Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I751 finally approved (I think)

I751 finally approved (I think)

Old Apr 11th 2012, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute
Default I751 finally approved (I think)

Just wanted to let you know that my case status is updated today with "On April 11, 2012, we ordered production of your new card" which I suppose means the petition is approved. Hurray.

So it took about 10 months. Vermont service center.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 7:06 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I751 finally approved (I think)

Congratulations!

Rene
Old Apr 11th 2012, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.
And thanks for all your help along the way.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 7:31 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmood
Thanks.
And thanks for all your help along the way.
You're quite welcome!
Old Apr 15th 2012, 4:52 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats!
Old Apr 15th 2012, 6:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks
Old Apr 15th 2012, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

Coopernaut is just really niceCoopernaut is just really niceCoopernaut is just really niceCoopernaut is just really niceCoopernaut is just really niceCoopernaut is just really niceCoopernaut is just really niceCoopernaut is just really niceCoopernaut is just really niceCoopernaut is just really niceCoopernaut is just really nice

Congratulations!
Old Apr 15th 2012, 5:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thank you
Old Apr 16th 2012, 8:38 pm
Goooner!

Pipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to all

Wow.. 10 months!!

I makes me smile that back in early January the USCIS website said that for 751's the average time was 6 months which happened to also be their target.

But when I phoned in late January I was told they were still processing applications received in May 2011 - i.e about 8 months

The Service Center page was then updated recently to show their new estimate was 7.5 months for Vermont.

Now on the general processing times page it's stating they are up to June 2012 but this page hasn't been updated since January 31st 2012.

Seeing your post saying it took you 10 months got me thinking.

I posted my 751 in early September 2011 so by my reckoning I might get my application looked at hopefully, next month.... and, if successful (without any need for additional info) be in a position for them to make a decision by July.

But it would really help if the USCIS would update their site at the end of each month because they may have just had a heavy month last May and had very few applications in August.

Does anyone know if we can find out the actual current month they are processing?

I tried calling but the automated system just points you to the outdate website page for processing times.

I am sure, like many of you, my life is on hold - as in, continuing to pay through the nose on rent because you can't commit to anything over six months and I need a new car but again, can't commint to a lease.

I thought this was all behind me (to this extent) when I received my Green Card the first time LOL......
Old Apr 16th 2012, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by Pipmeister
Does anyone know if we can find out the actual current month they are processing?
You cannot, to my knowledge. Processing of the I-751 is a low priority for USCIS, because you remain a PR throughout, so your life is not affected by the slow I-751 approval.

I am sure, like many of you, my life is on hold - as in, continuing to pay through the nose on rent because you can't commit to anything over six months and I need a new car but again, can't commint to a lease.

I thought this was all behind me (to this extent) when I received my Green Card the first time LOL......
Your life should not be on hold right now at all. You are still a PR, with all the same status rights you have had since becoming a PR. Your status hasn't changed at all.

I don't understand why you can't commit to renting longer than 6 months, or can't commit to a lease on a car? Those things shouldn't be affected...nothing about your status in the USA has changed at all.

Rene
Old Apr 17th 2012, 12:13 am
Goooner!

Pipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to all

I couldn't disagree more - true my status hasn't changed yet, but could do so following review of my application - which could come at any time between May and August. Lifting of the conditions and renewal of Green Card isn't a given nor a certainty. Therefore, why would I tie myself to a contract with financial responsibilities and penalties and run the risk of being in a situation where I have my application rejected, at which point my PR status is nullified and I have 4 weeks to leave the US. If that were to happen I could end up owing my landlord several thousand dollars to break the lease and as for the car, have you tried trying to get out of a 3 year lease after just 4 months ? Forgetting the $2500 deposit you've already paid.

And trying to sort all of that out at the same time as trying to organize and fund a move back to the UK inside of 4 weeks. No, that is one financial disaster you don't recover from.

