Wikiposts

I134 form for K1visa

Old Aug 6th 2008, 2:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I134 form for K1visa

Originally Posted by minniemouse
thank you for all of that info - and just to clear it up my fiance does not have a husband that would be very confusing, i did mean his father. as my fiance does not have any previous marriage or children to worry about it sounds like it should all be fairly straight forward then.
so thank you, all of that info has put my mind at rest. lets just hope all of the forms hurry up now so that we can finally get there and start our lives together.
oh and one more thing, this is looking to the future, i am not pregnant at the mo, but does anyone happen to know how we would ensure that our children will be able to have dual passports for the uk and the usa? after everything we've had to go through with my visa so far we want to make sure our kids have the option to live in either country for the future. would our children need to be born in england to have dual passports?

thank you
If your child is born in the US, he/she will be a US citizen. Actually, probably if he/she is born abroad as well. If the child is NOT born in the US, the father must have spent the requisite amount of time living in the US to confer citizenship. But if he's basically spent his life living in the US, his children will be US citizens automatically.

I'm not sure about the UK side, but I believe if you are a native born citizen of the UK, he/she would be a UK citizen as well. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong here I'm sure.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 6:05 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

oh and regarding the sponsorship / joint sponsorship issue for the I134. My fiance does earn over the $17,500 it it will be no problem for him to submit last years tax return but my concern is that since march he has been off work as he has been living here in england with me and I have been supporting us on my wage since he has been here. So if they are interested in tax years (april to april) then this tax year so far my fiance has not earnt a penny. It will be no problem to get a letter from his employer stating that he his job waiting for him back in the states though, do you think that would be sufficient? Is this something I need to go through during my interview at the US London embassy or will that hold everything up if I haven't sorted it all out by then?
mm, small inconsistency here...
For financial sponsorship, there are two different requirements---one is for his current income, the other is for his past tax returns. They don't actually have anything to do with each other.
The tax return shows what he earned last year (end Dec07).
Other evidence shows his current income, which is currently zero. He is not making +$17500 right now.

Financial support (more accurately for a K-1 visa, 'Overcoming the Public Charge Issue' ) must be supplied at the interview or the visa can not be issued.

The US tax year is January-December.

oh and one more thing, this is looking to the future, i am not pregnant at the mo, but does anyone happen to know how we would ensure that our children will be able to have dual passports for the uk and the usa? after everything we've had to go through with my visa so far we want to make sure our kids have the option to live in either country for the future. would our children need to be born in england to have dual passports?
thank you
Please go to the British Expats Wiki and among the other great articles in the US Immigration section, look for the Rich Wales Dual Citizenship FAQ. There are some important things you need to understand before creating your own little duals.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 6:08 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
You cannot sponsor yourself all the way through the process.
Well, through the use of assets, and even US-based income, you can.

I don't see the inconsistency with "self-sponsoring" (that's another one of the internet's made-up terms btw.. a Consular Officer wouldn't necessarily know what one meant by that). If the UKC (and yes, this is most common in the UK) has sufficient assets and can pass their K-1 interview with them, why can't they use those assets for their I-864 at Adjustment?
Old Aug 6th 2008, 6:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Well, through the use of assets, and even US-based income, you can.

I don't see the inconsistency with "self-sponsoring" (that's another one of the internet's made-up terms btw.. a Consular Officer wouldn't necessarily know what one meant by that). If the UKC (and yes, this is most common in the UK) has sufficient assets and can pass their K-1 interview with them, why can't they use those assets for their I-864 at Adjustment?
Perhaps we're having an issue of semantics - for the AOS even if you yourself have enough income and assets, while those may be counted, the spouse still has to sign the I-864 and be the official sponsor, yes?
Old Aug 6th 2008, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by Tracym
Perhaps we're having an issue of semantics - for the AOS even if you yourself have enough income and assets, while those may be counted, the spouse still has to sign the I-864 and be the official sponsor, yes?
Yes, the USC spouse is always the Sponsor.
Their spouse's income and assets may be used to satisfy the I-864.

What's mine is mine and what's yours is mine too.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 6:55 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

The visa fee for the K1 is $131 US or 65 UK which gets paid at the embassy. Knightsbridge doctors is 180 UK and the courier to send back your passport after the interview is 14 UK. These were the fees this past June. My friend is American but has lived in the UK for 17 years and her kids were born there and have US and British Passports.I also have a friend who grew up in Ireland but her momlied in the Us for over 20 years and she hasdula citizenship. Your fiancee must have lived in the US for a certain number of years after age 14 for the kids to get US passports if they are born in the UK. I think it's 5 years but I'm not sure. . Obviously if they are born in the US they will automatically be US citizens.