I751 Experiences?

Old Jan 22nd 2019, 2:28 am
Forum Regular

MaddiGibbs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I751 Experiences?

Evening, all!
Curious about other people's timeliness and experiences with the i751...
We filed jointly end of July 2018
Got our cheques cashed within a week and my NOA arrived about a week after that.
My extension is for 18 months, I think USCIS is really backlogged.
5th Sept 2018 was my biometrics
My conditional GC expired 26 Oct 2018

Since the biometrics we've just been waiting. I check both websites every other day, it doesnt change.

I read online that around the 4-6 month mark, applicants either receive their request for an interview, receive a Request for Further Evidence or nothing at all.
We're now at six months in, and with USCIS being so backlogged I'm not sure if this is a case of no news is good news or no news means no ones even looked at it yet?

We submitted two big folders full of evidence so I feel sorry for the workers having to trail through it all!

What's even more frustrating is since we filed, our finances have really improved meaning we're able to get a lot of the financial evidence we didn't have when we filed (e.g: car insurance in both names) and my family finally visited form the UK...

Putting it all into a box incase we get an interview /RFE.

Thanks for reading, sorry I kinda just needed to vent as my Anxiety is getting worse with each passing (and silent!) day.

Anyoen else feel similar?

Xx
Old Jan 22nd 2019, 11:30 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I751 Experiences?

The reason that they extended the letters for 12 to 18 months is because it's taking so long. The I-751 is petty much 'we'll get to it when we can' since you retain your PR status throughout.

It seems to be routine (I believe we have seen at least 2 on here in the last couple months) at the moment for people to not even get an answer before filing the N400 and that forcing the adjudication of the I-751.
Old Jan 22nd 2019, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by civilservant
The reason that they extended the letters for 12 to 18 months is because it's taking so long. The I-751 is petty much 'we'll get to it when we can' since you retain your PR status throughout.

It seems to be routine (I believe we have seen at least 2 on here in the last couple months) at the moment for people to not even get an answer before filing the N400 and that forcing the adjudication of the I-751.
The backlog must be terrible at this point, then!

After six months though I'd have thought we'd have heard something like an interview date or request for more evidence.

Also, can an i751 be denied whilst waiting for a decision on the N400?

Ta
Old Jan 22nd 2019, 11:36 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

If it's an active application, of course.

Honestly, stop overthinking this. If you are still married, and submitted loads of evidence, there is literally no reason for them to deny you. Positive thoughts.
Old Jan 22nd 2019, 3:12 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

It is not so much that they are backlogged on the I-751, it is simply because they are backlogged on other types of petitions and the I-751 applicants retain their status until the I-751 is adjudicated. Back in the early 2000's, we waited over 14 months for adjudication and it was only when the N-400 for naturalization was received and an interview appointment set that the I-751 was finally adjudicated as it must be done before naturalization can be accomplished. This is just to show you and others that this long wait is not new and has been standard for a long time. I'm assuming you qualify at this time to file for naturalization. If so and that is your goal, go ahead and apply. It might well push your adjudication of the I-751.

Anxiety is standard for many people and unless you have reason to fear denial and your marriage is not a valid one, then you are worrying for nothing. It will be adjudicated when it is adjudicated. Elections are only two years away with primaries even sooner. There will be a greater push for naturalizing immigrants for voting.
Old Jan 23rd 2019, 2:45 am
Forum Regular

ellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond repute

Submitted my I751 in Feb 2018. Got a 12 month extension, a letter saying biometrics wouldn't be required, and then the 18 month extension letter (in Aug 2018 I think). Expecting it to be a while longer. You are not alone!
Old Jan 23rd 2019, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm expecting to be waiting 18-24 months when I file this November. I'm 100% certain I'll be able to file my N400 long before my I-751 will be adjudicated. So no, you're not alone. All the processing times and threads I've seen on this forum and others show that it's a painful wait!
Old Jan 23rd 2019, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenK91
I'm expecting to be waiting 18-24 months when I file this November. I'm 100% certain I'll be able to file my N400 long before my I-751 will be adjudicated. So no, you're not alone. All the processing times and threads I've seen on this forum and others show that it's a painful wait!
Apart from myself applying in October, and having to get the I-551 stamp in my passport, my opinion is basically the same as this.
Old Jan 25th 2019, 3:17 am
Forum Regular

Thank you everyone for your replies, I really appreciate your comments!!

