Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

IAS and Green Card Needed

IAS and Green Card Needed

Old Sep 25th 2017, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

Chins is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IAS and Green Card Needed

I have just started talking to IAS re a lease car. They are saying the need a physical copy of my green card before the deal could go ahead.

At the moment i was planning on entering the US about 5 weeks before my permanent move, but on average how long does it take to get the physical card. IAS are saying what is put in my passport is not sufficent.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 1:37 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IAS and Green Card Needed

That doesn't sound right. I have never heard of that before. I wonder if it is a new requirement? .... And it is possible to lease through IAS when in the US on an L-1 or H-1 visa, when there is no green card.

But how long does it take to get the actual green card? .... Currently they say about 3 months.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

It maybe the guy i was talking to didnt really understand my situation. I had to explain that I would be on a CR-1 visa and what it was.

I had thought other on here had used them via this route and not had to wait 3 months !
Old Sep 25th 2017, 2:05 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chins
It maybe the guy i was talking to didnt really understand my situation. I had to explain that I would be on a CR-1 visa and what it was.

I had thought other on here had used them via this route and not had to wait 3 months !
Ah! .... Do you have a job lined up? If you are coming on a spouse visa and green card, but don't have a job lined up, that might be what makes the difference.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

iarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond repute

That's almost certainly the case. Once you enter the US, your CR-1 visa is cancelled and automatically becomes a temporary green card valid for one year - you can use it anywhere that people want to see a green card (e.g. DMV, social security, employment, firearms purchase, etc.). Should be no problem to use it for the lease too.
And just as a random data point, it took 14 months for my physical green card to arrive.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by iarnell
.... And just as a random data point, it took 14 months for my physical green card to arrive.
It took me only six weeks (back in 2001) to get mine, but when it arrived they had changed my surname to a different word, and changed my nationality to Irish!
Old Sep 25th 2017, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by iarnell
That's almost certainly the case. Once you enter the US, your CR-1 visa is cancelled and automatically becomes a temporary green card valid for one year - you can use it anywhere that people want to see a green card (e.g. DMV, social security, employment, firearms purchase, etc.). Should be no problem to use it for the lease too.
And just as a random data point, it took 14 months for my physical green card to arrive.
I did ask the guy wasnt the entry in my passport good enough and he didnt think so.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Ah! .... Do you have a job lined up? If you are coming on a spouse visa and green card, but don't have a job lined up, that might be what makes the difference.
I do have a job working for a JV my current employer has set up. The speed and ease of DCF to me made it easier rather than an employment visa. My boss is busy enough without getting him involved in a visa application
Old Sep 25th 2017, 2:25 pm

I do have a job working for a JV my current employer has set up. The speed and ease of DCF to me made it easier rather than an employment visa. My boss is busy enough without getting him involved in a visa application
In that case it's ignorance and/or a SNAFU at IAS.
Old Sep 26th 2017, 9:01 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

My green card took 63 days. Arrived December 19, 2016 and GC arrived in the mail on Feb 21.