Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I751 Biometrics appt, with error on PR card

I751 Biometrics appt, with error on PR card

Old Nov 14th 2006, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

mrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond repute
Default I751 Biometrics appt, with error on PR card

Well, today was the day of my biometrics appointment for my I-751 petition for removal of conditions on permanent residence. Everything pointed to this being a relatively painless procedure, were it not for two factors -
1. My "two year green card" turned out to be valid for ten years, due to some USCIS processing error, and
2. I had to go to WAUKEGAN, Illinois, for my biometrics. The words "desolate hellhole" spring to mind... sorry if you live there, but honestly...

So, up at 4:15 this morning so I could make the 80 mile drive and still allow time for a few "unplanned directional variations" on my route. Fortunately I didn't get lost, so I arrived at the office (the one marked INS, next to the laundromat) at 7:22.

It was closed. And cold.

I went back to the car to wait, and by the time I got back to the door there were a few people in front of me, and more arriving behind me every minute. At about five to eight a lady came out of the office next door and advised those waiting that cellphones were not allowed under any circumstances, so we all ran back to our cars to hide 'em. One girl asked the guy by the door if this was the line for the office, and he said at the top of his voice "THERE ISN'T A LINE, WE'VE ALL GOT EIGHT O'CLOCK APPOINTMENTS BUT I WANT TO BE FIRST IF THAT'S OK WITH YOU"

Well, what would you say? Sure, be my guest, you're clearly more important than us anyway, so off ya go! It didn't matter of course, because when the door opened he was first to get a clipboard and form, but not first to get processed. Clearly used up all his writing energy running his mouth. Oh well.

So, the form asked for name, address, SS#, height, weight, eye colour, hair colour, LIN# and sex, for which they offered "male or female" as helpful suggestions. I'd have thought that by this stage in the process most applicants would have got past the urge to write "yes please", but you never know.

I presented my completed form to the officer at the desk, and he looked it over, and spent a few moments actually *reading* all the information on my permanent resident card. I was expecting trouble here, and had arrived with a ton of information to show that I really did need to remove conditions, despite the expiry date on my card. None of this was needed. He stamped my appointment notice with a big rubber stamp that read "Biometrics Processing Stamp", and he wrote a few numbers on it, plus a few ticks and crossings out on my completed form. Then he gave me a number (blue 6, to be precise) and told me to sit and wait for my number to be called - which was almost immediately!

I went over to the lady with the big fingerprinting thingy, and she took a print of my right index finger, and asked me to confirm my name and alien# on the computer screen. All was correct, so she sat me down for the photograph, telling me that a "small smile is ok, but no teeth". I even had the chance to approve the photograph!

That was all done very quickly, and finally I had a small yellow card to fill out, which just had three questions to answer, like "Were your staff courteous and polite?", stuff like that. Yes they were, and very fast and efficient. Every person there called me Sir, and asked me how I was, and it was all very smooth.

Finally I was back out and walking across the parking lot, and just amazed at how long it took... it was 8:12! Yep, less than fifteen minutes! That kind of speed and efficiency almost made up for the four hours of driving!

So to sum up, it was nothing. Easy. Doddle. Very fast, no questions or raised eyebrows at the ten year card I wasn't supposed to have.

Waukegan, you rock! I take it all back.

Cheers,

Mr Pink
~and SecretGarden, who plots a route better than Mapquest
Old Nov 14th 2006, 6:38 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I751 Biometrics appt, with error on PR card

I'm glad it all went smoothly for you. Congratulations.

Although granted AOS almost 2 months ago, I've yet to receive my card or welcome letter or anything other than the email. Still smiling, and waiting . . .

Originally Posted by mrpink
Well, today was the day of my biometrics appointment for my I-751 petition for removal of conditions on permanent residence. Everything pointed to this being a relatively painless procedure, were it not for two factors -
1. My "two year green card" turned out to be valid for ten years, due to some USCIS processing error, and
2. I had to go to WAUKEGAN, Illinois, for my biometrics. The words "desolate hellhole" spring to mind... sorry if you live there, but honestly...

