Reload this Page >

I130 approved, what to expect next?

Wikiposts

I130 approved, what to expect next?

Old Nov 26th 2004, 9:41 pm
SSJ
Forum Regular

SSJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Question I130 approved, what to expect next?

Hi all,

Read the FAQs but still confused about the I-130 procedure. I'm a Canadian and my USC husband filed I-130 in November 2003 for me, and I just checked on-line status that says our I130 was approved, notice sent out on Sept 28, 2004. I don't know what's gonna happen next? Will the US Consulate General in Vancouver contact me soon? By the way we didn't apply for K3 Visa, because my husband has been doing overseas military tours (still 6 to 24 more months to go), so our two small kids (both dual US-CDN citizenship) and I won't be moving to US just yet. Thanks a lot!
Old Nov 27th 2004, 6:50 am
Forum Regular

Lost2003 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I130 approved, what to expect next?

Hi,
Your approved I-130 i sgoing to get sent to the National Visa Center (NVC). They'll send you then DS-3032 to appoint and officer or if you have an attorney they'll just send you the fee bill for DS-230 ($65) and I-864 ($330). After they receive your payment, they will mail the forms and instructions. After they get those back, they will forward your file to the appropriate consulate, which will contact you for the interview. They whole process could take 4-6 months after the approval.
Good luck.
Old Nov 27th 2004, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

utopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the rough

It may take a while before you hear from the NVC. My I-130 for my wife was approved on September 16, 2004 but I did not receive anything from the NVC until this week.

Originally Posted by Lost2003
Hi,
Your approved I-130 i sgoing to get sent to the National Visa Center (NVC). They'll send you then DS-3032 to appoint and officer or if you have an attorney they'll just send you the fee bill for DS-230 ($65) and I-864 ($330). After they receive your payment, they will mail the forms and instructions. After they get those back, they will forward your file to the appropriate consulate, which will contact you for the interview. They whole process could take 4-6 months after the approval.
Good luck.
Old Nov 30th 2004, 12:35 am
SSJ
Forum Regular

SSJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Question on DS-3032, timing on immigrant visa, and change of name...

Thanks to both of you. Got my Choice of Agent form (DS-3032)from NVC yesterday. I probably will not name an agent since I don't have a lawyer, and my husband (lives in US) will soon be deployed overseas till June, 2005. Is the rest of the process (I-320 etc.) easy enough for me to handle or is it better to find an immigration lawyer here in Canada? Also my husband only has 7 days left before he leaves US, I suppose he should download the I-864 and take care of it now? Anything else I should get from him before he leaves? What kind of packet will NVC send to me?

Also another concern for us is the timing. I believe I should be able to get my immigrant visa before June 2005. But do I have a time limit on when to enter US with it? My husband will probably come up Canada next July to take me and our two small kids to US. What if in a few months he decides to go on yet another overseas tour-- can our kids and I come back to Canada to be with my parents and relatives while he's away?

By the way a few months ago I've changed from my maiden last name to my husband's last name. Should I contact NVC about it or wait till interview?

Thank you all in advance. :-)

Last edited by SSJ; Nov 30th 2004 at 12:39 am.
Old Nov 30th 2004, 5:42 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SSJ
Will the US Consulate General in Vancouver contact me soon?
Your interview(s) will be in Montreal, not Vancouver.
The NVC collects all MTL doc and will set your eventual interview(s). (the plural is for the kids, don't know what their situation is)

The visa, once issued, is valid for 6 months. You may enter the US and activate it, and then leave again if you're not ready to move. But, you will be considered a US Resident from that day on, so see if there will be any tax or other implications for you.

As for returning to Canada for an extended time (your husband's next next tour), if it will be more than 6 months, it would be money well spent to consult with an immigration attorney *well familiar* with the abandonment issue. They may be able to offer you a specific set of guidelines to follow in order to maintain your residency status.