Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

If I-129 mailed now to TSC, possible to get K-1 Visa in May 2003?

Wikiposts

If I-129 mailed now to TSC, possible to get K-1 Visa in May 2003?

Old Jan 9th 2003, 1:40 pm
SSJ
Forum Regular

SSJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default If I-129 mailed now to TSC, possible to get K-1 Visa in May 2003?

Me: Canadian in Vancouver, British Columbia
Him: US military officer (will apply via TSC)

It tears me up to see everyone in such heated, passionate discussions about long K-1 processing times with TSC, while my boyfriend keeps putting off filing Fiancee petition for me (he got my signed G-325A and Statement of Intention early Nov. 2002) , only because some INS reps told him it only takes 60-90 days to process.

Our first baby is due end of Feb. 2003, and will be delivered in Canada. If my boyfriend finally mails the petition out tomorrow to TSC on Jan 10, 2003, how much can I count on being able to cross the US/Canada border in May, 2003, with K-1 Visas and a baby in my hands? If the Visas won't come in time, baby and I will try as visitors and stay in US only for as long as we're allowed to (Canadians don't need visitor's visa)... but I know Ports- of-Entry might not let us thru while Visas are still pending. What makes it worse is my boyfriend might get sent overseas by the military any moment...

He truly loves me, and is excited about the baby; however he'd rather believe what INS quoted him, instead of real life (horror) stories of how long people have to wait for TSC. I'm sick and tired of asking him to take actions... Is there anything else I could do?
Old Jan 9th 2003, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Caro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: If I-129 mailed now to TSC, possible to get K-1 Visa in May 2003?

Originally posted by SSJ

It tears me up to see everyone in such heated, passionate discussions about long K-1 processing times with TSC, while my boyfriend keeps putting off filing Fiancee petition for me (he got my signed G-325A and Statement of Intention early Nov. 2002) , only because some INS reps told him it only takes 60-90 days to process.

Our first baby is due end of Feb. 2003, and will be delivered in Canada. If my boyfriend finally mails the petition out tomorrow to TSC on Jan 10, 2003, how much can I count on being able to cross the US/Canada border in May, 2003, with K-1 Visas and a baby in my hands? If the Visas won't come in time, baby and I will try as visitors and stay in US only for as long as we're allowed to (Canadians don't need visitor's visa)... but I know Ports- of-Entry might not let us thru while Visas are still pending. What makes it worse is my boyfriend might get sent overseas by the military any moment...

He truly loves me, and is excited about the baby; however he'd rather believe what INS quoted him, instead of real life (horror) stories of how long people have to wait for TSC. I'm sick and tired of asking him to take actions... Is there anything else I could do?
It was mentioned several times, that the INS might speed up the paperwork if there is a baby in the equation. However, if the baby is due in February, I am not sure that this would be of much weight, but it doesn't hurt to try. Also, if he is in the military, he might have some advantages timewise. These are just conjectures to try to help out and I hope that somebody more knowledgeable than I will see the message once it has been bumped up and be able to give you better answers.

Caroline
Old Jan 9th 2003, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

angeles73 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: If I-129 mailed now to TSC, possible to get K-1 Visa in May 2003?

I'm sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, INS counts on people like your fiance and most people do just that. Wait... and sit idly by. But unfortunately, if he doesn't file, there is no way to get it started. The USC has to begin this process.

Ange

Originally posted by SSJ