If we had it to do over again.....SSN

Wikiposts

If we had it to do over again.....SSN

Old Mar 24th 2004, 2:55 am
Forum Regular

nkem4ever is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: If we had it to do over again.....SSN

Originally posted by Steffi
I wasn't properly informed about the whole SS# ordeal myself, so according to my own personal logic I thought that I wasn't even allowed to apply for my SS# until I was married (because, after all, my status is to get married! So what if I were to apply for my SS#, get it and never get married?? Again, just my personal logic though). So I applied for my SS# after I got married and it would have never even occured to me that I may have run into problems. Thankfully I received my SS card after about 3 weeks.

In Georgia you DO need a SS# to be able to get a drivers license (as of July 1st 2003). Along with health insurance and all sorts of things.

Hi Stefie
I'm also a Georgia resident (relocated from NY a few yrs ago) and was wondering where did you go to get your SSN application? I know I could call and they'll mail or can download it, i think? I'm also in Dekalb county.

ALso, where did you go to get the marriage registred? Is it downton in Atlanta at the courthouse, or is there a county specific courthouse in dekalb i need to go to? My fiance is intervieiing on 16 April and i"ll be glad to have these two pieces of info underway before hand.

Regarding med/dntl ins. I'm trying out this new company that say they take all appls. on the phone and do not ask for SSN. If ths is corect, Once i sign up they send med cards, Rx & provider list in the mail. so this could be a way of getting the med ins. immediately after our K1 approval, at least that's what i'm hoping to do.

if you've any clarity, I"m all ears.

thank you

Any asistance is much appreicated. thanks
Old Mar 24th 2004, 3:35 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by nkem4ever
Hi Stefie
I'm also a Georgia resident (relocated from NY a few yrs ago) and was wondering where did you go to get your SSN application? I know I could call and they'll mail or can download it, i think? I'm also in Dekalb county.

ALso, where did you go to get the marriage registred? Is it downton in Atlanta at the courthouse, or is there a county specific courthouse in dekalb i need to go to? My fiance is intervieiing on 16 April and i"ll be glad to have these two pieces of info underway before hand.

Regarding med/dntl ins. I'm trying out this new company that say they take all appls. on the phone and do not ask for SSN. If ths is corect, Once i sign up they send med cards, Rx & provider list in the mail. so this could be a way of getting the med ins. immediately after our K1 approval, at least that's what i'm hoping to do.

thank you

I am also in GA, although in Muscogee Co. (Columbus area). Here, we just went to the Social Security Administration office- there was no "application" as such. They just put all the data in the computer, and mail the card in a few weeks. I am sure if you look up SS Admin in the phone book you'll find it.
Old Mar 24th 2004, 3:57 am
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Stefie

thank you

I just downloaded the SSN application online (http://www.socialsecurity.gov/online/ss-5.html), but once I got to the office they had additional forms there. Considering you will probably wait several hours you would technically have time to fill it out while you wait, but I like knowing what to expect from the forms, so I brought mine ready to go. I went to my nearest SS office located by LaVista Road off I-285, but there may be more offices throughout Atlanta and you can find your nearest one if you check out this website: http://www.ssa.gov/atlanta/index.htm

As for my marriage: my husband and I went to the Decatur courthouse because that was the one responsible for DeKalb county marriages. You just go there to get your marriage license and then you can get married and receiveyour actual marriage certificate.

Let us know how the health insurance works out, and best of luck to you and your wife-to-be.
Old Mar 24th 2004, 4:08 am
Forum Regular

I just downloaded the SSN application online (http://www.socialsecurity.gov/online/ss-5.html), but once I got to the office they had additional forms there. Considering you will probably wait several hours you would technically have time to fill it out while you wait, but I like knowing what to expect from the forms, so I brought mine ready to go. I went to my nearest SS office located by LaVista Road off I-285, but there may be more offices throughout Atlanta and you can find your nearest one if you check out this website: http://www.ssa.gov/atlanta/index.htm

As for my marriage: my husband and I went to the Decatur courthouse because that was the one responsible for DeKalb county marriages. You just go there to get your marriage license and then you can get married and receiveyour actual marriage certificate.

Let us know how the health insurance works out, and best of luck to you and your wife-to-be.

I am the wife to be

thanks for the info. I live literally off 285 near LaVista, on Lawrenceville Hwy. So more than likely will go to that SS ofc. SO where exactly is the decatur courthouse? its most likely the one we'll be going to also. I'm thinking of the one on Memorial drive across from DMV or is that one just for traffic tickets???

sorry i'm so lost here its just that i've had to deal w/fulton county court in dwntn Atl for other purposes and never had to go to any one in dekalb/decatur.

so thanks again for answering my ??'s.
Old Mar 24th 2004, 4:24 am
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute

I am the wife to be

thanks for the info. I live literally off 285 near LaVista, on Lawrenceville Hwy. So more than likely will go to that SS ofc. SO where exactly is the decatur courthouse? its most likely the one we'll be going to also. I'm thinking of the one on Memorial drive across from DMV or is that one just for traffic tickets???

sorry i'm so lost here its just that i've had to deal w/fulton county court in dwntn Atl for other purposes and never had to go to any one in dekalb/decatur.

so thanks again for answering my ??'s.
Oops, I'm incredibly sorry....your husband-to-be!