So until I know for certain that I am allowed to live in the US for the next two years I'll have to defer all other decisions.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 1:39 am

I couldn't disagree more - true my status hasn't changed yet, but could do so following review of my application - which could come at any time between May and August. Lifting of the conditions and renewal of Green Card isn't a given nor a certainty. Therefore, why would I tie myself to a contract with financial responsibilities and penalties and run the risk of being in a situation where I have my application rejected, at which point my PR status is nullified and I have 4 weeks to leave the US. If that were to happen I could end up owing my landlord several thousand dollars to break the lease and as for the car, have you tried trying to get out of a 3 year lease after just 4 months ? Forgetting the $2500 deposit you've already paid.

And trying to sort all of that out at the same time as trying to organize and fund a move back to the UK inside of 4 weeks. No, that is one financial disaster you don't recover from.

So until I know for certain that I am allowed to live in the US for the next two years I'll have to defer all other decisions.
Fair enough. I misunderstood before, and I thought those agencies were imposing those restrictions. But I see it's your choice, so I see now what you mean.

It's funny, my alien spouse never thought of any of that while we were going through the removal of conditions. We just assumed it would be approved, as we had no reason to believe it wouldn't be.

Also, keep in mind that if your I-751 should be denied, you can appeal the decision, so you don't have to leave the USA in a hurry.

Rene
Old Apr 17th 2012, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Regarding the question of whether we can find out what month they are actually processing : There is a 1-800 tel info number. I know this forum calls it the "misinformation" line, but I called it about 4 times between January and now, because I felt my 1751 was outside the 6 month processing time. Each time they gave me a date they were processing, each time the date moved further and it all tied in. My 1 before last call was about 4 or 5 working days before my approval date, they told me they were working on a date 1 day before receipt of my application. The day before my approval, I called again, they told me the same date as before (yes - still that same date, which was 1 day before receipt of 1751), but the next day around 7am I had the text saying I was approved.
And yes, if you persevere, you CAN talk to someone. You choose the option where you report a "problem" with your application.

Regarding the feeling of your life being on hold: I can understand that, but I think it's a matter of personality/emotional style. If you "assume" you will be approved because you have a genuine marriage, you can continue as if no problem, though of course technically you could be not approved. Personally, I made a HUGE commitment in terms of money, time and personal emotional risk, with the presumption that I would be approved, by completely changing career mid life and becoming a full time student here but for a degree that will be valid only in the USA.

Pipmeister, good luck by the way. And what would "Pip" be the master of in the case of this screenname? :-)
Old Apr 17th 2012, 3:42 am
Goooner!

Folks, the difference in my case is that I am no longer married. Had I been this might be a different story. And yes it was a genuine marriage after we had been dating for 4 years and good friends for 10. but when we went in for the first Green Card we had a shock when the officer at one point he wasn't sure about us simply because we didn't have a joint mortgage or any joint loans. The fact that we'd had a joint bank account and joint credit card for two years (I was here on an H1b first) didn't seem to be enough.

We were planning on moving back to California within a year and seeing as my then wide had had her existing mortgage for 7 years we didn't think it made financial sense to pay to refinance just to add my name and just for 12 month AND lose the very low rate she had by apply with me with little credit history so low score . as for loans - we had no debts, had two good incomes and so why would we borrow.

Added to this we had evidence (expensive photo albums I.e the ones all Real brides want) that our wedding was a long planned event (which cost us more than I care to remember) with evidence that both our families attended including some from UK, Australia, Washington, Colorado.

And evidence of our 4 year relationship, holiday photos, receipts of joint flights, engagement ring receipt (ouch). Even photos of us at relatives weddings.

Even with all this evidence the guy spend 30 mins deliberating, went out of the room several times and straight out said that he would grant me the provisional GC but that we should get a mortgage in joint names and get joint car insurance etcetc for when we came back to remove conditions.

So how is all that evidence going to look with a marriage that only last 16 months? And we never bothered with the mortgage as we still intended to move State.

So you can see my trepidation!!!
Old Apr 17th 2012, 3:47 am
BE Forum Addict

OK, if you're divorced that's a totally different kettle of fish.

But this:

Even with all this evidence the guy spend 30 mins deliberating, went out of the room several times and straight out said that he would grant me the provisional GC but that we should get a mortgage in joint names and get joint car insurance etcetc for when we came back to remove conditions.
THAT, was an as#%@&

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.