Wikiposts

I864 question

Old Sep 2nd 2015, 5:24 am
Just Joined

Mpkonar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I864 question

Hi there, I can't seem to find an answer to my question anywhere so here we go. I'm a usc and I'm currently living and working in the UK for the past 5 months and we have filed for a cr1 visa for my wife because we plan to move back to the us. I have been in Europe for the past year and a half but have only been working for 5 months. Before that back in the states I did not report any income for about 5 years and my dad had me as a dependant on his tax forms including the year 2014. I plan to file taxes for this year obviously but that's not until next year so my question is if I had no income for the past 6 years and therefore did not file a tax return then do I have to worry about not bringing a tax return to my wife's interview if my father is the co sponsor and easily meets the requirement? Also on his tax returns it clearly has me as a dependant. Thanks for your help in advance.
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 5:34 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I864 question

Originally Posted by Mpkonar
... if I had no income for the past 6 years and therefore did not file a tax return then do I have to worry about not bringing a tax return to my wife's interview...
No - however, as the USC spouse, you must file an I-864 whether or not you qualify financially... and to that end, you're wife will need to bring a note from you indicating that you weren't required to file a tax return for the past 3 years because you had insufficient income. It's pretty much irrelevant that you were a dependent on your father's tax return... you didn't file because you had insufficient income.

... if my father is the co sponsor and easily meets the requirement?
Your father will be a "joint sponsor" not "co sponsor"... but essentially correct - his income will be the one used.

Also on his tax returns it clearly has me as a dependant.
Whether that's true or not is largely irrelevant.

Ian
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 5:39 am
Just Joined

Mpkonar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I864 question

Thank you so much Ian for the swift response! We just had her medical today so that just leaves the interview in a few weeks and that was the only thing that worried me. Thank you once again