The SS office off LaVista is at:
100 Crescent Center Pkwy Tucker, GA 30084(http://s3abaca.ssa.gov/pro/fol/fol-form.cgi)

The DeKalb courthouse in Dectaur is at:
556 N Mcdonough St, Decatur, GA 30030
Old Mar 24th 2004, 4:38 am
Forum Regular

Oops, I'm incredibly sorry....your husband-to-be!

The SS office off LaVista is at:
100 Crescent Center Pkwy Tucker, GA 30084(http://s3abaca.ssa.gov/pro/fol/fol-form.cgi)

The DeKalb courthouse in Dectaur is at:
556 N Mcdonough St, Decatur, GA 30030

Apology accepted - no worries. you had no way of knowing.

Again, the info is appreciated a hundred times over. I'll keep you all posted.
Old Mar 24th 2004, 7:40 am
Ralph Nadar

SecretGarden <member4024@british_expats.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi All,
    > Some of you may remember that we applied for Mr. Pink's SSN last
    > week (AFTER we were married several weeks ago) and realized too late
    > that we may have voided his K1 status by being married, thus making him
    > ineligible for SSN without EAD........the clerk asked us at the time if
    > we were married, we of course told the truth and showed her a copy of
    > the marriage certificate which she recorded on the application for the
    > SSN. She didn't ask us any other questions but very thoroughly recorded
    > his A number and visa number on the application as well as checking his
    > identifying information from the SAVE system.
    >
    > We were told that it
    > would take about two weeks to get the card, but it actually came in the
    > mail yesterday, only a week after applying for it.
    >
    > So, even though it
    > appears that this worked out alright for us, we wanted to post a caveat------
    > if we had it to do all over again we would have applied for the number
    > BEFORE we were married, thereby avoiding the potential voiding of his
    > K1. (In our case we had to be married immediately after he arrived to
    > add him on to health insurance as a spouse to cover occupational
    > therapy).
    >
    > Just wanted to post an update and reiterate the point that
    > if we hadn't been clueless about this about this part of the process, we
    > would have applied before marriage, and saved ourselves some worry.
    >
    >
    > ~SecretGarden
    > ~and Mr. Pink (who has already memorized his SSN!)

thats great advice Secret ( whats the secret?)

Old Mar 24th 2004, 8:38 am
Michael D. Young

Steffi wrote:

> The SS office off LaVista is at:
    > 100 Crescent Center Pkwy Tucker, GA 30084

If it was me I would go to another SSA office.

http://www.ssa.gov/locator

Old Mar 25th 2004, 8:15 am
K1 via London

Originally posted by Michael D. Young

Why do you say that?
Old Mar 25th 2004, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

Steffi wrote:

> The SS office off LaVista is at:
    > 100 Crescent Center Pkwy Tucker, GA 30084

yeah, why do you say that? what gives?
Old Mar 25th 2004, 10:57 am
Michael D. Young

Steffi wrote:

> http://www.ssa.gov/locatorhttp://www.ssa.gov/locator
    > Why do you say that?

Well I don't know if they are just overly busy or what, but have heard a
few complaints about their service. If it was me I would go to another
office if it wasn't a major hassle.

Old Mar 25th 2004, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

wesleygolf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dbark
Actually, the requirements for a US driver's license varies from state to state. All I needed in Arkansas was my British birth certificate and passport, plus my marriage certificate to show the name change.

http://www.state.ar.us/dfa/motorvehi...rservices.html

I suggest looking up on your state's DFA webpage for definitive requirements.

Debbie
You are right. In Tennessee all we needed for a drivers license was the passport, birth certificate, and marriage certificate. No problem. Also, we applied for ss# after marriage and before filing AOS and got it really fast.
Old Mar 26th 2004, 8:04 am
K1 via London

Well I don't know if they are just overly busy or what, but have heard a
few complaints about their service. If it was me I would go to another
office if it wasn't a major hassle.
Ohhhhh. Well yeah, mine took over 2 weeks as well, so I guess that would be true.
Old Mar 26th 2004, 8:04 am
K1 via London

Ohhhhh. Well yeah, mine took over 2 weeks as well, so I guess that would be true.
....not to mention the second time I went there I waited for 3.5 hours I think. First time was only an hour.
Old Mar 26th 2004, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

....not to mention the second time I went there I waited for 3.5 hours I think. First time was only an hour.

Alright, that's good to know. I'll just prepare myself for a long wait that's all. At that stage i'll be so glad to be past this other stuff that a few hours won't matter. Besides, my sweetheart will already be here so compared to the ten (+/-) months we've wated to even get him here, i'tll be fine.

By the way, since the form is downloadable, can I not just mail it in or do I have to be there in person to deliver to them?

I do thank you both for pulling my coat tail on it anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.