Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Icede's Questions on marriage to LPR

Wikiposts

Icede's Questions on marriage to LPR

Old Sep 29th 2009, 1:33 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Icede's Questions on marriage to LPR

Originally Posted by Icede
... if I marry with my fiance (who is a Permanent Resident) in USA, while visiting on B1/B2 visa and then leave to my home country before my visa expires... wouldn't it be considered immigration fraud?...
Don't be ridiculous! It's perfectly legal to get married in the US while you're here as a visitor. As long as your intent is not to marry and then stay in the US, you're fine.

Ian
Old Sep 29th 2009, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

Icede is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Don't be ridiculous! It's perfectly legal to get married in the US while you're here as a visitor. As long as your intent is not to marry and then stay in the US, you're fine.

Ian
Hi IAN,

ok, but I intend to stay in USA after 16months, when my fiance will be a citizen. what about that? I read on some web pages that on interview they are very seriuos with such situations.. I am planningin advance what would be better for my.. to marry now and send I-130 (now my fiance is a Permanent Resident) or wait while he become an USC and then come with fiancee viza (K1)... Do you see any merits and demerits on K1 and K3 visas? what is your opinion about following visas? which one is cheaper?

Thanks in advance
Aiste
Old Sep 29th 2009, 3:20 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

ok, but I intend to stay in USA after 16months, when my fiance will be a citizen. what about that?
The important thing is that you do NOT intend to stay in the USA on THIS visitor's visa visit. The fact that you intend to return later on as an immigrant is OK.

I am planningin advance what would be better for my.. to marry now and send I-130 (now my fiance is a Permanent Resident) or wait while he become an USC and then come with fiancee viza (K1)... Do you see any merits and demerits on K1 and K3 visas?
Yes. In most cases, the K-3 is NOT the best way to go. If you are considering a spouse visa as an option, just stick with the immigrant visa, not the K-3. As for which is better between the K-1 fiance and the Immigrant spouse visa, the choice is totally yours. Would you prefer to be living apart as a married couple or an engaged couple? How important will it be for the immigrant to work right away after arrival in the USA? What if the LPR's citizenship gets delayed? These are just some things to think about in making you decision.

which one is cheaper?
In the long run, I think the spouse Immigrant Visa is a bit cheaper.

Rene
Old Sep 30th 2009, 1:52 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

I,

Why would it be considered immigration fraud? You would not have attempted to immigrate ...

And you're not marrying this guy only because it gives you a means to immigrate - are you?

Regards, JEff

if I marry with my fiance (who is a Permanent Resident) in USA, while visiting on B1/B2 visa and then leave to my home country before my visa expires... wouldn't it be considered immigration fraud?...
Old Sep 30th 2009, 2:07 am
BE Enthusiast

YouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
And you're not marrying this guy only because it gives you a means to immigrate - are you?
I think you have to wait until becoming a USC to claim the 5th, don't you?!

Old Sep 30th 2009, 2:15 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

I think you just have to be on US soil. (But I'm not a constitutional scholar )

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by YouWantFriesWithThat

Old Sep 30th 2009, 11:54 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YouWantFriesWithThat
Sorry, but JEff's right on this one. Everyone on US soil is protected by the US Constitution - whether they're here legally or not.

Ian
Old Sep 30th 2009, 1:08 pm

That's why GWB located the detainment center at Gitmo!

Regards, JEff

Everyone on US soil is protected by the US Constitution - whether they're here legally or not.

Ian
Old Sep 30th 2009, 11:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

YouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, but JEff's right on this one. Everyone on US soil is protected by the US Constitution - whether they're here legally or not.

Ian
Hi Ian,

Yes, I know, I was just trying to add some humour to the situation and to try and make the OP feel like this was not some kind of online court (despite what the circumstances may or may not suggest to some)