to me to be told to get familiar with researching it, your also patronising telling me to be more self reliant.
Are you trying to tell me off?
google it? I had, along with everything else, 2 weeks is a long time frame for getting irs trascripts. I wondered if they were actually necessary for more than just the last tax year thats all, check I hadnt missed something.
Sorry if I come accross as aragant, thats not the case, its a trait I hate.
Sorry to all

Gav
Old Jan 24th 2009, 2:30 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Oops, I'm sorry I caused such a stir on this thread.

Gav, We all have different styles here. We DO encourage you to do your own searching, some people encourage it more than others (I'm guilty of spoon-feeding, I admit it). We are mostly just a bunch of laymen sharing information, and it's difficult for a newbie to know where to start...but now that you know, Google is always your friend, and so are we.

And now back to our regularly scheduled immigration topics...LOL

Rene
Old Jan 24th 2009, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101

Gav, We all have different styles here. We DO encourage you to do your own searching, some people encourage it more than others (I'm guilty of spoon-feeding, I admit it). We are mostly just a bunch of laymen sharing information, and it's difficult for a newbie to know where to start...but now that you know, Google is always your friend, and so are we.

Rene

Sounds good to me!

I promise not to ask anything else unless really stuck.
take care and thanks to those that helped me.

Gav
Old Jan 24th 2009, 5:26 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

2 weeks is a long time frame for getting irs trascripts.
Two weeks may seem like a long time because you're in a rush to get things straightened out, but that's how long it takes. In the grand scheme of things, 2 weeks is nothing when you're dealing with immigration. Whether you respond tomorrow or a month from now, processing your case will likely take exactly the same amount of time.

As for the RFE, don't send anything other than what they want. You will only confuse them if you send stuff they didn't ask for.

Ian
Old Jan 24th 2009, 11:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond repute

2 weeks is a long time frame for getting irs trascripts.
In practice, the IRS seems to be a lot quicker than 2 weeks with tax transcripts. However,as Ian points out, you're going to be in the system for a long (long) time. My journey started in 2003 (pre-K-1) and 'completed' (US Citizenship) just last November 2008 - and that's quick compared to others. There are a lot of (bureaucratic) things that are very efficient in the States and there are many things that are or appear to be very slow.... Immigration is one of them..... I have found the USCIS (was INS when I started) immigration staff to be generally polite and helpful if you treat them that way too. The staff also have the power of your future in their hands. That's why a humble approach tends to work. I believe (but in fear of being shot down!) that the same approach tends to work on this forum.
Immigration is an extremely stressful situation for all involved and we see a lot of people in very difficult situations (including deportation for mistakes not of their own making). Your situation is probably easily remedied and like the bad 'plane journey will be forgotten in time.
Try this one and weep for others in more dire straits:
http://www.democracynow.org/2008/8/1..._detainee_dies
Old Jan 25th 2009, 4:48 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101

Rene
Well face it, you are more pleasant than me.
Not that it takes a rocket surgeon to figure that out.

However, he hasn't yet met the THIRD moderator....

And I think you will need to (tm) that one, Rene.. 'Google is always your friend, and so are we' belongs on a t-shirt!
Old Jan 25th 2009, 7:24 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I offended you too! Just needed a little help.
I thought one modearators tone was more pleasent that all and still do.
I have done everything so far by myself, I am trying to be self reliant.
I have already done all mentioned above, just wanted to swap notes I had done right thing. I have done vaccination check, have W2's, Affodavits, Social Security Number etc.
Just paranoid I did the wrong thing and looked for a little reassurance that I wasnt going to be rejected because of something I did.

Hi, I'm the third moderator and worse, I am a "supper" moderator LOL

FTR, Moderators are chosen by administration to moderate forums not because of their knowledge and willingness to share it nor their ability to do so repetitively without getting snarky a time or two. That is not what moderators "do". There are many non-moderators here that are just as helpful or more so. Anyone who has filed a petition successfully and received their green card and some their citizenship who offer advice on the forum, is sharing their experience. They learned by trial and error and have learned to negotiate the web and its secret passways through the websites of www.uscis.gov; www.ssa.gov; www.irs.gov There is also the wiki which is part and parcel of the BE site. Read it, research through the archives, and if answers are found that are confusing, ask away. The forum was not started in 1989 to handfeed people but to offer advice, a shoulder to lean on and to impart our experiences. If anyone needs line by line help in completing an application, consult and hire an immigration attorney.

As for you, the Affidavit (note the spelling please) must be done by the US Citizen spouse regardless of their ability to provide financial sponsor or not. If they can't, then a co-sponsor is required so there will be two I-864 Affidavits of Support submitted, one from the USC and one from the co-sponsor.

You will be dealing with USCIS for your EAD, your AP, your green card, your removal of conditions and one day perhaps naturalization. You have more forms to complete than you can remotely imagine. Avail yourself of our knowledge but try not to alienate yourself from the good people who frequently answer cries for help.

BTW welcome to BE and may you have success with your petitions.

Last edited by Rete; Jan 25th 2009 at 7:26 am.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 10:26 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
The forum was not started in 1989 to handfeed people...
Boy, oh boy... I have *got* to agree with this statement - especially the first part!

Ian
Old Jan 25th 2009, 10:32 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

f,

To repeat - there are many 1099s used to report many kinds of income. Not limited to income from self-employment.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by forts
1099s are self-employed income statements that don't have tax withholdings at all AFAIK (i.e. if you worked as an independent contractor.)