Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I601 us Immigration...HELP PLEASE!!!!!

Wikiposts

I601 us Immigration...HELP PLEASE!!!!!

Old Aug 11th 2011, 5:51 am
Just Joined

nouchka is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I601 us Immigration...HELP PLEASE!!!!!

Filling i601 form because I overstayed in the USA. Anyone been the situation? Do you know any lawyer that can help.
Thanks
Old Aug 11th 2011, 6:05 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I601 us Immigration...HELP PLEASE!!!!!

Originally Posted by nouchka
Filling i601 form because I overstayed in the USA.
An overstay doesn't automatically mean you're inadmissible and would need an I-601 waiver.

Perhaps if you gave some background information, we'd be better able to advise you.

1) How long did you overstay?
2) Were you here on the Visa Waiver Program or did you have a visa?
3) If you had a visa, what type of visa?
4) How long have you been outside the US?
5) Why do you want to come back to the US?

Anyone been the situation?
Some people have, yes.

Ian
Old Aug 11th 2011, 7:20 am
Just Joined

Hi ian-mstm
Thank you for your prompt reply,
My husband filled the i130 for me in 2008, he is a green card holder. We were approved and I had my interview in London and was denied visa because I overstayed for more than 360 days. We have a daughter who is american citizen.
We are trying to fill the i601 the form but our lawyer in America never handled a London case. My husband has to prove "extreme hardship"
Do you know a good lawyer who can handle the case?
Old Aug 11th 2011, 7:23 am
Just Joined

3)I was on B2 visa.
4)I was living in the US with my husband and daughter
5)I want to come back because we have a home there.

Last edited by nouchka; Aug 11th 2011 at 7:29 am.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 7:53 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi ian-mstm
Thank you for your prompt reply,
My husband filled the i130 for me in 2008, he is a green card holder. We were approved and I had my interview in London and was denied visa because I overstayed for more than 360 days. We have a daughter who is american citizen.
We are trying to fill the i601 the form but our lawyer in America never handled a London case. My husband has to prove "extreme hardship"
Do you know a good lawyer who can handle the case?
Go to www.ailalawyer.com and make some contacts.

Rene
Old Aug 11th 2011, 8:06 am
Just Joined

Thank you Noorah101
Old Aug 11th 2011, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

My husband filled the i130 for me in 2008, he is a green card holder.
How long has he been a greencard holder? Since 2008 only or before that?
Old Aug 11th 2011, 8:32 am
Just Joined

He's been Green card holder since 2007. His parents are American citizens.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 10:09 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I overstayed for more than 360 days.
The day you left the US, you immediately triggered a 10-year ban from the US. Now I understand why you need a waiver. Sadly, if you hadn't left the US you would likely have been fine. When, exactly, did you leave the US?

We have a daughter who is american citizen.
Having a USC daughter will neither help nor hurt you.

I was living in the US with my husband and daughter.
Respectfully, you were not. You were visiting the US. It's a very important difference!

Ian
Old Aug 11th 2011, 10:50 am
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm confused? Your husband is only a PR yet he filed an I130 in 2008 and it was already approved? I didn't think PRs could get approval for a spouse that quickly, I thought it took years? When you say you had an interview, was it an interview for the spouse visa or the B2 visitor visa? If it was for a visitor visa you are not allowed to stay in the US for longer than 6 months.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 11:40 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Filling i601 form because I overstayed in the USA. Anyone been the situation? Do you know any lawyer that can help.
Thanks
I don't do individual cases anymore, but rather consultation and writing for other lawyers. As it happens, I'm working TODAY on an I-601 for a 212(i) waiver -- which has many of the same requirements as the overstay waiver. In fact, much of the case law involves both waivers.

I've noted that AAU has finally gotten its act together -- but remember that AAU handles appeals of cases that were denied in the first place. Many of the denial are boilerplate recitation of the case law, note a fact, and then find no extreme hardship.

Lawyers are taught the "IRAC" rule for answering exam questions which is "Issue, Rule, Application of rule to facts, Conclusion. DHS seems to often follow and "IRC" rule of "Issue, Rule, you lose."

Good luck.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Squirrel
I'm confused? Your husband is only a PR yet he filed an I130 in 2008 and it was already approved? I didn't think PRs could get approval for a spouse that quickly, I thought it took years? When you say you had an interview, was it an interview for the spouse visa or the B2 visitor visa? If it was for a visitor visa you are not allowed to stay in the US for longer than 6 months.
I was also surprised that it happened so fast. We made the mistake by not consulting a lawyer.
My interview was for the spouse visa.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 2:39 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Squirrel
When an LPR files an I-130 for a foreign spouse, the I-130 approval can come as quickly as 5 or 6 months. It's the backlog in that visa category which takes a long time...it takes time for a visa number to become available. That time frame can speed up or slow down. Perhaps at one time it was taking 5 years for a case like that to get completed....at one time it was also only a 2-year wait...and then back up to 3 or 4, etc.

Rene
Old Aug 12th 2011, 12:00 am
Account Closed

We made the mistake by not consulting a lawyer.
Sadly, your biggest mistake was leaving the US.

Ian
Old Aug 12th 2011, 7:51 am
Just Joined

Ian, does it mean I don't have any chance to return to the US in the near future?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.