Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

If we had it to do over again.....SSN

Wikiposts

If we had it to do over again.....SSN

Old Mar 29th 2004, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If we had it to do over again.....SSN

according to the Georgia DMV homepage today...

"For those in the country legally but without a social security number, you need to obtain a Form SSAL676 from a local Social Security Administration office before visiting a DMVS customer service center to apply for a driver’s license. The SSA will begin issuing these forms on June 16th. After obtaining the form, the individual may bring it to any Customer Service Center on or after July 1st and begin the driver’s license application process. The individual must have the necessary documentation including a valid passport or valid I-94 permit, proof of Georgia residency and must surrender a foreign driver's license (if applicable)."

Again... you don't need a SSN in Georgia to get a drivers license.

Originally posted by Steffi
I wasn't properly informed about the whole SS# ordeal myself, so according to my own personal logic I thought that I wasn't even allowed to apply for my SS# until I was married (because, after all, my status is to get married! So what if I were to apply for my SS#, get it and never get married?? Again, just my personal logic though). So I applied for my SS# after I got married and it would have never even occured to me that I may have run into problems. Thankfully I received my SS card after about 3 weeks.

In Georgia you DO need a SS# to be able to get a drivers license (as of July 1st 2003). Along with health insurance and all sorts of things.