My husband keeps telling me to be calm and I my anxiety levels just keep rising. I have decided to file for naturalisation and I know this'll happen before I get the i751 decision, but then I go back to panic mode wondering 'what if the green card is denied whilst my naturalisation case is pending' and other thoughts.
I love my husband and our little boy so much my biggest fear is being apart from them.

Old Jan 25th 2019, 3:22 am
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MaddiGibbs
Thank you everyone for your replies, I really appreciate your comments!!

My husband keeps telling me to be calm and I my anxiety levels just keep rising. I have decided to file for naturalisation and I know this'll happen before I get the i751 decision, but then I go back to panic mode wondering 'what if the green card is denied whilst my naturalisation case is pending' and other thoughts.
I love my husband and our little boy so much my biggest fear is being apart from them.
USCIS isn’t really in the business of separating US citizens from their families. You have nothing to worry about.
Old Jan 28th 2019, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MaddiGibbs
The backlog must be terrible at this point, then!

After six months though I'd have thought we'd have heard something like an interview date or request for more evide

Also, can an i751 be denied whilst waiting for a decision on the N400?

Ta
The reason USCIS are issuing 18 month extension letters is because they were not managng to clear peoples cases in the twelve month extension period, unless you force the adjudication of your I-751 because you apply for citizenship then I should imagine you will be getting on for 18 months, if not more, before your case is adjudicated.

My N400 was approved at interview but an RFE was issued on the I-751, had I not satisfied the officer with further evidence then I presume they would quite happily have refused my I-751 and chucked me out, regardless of the N400 decision.
My green card expired on 26th October 2017, I applied to naturalize at the earliest possible time and my I-751 was finally approved just before Christmas. 15 months from start to finish.
As of four days ago I have been able to put all the visa palaver behind me, now all I have to do is sort out a new passport, update my SS status and, most importantly, register to vote...
Old Jan 28th 2019, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

USCIS isn’t really in the business of separating US citizens from their families. You have nothing to worry about.
Agreed, having spawned in the US gives an apllicant much stronger evidence of marital ties than those of us who sprogged up decades before in our country of birth!

OP, I know that it is hard to put this aside and get on with your daily life but there is little that can be done to hurry the process along, please try not to worry, this process is a low priority for USCIS.
Old Jan 28th 2019, 2:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by zzrmark
The reason USCIS are issuing 18 month extension letters is because they were not managng to clear peoples cases in the twelve month extension period, unless you force the adjudication of your I-751 because you apply for citizenship then I should imagine you will be getting on for 18 months, if not more, before your case is adjudicated.

My N400 was approved at interview but an RFE was issued on the I-751, had I not satisfied the officer with further evidence then I presume they would quite happily have refused my I-751 and chucked me out, regardless of the N400 decision.
My green card expired on 26th October 2017, I applied to naturalize at the earliest possible time and my I-751 was finally approved just before Christmas. 15 months from start to finish.
As of four days ago I have been able to put all the visa palaver behind me, now all I have to do is sort out a new passport, update my SS status and, most importantly, register to vote...
Congratulations on getting through everything!! Sounds like you've been on quite the journey.
What was getting a RFE like?? What did they ask for?
I'm collecting evidence all the time in case we get called for an interview or we get the RFE, too (we didn't have a lot of proof showing joint finances for various reasons).

I'm also planning on filing for citizenship and will be using our lawyer this time (didn't use one on the i751 and I soon realised using my attorney helps my nerves lol!).

So after six months I guess I really shouldn't be surprised that we've heard nothing...now I feel silly for worrying!

Old Jan 28th 2019, 2:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ellie_gbr
Submitted my I751 in Feb 2018. Got a 12 month extension, a letter saying biometrics wouldn't be required, and then the 18 month extension letter (in Aug 2018 I think). Expecting it to be a while longer. You are not alone!
Thank you darling! And it's awesome you didn't need another biometrics!
Old Jan 28th 2019, 2:48 am
Forum Regular

It's very painful I agree with that. Seems like a lot of people have had good outcomes, so that is very encouraging. We've been married three years in April and have a toddler together so we're really just starting out...

How are you finding life in America?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.