So, up at 4:15 this morning so I could make the 80 mile drive and still allow time for a few "unplanned directional variations" on my route. Fortunately I didn't get lost, so I arrived at the office (the one marked INS, next to the laundromat) at 7:22.

It was closed. And cold.

I went back to the car to wait, and by the time I got back to the door there were a few people in front of me, and more arriving behind me every minute. At about five to eight a lady came out of the office next door and advised those waiting that cellphones were not allowed under any circumstances, so we all ran back to our cars to hide 'em. One girl asked the guy by the door if this was the line for the office, and he said at the top of his voice "THERE ISN'T A LINE, WE'VE ALL GOT EIGHT O'CLOCK APPOINTMENTS BUT I WANT TO BE FIRST IF THAT'S OK WITH YOU"

Well, what would you say? Sure, be my guest, you're clearly more important than us anyway, so off ya go! It didn't matter of course, because when the door opened he was first to get a clipboard and form, but not first to get processed. Clearly used up all his writing energy running his mouth. Oh well.

So, the form asked for name, address, SS#, height, weight, eye colour, hair colour, LIN# and sex, for which they offered "male or female" as helpful suggestions. I'd have thought that by this stage in the process most applicants would have got past the urge to write "yes please", but you never know.

I presented my completed form to the officer at the desk, and he looked it over, and spent a few moments actually *reading* all the information on my permanent resident card. I was expecting trouble here, and had arrived with a ton of information to show that I really did need to remove conditions, despite the expiry date on my card. None of this was needed. He stamped my appointment notice with a big rubber stamp that read "Biometrics Processing Stamp", and he wrote a few numbers on it, plus a few ticks and crossings out on my completed form. Then he gave me a number (blue 6, to be precise) and told me to sit and wait for my number to be called - which was almost immediately!

I went over to the lady with the big fingerprinting thingy, and she took a print of my right index finger, and asked me to confirm my name and alien# on the computer screen. All was correct, so she sat me down for the photograph, telling me that a "small smile is ok, but no teeth". I even had the chance to approve the photograph!

That was all done very quickly, and finally I had a small yellow card to fill out, which just had three questions to answer, like "Were your staff courteous and polite?", stuff like that. Yes they were, and very fast and efficient. Every person there called me Sir, and asked me how I was, and it was all very smooth.

Finally I was back out and walking across the parking lot, and just amazed at how long it took... it was 8:12! Yep, less than fifteen minutes! That kind of speed and efficiency almost made up for the four hours of driving!

So to sum up, it was nothing. Easy. Doddle. Very fast, no questions or raised eyebrows at the ten year card I wasn't supposed to have.

Cheers,

Mr Pink
~and SecretGarden, who plots a route better than Mapquest
Old Nov 14th 2006, 10:32 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Glad it all went well for you sounds exactly like my experiance except I had mine In Naperville.
I was also in and out in less then 15 mins and yes lol we all had 8.00am appointments.

Well now we have the wait I had my Bio as you know 2 weeks ago yesterday lets see who hears first
Old Nov 14th 2006, 10:53 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute
Default I751 Biometrics appt, with error on PR card

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Glad it all went well for you sounds exactly like my experiance except I had mine In Naperville.
I was also in and out in less then 15 mins and yes lol we all had 8.00am appointments.

Well now we have the wait I had my Bio as you know 2 weeks ago yesterday lets see who hears first
tick tick tick ......

The NSC processing dates haven't been updated yet (not that that means anything, of course) but so far we're encouraged by the speed of things.

Thanks, Poppy girl.....we were quite worried that they'd whip that ten year card right out of his hand and send us back to square one, but all for naught.

~SG
Old Nov 15th 2006, 7:04 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrpink
Excellent! Easy as pie, my old friend.

Ian
Old Nov 16th 2006, 5:16 am
Forum Regular

Suess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to all
Cool Re: I751 Biometrics appt, with error on PR card

Hi,

Congratulations............................

And it's good news for me (hopefully). My Green Card has the same error as yours, 10 years instead of 2.

I'll be filing my I751 soon.

Sue
Old Nov 17th 2006, 3:34 am
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

WTG and congrats, mr. Pink. Nice to read your update, and glad it's going smooth so far!

Elaine