Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I751 Petition to remove conditions on residence

I751 Petition to remove conditions on residence

Old Mar 25th 2019, 8:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond repute
Default I751 Petition to remove conditions on residence

Its been 2 years now and still waiting. I got the extension until April 9th. I have still heard nothing. I used to find that USCIS was great for calling and getting some advice, but now they seem to be all automated and speaking to a human being is not possible. I am not sure what to do since I can't contact them and legally as of April 9th I am not legal....at least that is my understanding but I could be wrong. Any tips on what to do? Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 25th 2019, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I751 Petition to remove conditions on residence

Originally Posted by charelle
Its been 2 years now and still waiting. I got the extension until April 9th. I have still heard nothing. I used to find that USCIS was great for calling and getting some advice, but now they seem to be all automated and speaking to a human being is not possible. I am not sure what to do since I can't contact them and legally as of April 9th I am not legal....at least that is my understanding but I could be wrong. Any tips on what to do? Thanks in advance.
Get an info pass appointment when you're expired. Someone may correct me, but I believe you're still a permanent resident until it's adjudicated.

Considered filing for naturalization?
Old Mar 25th 2019, 11:56 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

You are still a US PR even after your extension letter expires. Make an Infopass appointment to get an I-551 stamp in your passport. Contact your local congressman to make an inquiry as to why it's taking so long. Apply for citizenship when you are eligible.

Rene
Old Mar 26th 2019, 11:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
Get an info pass appointment when you're expired. Someone may correct me, but I believe you're still a permanent resident until it's adjudicated.

Considered filing for naturalization?
Thanks Tom, I will do that. Regarding naturalization, I have been here since June 2014 and received my GC in April 2015, so if eligibility goes by the date/year I got my GC I won't be eligible to apply until next year.
Old Mar 26th 2019, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Tom, I will do that. Regarding naturalization, I have been here since June 2014 and received my GC in April 2015, so if eligibility goes by the date/year I got my GC I won't be eligible to apply until next year.
Are you still married to the US citizen? If so it is 3 years - https://www.uscis.gov/us-citizenship...es-us-citizens
Old Mar 26th 2019, 11:38 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You are still a US PR even after your extension letter expires. Make an Infopass appointment to get an I-551 stamp in your passport. Contact your local congressman to make an inquiry as to why it's taking so long. Apply for citizenship when you are eligible.

Rene
Thanks Rene. It's the I-551 stamp that will expire, so I guess I will need to get another in April. I hadn't considered contacting my local congressman. I wrote above in reply to Tom regarding my eligibility for applying for citizenship.
Old Mar 26th 2019, 11:39 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by tom169
Are you still married to the US citizen? If so it is 3 years - https://www.uscis.gov/us-citizenship...es-us-citizens
No, I'm no longer married to the US citizen.
Old Mar 26th 2019, 1:54 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

That's a shame. Yes, please contact your congressional rep for assistance in investigating the holdup of the I-751. I'm assuming part of it is due to the fact that you filed for removal after the dissolution of your marriage.
Old Mar 26th 2019, 2:24 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Rete
That's a shame. Yes, please contact your congressional rep for assistance in investigating the holdup of the I-751. I'm assuming part of it is due to the fact that you filed for removal after the dissolution of your marriage.
Thanks Rete. Yes it probably does have to do with divorce....although it wasn't me that filed for that. I was the one that wanted to address the issues we had and they could have perhaps been resolved over time and with honesty. However that was not what he wanted. So this is where I am now. They had asked for additional information, which I provided them with. Still nothing. I basically need/want to know where i stand as i have a life here with responsibilities and it would be nice to know where the future is, either way. But living in limbo is starting to take it's toll. If it turned out that the I751 were denied, this would be huge as far as uprooting my life now, and although I know I would have no choice, a lot of planning would be involved and I'd like to know that I would have time to "organise" this ahead of time as not only I would be involved in the uprooting.
Old Mar 26th 2019, 3:02 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Being in limbo doesn't help, does it. Hoping the inquiry produces affirmative results for you. You married in good faith and if that is proven, then the I-751 'should' be granted.
Old Mar 26th 2019, 4:58 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Rete
Being in limbo doesn't help, does it. Hoping the inquiry produces affirmative results for you. You married in good faith and if that is proven, then the I-751 'should' be granted.
It certainly doesn't help and everything i sent them shows the marriage was in good faith....the rest is up to them to decide. Will keep you posted
Old Sep 23rd 2019, 4:49 pm
Account Closed

Continuing this post.....
In April 2019, I had my appointment and I received a stamp in my passport which is valid until April 2020. Even the lady at the desk was surprised it has taken this long. She also took my GC, so now I only have the stamp in my passport. I still haven't heard anything and being in limbo is a little stressful as planning anything really isn't a good idea, but at the same time it's hard to just get on with life. I wasn't able to find any other posts similar to this....could someone maybe point me in the right direction just so I can see how others are coping or did, and their experiences?
Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 25th 2019, 12:34 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

The law allows filing the N-400 no more than 90 days BEFORE meeting the 5 year residence requirement.
Old Sep 25th 2019, 3:16 pm
Account Closed

Thanks S Folinsky